What's wrong with S30V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Re: What's wrong with S30V?

Post by Slash »

Believe it's a bit hard to sharpen for some people. For me it's kinda a chippy steel
vivi

Post by vivi »

What'd you do that made your S30V chip? Spyderco or a different brand? Factory edge or reprofiled?
:unicorn
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 pm
What'd you do that made your S30V chip? Spyderco or a different brand? Factory edge or reprofiled?
Not the person you directed this at, but...
My first S30V knife chipped. It was a PM1. The tip (~2-3 mm) broke off when I dropped it accidently on a hardwood floor. Stuck the landing :)
But that was not the chip. I had two edge chunks (~1 mm deep and maybe 2 mm long) lost when I was carving a piece of wood to fit some hardware. Pine. That had me worried about S30V, but it was the only one of several subsequent S30V knives that never had a problem. I'm pretty sure I was not the only one that reported that way back when, but I can say my experience was first hand, not internet rumors. But given the large number of spydies in s30v out there now, and not many reports, I do not think there is a real concern.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah that's surprising pine of all woods would do that. I've had much better luck carving different woods with my S30V spydies. Thanks for sharing.
:unicorn
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Nothing is wrong with S30V.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've chipped about every steel I've tried to some degree or another. Even H1. Never could call a steel chippy besides some 1095 that crumbled when sharpening due to a botched ht. Worst accidental chip was on a Lionsteel fixed blade in m390. No idea how that happened, either.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Pretty soon someone's going to 1up ALL YOU GUYS with a thread labeled "What's wrong with 440C?" Haha

"You kids don't know how good you've got it, back in my day 400C accomplished everything we needed and then some!"

This whole steel mess is nothing but perspective and opinion. There's plenty of people out there that live a sirloin steak. I myself really like sirloin, but with the availability of Ribeyes, Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, NY Strips, Porterhouse, etc, I rarely buy Sirloin steaks. Does it mean I'm "too good" for a juicy flavorful yet lean Sirloin? Nope. Does it mean I dislike Sirloin? Nope. It's just a personal preference and my perspective. And I'm not going to tell someone they're "wrong" for preferring sirloin or any other cut for that matter. Nor am I going to act like they're not a steak connoisseur. Different strokes for different folks.

I realize no analogy is perfect, and when it comes to blade steel there is science behind the different chemical composition is of each steel and more science showcasing the difference in performance. And that difference in performance can be vast. For Pete's sake we're on the cusp of getting CPM 15V!!! Most of us didn't even know what that was a handful of years ago. And yes, 15V will absolutely crush s30v regarding most aspects of performance, but still, in the end it is all preference and perspective. No one is wrong. And certainly no one is a complainer for voicing their opinion or preferring a different blade steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

Chippy, brittle, not much better than vg10 or aus8. It was a fad everyone followed because Chris Reeve used it. It was only a fad.

Both zt 20v
Super freek m4
Bradley m4
Native s35vn
Titanium chaparral cta-xhp
Paras both maxamet
Attachments
B7AD9216-CED8-44C0-8FA2-A70242014ED4.jpeg
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sometimes, when I am on YT or etc. and see what is said about knife steels, people all sound like parrots of one another. It makes me want to put on my hip waders.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050