Manix 2 XL Love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crazywednesday

Re: Manix 2 XL Love?

Post by crazywednesday »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:31 am
Love the manix XL.

round off the edges of the handle (Shaman handle treatment).
Its a long shot, but I would actually like to see this done to the majority of Spyderco's lineup.
Justin
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:31 am
Love the manix XL.

PLEASE keep liners though (but take it easy on the jimping) and round off the edges of the handle (Shaman handle treatment). You would see a complete rejuvenation of this model.
This would be a great addition, but I wonder how it would affect the price.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Slvr01Stang

Post by Slvr01Stang »

What I like about the Manix 2 XL so much is that it is such an ergonomic knife. For me, I have large glove sized, hands. The knife just fits my hand perfectly. I also compare it to Hinderer and a couple ZT models, just the way it sits and feels in hand but has a more slicier, thinner blade stock. Pure performance. Tank of a knife without being over build, which is what I love about it. Match this model with a killer high performance steels, like K390, M390, CTS204P, M4 would be a dream. I know Spyderco came out with the S90V model years ago, but I feel like most people don't want to deal with sharpening S90V. Or at least I know I don't. If I was in Law enforcement, Military, or first responder, this would be my work carry knife, and I would trust my life with it. Sal, please make this happen!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve gotta stop reading the forums. Now I’m interested in a Manix 2 XL with DLC coating. As a bonus, it also seems to be the only DLC Spyderco in which all(?) the inner hardware is also DLC coated.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 pm
I’ve gotta stop reading the forums. Now I’m interested in a Manix 2 XL with DLC coating. As a bonus, it also seems to be the only DLC Spyderco in which all(?) the inner hardware is also DLC coated.

Jim
The spring and ball for the cbbl are not coated, and the part of the blade tang that rubs against the ball is bare. Oh, and the inside of the lanyard tube looks uncoated. Everything else is. Blade, liner, clip, hardware, outside of the lanyard tube and the standoff.

Not only does it look better, but in my experience the knife is nearly as corrosion resistant as a salt. I'm sure if I dunked it in the ocean like I have my Pacific Salt I'd see some rust, but as far as carrying it IWB on a hot summer day, my sweat doesn't phase it. Rusts anything else that isn't a salt, even if I keep the knife in my pocket (See my Police 4 take down).

I think I'll give my Pacific Salt a rest and carry mine today. It's such a nice knife. Slvr01Stang put it well, it's a highly ergonomic tank of a knife, with a blade built for performance. It actually cuts well, unlike some tank folders.

I've said it many times, but the fact that its been in the line-up for a decade means it sells well enough that it should get another sprint. I bet a nice DLC tool steel exclusive would sell fast.
:unicorn
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

James Y wrote:

Jim
The black Manix 2 G10 (non-XL) also has coated liners and all.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:14 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
The spring and ball for the cbbl are not coated, and the part of the blade tang that rubs against the ball is bare. Oh, and the inside of the lanyard tube looks uncoated. Everything else is. Blade, liner, clip, hardware, outside of the lanyard tube and the standoff.

Not only does it look better, but in my experience the knife is nearly as corrosion resistant as a salt. I'm sure if I dunked it in the ocean like I have my Pacific Salt I'd see some rust, but as far as carrying it IWB on a hot summer day, my sweat doesn't phase it. Rusts anything else that isn't a salt, even if I keep the knife in my pocket (See my Police 4 take down).

I think I'll give my Pacific Salt a rest and carry mine today. It's such a nice knife. Slvr01Stang put it well, it's a highly ergonomic tank of a knife, with a blade built for performance. It actually cuts well, unlike some tank folders.

I've said it many times, but the fact that its been in the line-up for a decade means it sells well enough that it should get another sprint. I bet a nice DLC tool steel exclusive would sell fast.
Thanks, Vivi!

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ez556 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
The black Manix 2 G10 (non-XL) also has coated liners and all.
Thanks for the info. Something I just noticed is, in spite of the size difference, according to the product descriptions, the Manix 2 XL isn’t much heavier than the regular G10 Manix 2, which I find interesting.

Jim
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:

I've said it many times, but the fact that its been in the line-up for a decade means it sells well enough that it should get another sprint. I bet a nice DLC tool steel exclusive sprint run would sell fast.
I fixed it.
Sorry but I would like to buy it in Europe and not pay 1/3 of the price for extra shipping and taxes.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

I'm thinking OD Green Canvas Micarta with DLC Cruwear. Cruwear is already pretty close to being stainless. DLC would really be the icing on the cake.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:28 am
Vivi wrote:
James Y wrote:
I'm thinking OD Green Canvas Micarta with DLC Cruwear. Cruwear is already pretty close to being stainless. DLC would really be the icing on the cake.

Micarta could probably make me buy the current, "heavy" version of the "XL"... I just really like that material, though from a practical point of view for me it offers no advantage over FRN .

But I´d still be fine with uncoated S30V... just want that Micarta ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 pm
Vivi wrote:

I've said it many times, but the fact that its been in the line-up for a decade means it sells well enough that it should get another sprint. I bet a nice DLC tool steel exclusive sprint run would sell fast.
I fixed it.
Sorry but I would like to buy it in Europe and not pay 1/3 of the price for extra shipping and taxes.
I'd rather see a sprint than an exclusive as well. Even here in the US it just gives more options. And frankly this forum isn't ideally the place to be opining about exclusives anyways, for that I'd think it'd be better to just shoot emails to your favorite retailers/distributors begging for them to spec out an exlusive how you want.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

We can't let this thread to go past first page in forum!
Cru- Wear Manix XL for the win!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:44 am
I'd love an FRN version too. Big knives don't have to be heavy. The old linerless Voyagers were awesome! 5" blades in a 5oz package, and they were bigger than the Manix too. I'd like to see a ~4oz Manix XL LW, and if a man can really dream make mine a Salt!
Get outta my head!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ferider

Post by ferider »

I just ordered the new Flytanium Ti Manix XL scales .... would love to have a Cruwear copy for these. For now, S90V will have to do.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:11 pm
I thought I saw some 4V exclusives or sprints.

sal
There is a hope!
Ravenstone87

Post by Ravenstone87 »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:29 pm
I've said in more than a few threads that I'd LOVE to see a DLC 4V sprint run of the Manix 2 XL with either ranger/OD green or brown/coyote scales. Theres even a thread thats a few months old with a pole about what steel people would like to see in a Manix 2 XL sprint and 4V/V4E eeked out a win there, with Cruwear right behind it. K390 would be okay too, as long as its DLC coated. Same ranger green scales though. The Manix 2 XL is such a beast of a folder and it deserves a tough steel to match!
Late to the party, but keeping alive the requests for this awesome knife deserves reviving a thread. Let me just jump on the wagon here, because you are very correct that the strong frame of Manix 2 XL sure deserves some 4V/V4E sprint, and most definitely with some Ranger Green/OD scales! Man, did I get excited reading that idea...

Ever since I bought my first Manix 2 XL and used it for work, I never looked back—one of the best performing knives I've ever handled. Large, yet slim and low-profile. Strong and just heavy enough to assist with cutting through tougher materials, yet carries very lightly. Strong blade and tip, yet fine enough for precision work. Truly an amazing platform.

I'm still awaiting the day when it receives its well-earned upgrade to S110V as part of the regular catalog, which would bring this knife to its very best. A lockback version people bring up here and there also sounds very exciting.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’m a big fan of mine in M4…. Haven’t used 4v but I’m curious to try it and from everything I’ve heard it seems like a great pairing. I’d also love to see one in rex 45, which to me represents the ultimate beater steel out of everything I’ve used.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Ooh a Rex45 Manix 2 XL would be pretty killer...
I’d thought that the Military is the best platform for that steel and orange color for me, but maybe not?
Always tough choices, but things could be simplified for me if MagnaCut or 52100 pops up in the Manix XL and Military.
Of course, either way that means I’m happy for more of the Manix XL!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Ravenstone87

Post by Ravenstone87 »

Some models have already been sprinted in Rex 45, a sprint of Manix 2 XL would truly be the king... And imagine the sprint in 4V with Ranger Green scales and black-coated blade and hardware. Pure awesomeness for a large model like that, especially since in my use it's proven to outperform a Millie.