Hawkbilled SE Manix 2 XL Golden made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Hawkbilled SE Manix 2 XL Golden made.

Post by legOFwhat? »

Since there has been chatter about hawkbilled blades recently, it got me thinking about a larger version of the Spyderhawk. Since I had a few knives handy I grabbed my BB G10 Manix2 and tried to imagine if it would house such a blade and I think it could work in the handle of the XL since it has a more pronounced pinky stop...

Would a robust handle of G-10/steel liner work well or would a LW version tickle your fancy? Anyone else like this idea or am I a loner? :D

Edited for clarity: Removing the choil to gain extra cutting edge.
Last edited by legOFwhat? on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
phaust

Re: Hawkbilled SE Manix 2 XL Golden made.

Post by phaust »

The Spyderhawk has more edge (very slightly) than the M2 XL already, so I'm not sure that would be a size upgrade in that sense
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a most interesting idea. It actually would be about the same size and scale of the SUPERHAWK or just slightly bigger. It would sure be a Hawkbill with muscle and probably one that would work well if they made it in GOLDEN, CO.

It would be a lot more stout and have considerably more bulk that anything we've had so far. And if they did it in SE you could count me in for sure.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

phaust wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am
The Spyderhawk has more edge (very slightly) than the M2 XL already, so I'm not sure that would be a size upgrade in that sense
Should have mentioned removing the choil to gain extra cutting edge.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
phaust

Post by phaust »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:35 am
phaust wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am
Should have mentioned removing the choil to gain extra cutting edge.
That gets my vote!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It does sound like a slightly larger Superhawk. The Manix 2 XL handle would definitely work well for the pull cuts you'll be doing with a hawkbill so it does make sense as long as you can squeeze an adequate amount of curve into that handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 am
This is a most interesting idea. It actually would be about the same size and scale of the SUPERHAWK or just slightly bigger. It would sure be a Hawkbill with muscle and probably one that would work well if they made it in GOLDEN, CO.

It would be a lot more stout and have considerably more bulk that anything we've had so far. And if they did it in SE you could count me in for sure.
Was hoping you would chime in JD, SE would be a must for me as well. With the great index finger shaping the Manix has coupled with the pullcut master the HB blade is, I think they would really complement each other.
As far as steel goes S30V, LC200N or even 52100 with DLC would be interesting. I wonder how steels like Cruwear or 4V could work with spyderedge?
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 am

Was hoping you would chime in JD, SE would be a must for me as well. With the great index finger shaping the Manix has coupled with the pullcut master the HB blade is, I think they would really complement each other.
As far as steel goes S30V, LC200N or even 52100 with DLC would be interesting. I wonder how steels like Cruwear or 4V could work with spyderedge?
As far as any of these newer steels being good in SE I've heard from at least 6 sources now that XHP does do well in SE. If there is any way we could get Spyderco to consider this it would be awesome. This would do 3 things>> first and foremost we could have a Hawkbill made in GOLDEN, CO>> second we could have a Hawkbill folder with with better scales and blade>> third it's just like I said we could have a Hawkbill with bulk and muscle. Just like a lot of the GOLDEN Made folders have been in the past.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

How about we just plain bring back the Superhawk? Please?
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

BDNX wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 pm
How about we just plain bring back the Superhawk? Please?
Yes, in FRN with 200LC