External Stop Pins

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

External Stop Pins

Post by Baron Mind »

I was gushing about why I love Spyderco in a Facebook group, and thinking about all the features I look for in knives, and the only thing I could think of that I like about other companies knives are external stop pins.

Often these double as thumb studs, but not always. Could Spyderco design a knife with a Spydiehole opener and external stop pins?

The advantage of external stop pins is the added lateral rigidity, aka less susceptible to side to side blade play, and added prying ability, if you are so inclined. I first saw this concept discussed in videos from neroknives on YouTube. Check him out if you want to hear more about it.

I've noticed some taichung models feature a pin in the blade that rides along a track milled into the handles. Does this have the same effect?

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in some new Spyderco models with external stop pins?
Evil D

Re: External Stop Pins

Post by Evil D »

Check out the Vallotton Sub-Hilt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:06 pm
Check out the Vallotton Sub-Hilt.
Ah, that's encouraging!

Only question then is do Spyderco customers want more?

I know I do.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

The way I see it is that the external pins on the Sub-hilt provide a substantial steel-on-steel interface to stop the energy of the swinging blade when in it's automatic configuration.

Lots of knives, other autos even, have tiny little stop pins, sometimes mounted in aluminum. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm a big fan of them for the laterla rigidity. Even if the pivot loosens, blade play is minimal. Don't care about the prying, just like that solidity. It really is perceptible too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd prefer there is nothing added to the blade. Thumb studs/external stop pins just get in the way of use.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ferider

Post by ferider »

Several Spydercos have a stop pin integrated with the blade, but invisible to the user. For example the Chaparral, Smock, Szabo, etc. This has mechanically the same effect (adds lateral rigidity), and doesn't obstruct the hole. Here, from Nick's video, in the Smock:

The Smock is a mechanical marvel, BTW, more sophisticated than a Hinderer (which I believe you refer to, and I have several, just saying :) ).
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

ferider wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 am
Several Spydercos have a stop pin integrated with the blade, but invisible to the user. For example the Chaparral, Smock, Szabo, etc. This has mechanically the same effect (adds lateral rigidity), and doesn't obstruct the hole. Here, from Nick's video, in the Smock:

The Smock is a mechanical marvel, BTW, more sophisticated than a Hinderer (which I believe you refer to, and I have several, just saying :) ).
Ah yes, that's what I was asking about in my second to last paragraph. I've only noticed it on my sage 5, and Brouwer, but I wasn't quite sure what was going on in there, or why rather.

I think it probably makes the comp lock less drop shutty, and they got gunned up on my Brouwer (disassembled and cleaned out), but I'm all for it if it has benefits in use.