Spyderco Sheepsfoot Blades: Likes, Dislikes and Favorite Models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco Sheepsfoot Blades: Likes, Dislikes and Favorite Models?

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 pm
Pingo was the only one I’ve ever owned. Cool knife
Well I hope I'm not getting a case of the "Stupids" :o >> but I don't really think I am. My question to all of you is this. Are the Pingo and Rock Lobster models really true-blue "Sheepsfoot" blades? Because to me those models look like some modified Wharncliffe type blade rather than a utility "Sheepsfoot" blade like we've seen for years on the Mariner, D'Allara, The RESCUE models, and various other models with those types of blade designs.

I've never heard anyone up till now refer to the Rock Lobster or Pingo models as being Sheepsfoot blades. Because when you look at all the classic Spyderco Sheepsfoot bladed models you see a blade that is thick and blunt on the end as a type of safety feature for uses by first responders.

They just don't seem like utility, emergency or Rescue type knives to me like all the other Spyderco "sheepsfoot" blade are. :confused:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I said at the beginning of the discussion that I was assuming true sheepsfoot blades and not the category of modified sheepsfoot blades. Although I do like both, where one would draw the line is always a grey area. I might even say the rock lobster is one, the picture of one earlier in the posts has a modified tip. In terms of the safety aspect of a sheepsfoot, it would be hard for me to call something like a pacific salt a "modified sheepsfoot" even though it is sometimes called that. That tip is still straight up stabbing and piercing something if you want it to. There is definitely a difference. Also what about belly? A little I let slide but alot of belly is hard for me to view as a sheepsfoot.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also didnt start this topic I was just trying to bring up the issue of a true sheepsfoot vs modified early on.
I cant deny that my spydiechefs blade profile is a modified sheepsfoot. However given its belly, and the fact that the tip can still pierce something perpendicularly, I certainly cant call it a true sheepsfoot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What's funny about that blade tip is it's only just slightly more pointy than it came.

I definitely consider the original a sheepsfoot. I'm pretty confident I could "rescue" someone without stabbing them too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ha. I just looked back and realized JD Spydo was the one to respond to me a couple days ago when I said that. Yeah I think its an interesting aspect. Semantics possibly, but at what point can you no longer call something a variation of what its based on given how different it is?
Slightly more pointy Evil D. Its awesome by the way.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I hope to see more in the future - I came up with an idea for a sheepsfoot Lil native a while back...

EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:26 pm
I hope to see more in the future - I came up with an idea for a sheepsfoot Lil native a while back...

I'd be ALL OVER THAT!
-Turbo
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
I'd be ALL OVER THAT!
Me too!!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Dazen wrote:
bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
I'd be ALL OVER THAT!
Me too!!
I made a thread for it a while back (see link below), don't want to derail the broader sheepsfoot discussion here :) Still, very happy to know it's an appealing design.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83586
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 pm
What's funny about that blade tip is it's only just slightly more pointy than it came.

I definitely consider the original a sheepsfoot. I'm pretty confident I could "rescue" someone without stabbing them too.
That's true but you can also rescue someone with a Wharncliffe blade without stabbing them too. I'm just wondering at this point what the true definition of a sheepsfoot blade really is.

I've even wondered about the serrated blade on the C-44 Dyad model as to whether or not it fell under that definition too. Because if you look at that particular blade closely it has a belly to it>> ever so slightly yes but it still has a convex belly >> which I like by the way. That's one of the big selling points on the big C-44 Dyad to me anyway. The entire concept of that double bladed knife is just an awesome utility cutting set up from what I can discern.

I've even wondered about that big kitchen knife Spyderco used to have called the Santoku if it even falls under that category?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:26 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 pm

That's true but you can also rescue someone with a Wharncliffe blade without stabbing them too. I'm just wondering at this point what the true definition of a sheepsfoot blade really is.

I've even wondered about the serrated blade on the C-44 Dyad model as to whether or not it fell under that definition too. Because if you look at that particular blade closely it has a belly to it>> ever so slightly yes but it still has a convex belly >> which I like by the way. That's one of the big selling points on the big C-44 Dyad to me anyway. The entire concept of that double bladed knife is just an awesome utility cutting set up from what I can discern.

I've even wondered about that big kitchen knife Spyderco used to have called the Santoku if it even falls under that category?

I actually meant my modified version, I'm pretty sure I could cut a seat belt with it without stabbing someone but obviously that wasn't my intent when I modded it.

For me the sheepsfoot is more of a "potential" than anything else. What I mean is, they usually have the amount of belly that I like (or none at all) but for my daily uses I usually have to reprofile the blade to be happy with it since my primary use isn't saving people from burning cars. In some ways I even prefer this modded shape over a true wharnie because I have control over how thin and fragile I make the tip, when by comparison I'm stuck with a Yojimbo 2 unless I want to shorten the blade to blunt the tip down a bit.

I really don't get caught up in the definitions too much, since I'm prone to mod things to my liking anyway.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sure definitions can be skewed. Take the ASSIST model>> it's not only got a rounded end it's also got a abnormally thicker end than most Sheepsfoot blades in the Spyderco line up. I do believe that the Sheepsfoot blade will be in the Spyderco line up to some degree for at least the foreseeable future.
But Spyderco has made a good living supplying types of knives that no one else makes for the most part. I'm wondering about what the virtues of a fixed blade sheepsfoot might have to offer?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:25 am
I'm wondering about what the virtues of a fixed blade sheepsfoot might have to offer?

The original Jumpmaster was definitely a sheepsfoot.
~David