Shaman Cruwear; Brown Micarta characteristics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nicked.onaut

Shaman Cruwear; Brown Micarta characteristics

Post by nicked.onaut »

The Shaman Brown Micarta Cruwear Sprint is likely a quick sellout when it reaches vendors, if the FOMO frenzy is any indication. The scale and steel combination has been popular in posts since the earliest rumors. They are not yet widely in the wild, so I hope this post will address some queries about the scales. (Tons of Cruwear info is extant...)

“Brown Micarta” comes in a variety of tints, resins, materials, and weaves. Here I will contrast the Shaman Micarta scales with some I made for the Native 5 “Blurple” G10 / S110V.

The Shaman Micarta is a coarser weave, with a different layup appearance ( see later pics re: layers). The fibers do not seem as impregnated with resin. The finish is not as smooth as with the Native scales. Overall, the Shaman scales have greater friction with the grip; along with the thicker contoured ergonomic profile, this will be well-appreciated with the tough tasks for which the Shaman is designed.

I wanted the Native 5 scales to be thin and pocket slick. The tighter weave is also more forgiving with my handmade approach especially re: the stepped drill for the pivot holes, the stepped and chamfered torx holes, and the clip screw holes which lie closest to the lanyard tube.

You can see this manifest with some of the fiber pullout on the Shaman Micarta, where the fiber frays are flexible, not rigid.

The dusky non-tinted appearance of the Shaman Micarta suggests it will also accept more dye /richer color than the fine-textured Native 5 Micarta.

Note that the hole forward of the backlock cutout is for Native 5s such as the Blurple, the Black G10, the 154/S90V, the 2013 Forum knife (an a few others, but NOT interchangeable with the Forest Green G10 S90V, nor the Cruwear Native with smooth G10 (nor others) which have a PIN. I took these off the Blurple Native after six months, and would have slapped them on the Cruwear when it came along a few years later, but no go.

Closer view of the weave and texture comparison:

This is the tighter weave of the Native 5 Micarta (which I know by source, from Norplex)

And this is a closer match to what I think Spyderco is using, which must also be Norplex sourced due the “Micarta” trademark. Spyderco may have obtained their own batch/specs/tint, which I consider is their business. This looks the same as that on the Temperance 2, an probably I should pull one out for comparison pics.

Here you can see the level of finish on the flat, contours, and transverse surfaces. This should also darken with the application of various oils or surface treatments if one so chooses.

By comparison , the Native 5 Micarta scales were hand sanded wet to 1200, then buffed with 4x bronze wool with a blended mix of orange oil, paste wax, and beeswax (then carried over a six month period).

The inner edge of the scales reflect the waviness of the layers as seen in transverse section, with a sawtooth-like appearance. I will gently sand these inner edges, and remove the fraye fibers seen in some areas.
BTW back before the great Rutland fire, when you could get laminates made to spec with a variety of hardwoods, I obtained some quarter-sawn oak dymondwood like laminates, and the flecks/digital rays seen in transverse section remind me of this micarta appearance in transverse. (which will mean nothing to most of you, lol.)

For a less cringe-provoking clothing reference than in that other thread (poor impressionable nine-year-old with a seminal life-long memory affecting his Spyderco preferences! consider the sales potential if he had busted in on Raquel Welch in the changing room...), think of the zig-zag pattern as akin too Charlie Brown's argyle sweater.

Enjoy this Sprint Shaman, and let's hope for more to come as bombshelled by Sal.
Sal, you've crafted another classic that will stand the test of time and hard work.
JuPaul

Re: Shaman Cruwear; Brown Micarta characteristics

Post by JuPaul »

This definitely looks more like the grippy highly textured "basket weave" micarta that I prefer on my fixed blades, and I'm so happy it was chosen for this model. Thanks for the comparison pics and explanation!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm
The Shaman Brown Micarta Cruwear Sprint is likely a quick sellout when it reaches vendors, if the FOMO frenzy is any indication. The scale and steel combination has been popular in posts since the earliest rumors. They are not yet widely in the wild, so I hope this post will address some queries about the scales. (Tons of Cruwear info is extant...)

“Brown Micarta” comes in a variety of tints, resins, materials, and weaves. Here I will contrast the Shaman Micarta scales with some I made for the Native 5 “Blurple” G10 / S110V.

The Shaman Micarta is a coarser weave, with a different layup appearance ( see later pics re: layers). The fibers do not seem as impregnated with resin. The finish is not as smooth as with the Native scales. Overall, the Shaman scales have greater friction with the grip; along with the thicker contoured ergonomic profile, this will be well-appreciated with the tough tasks for which the Shaman is designed.

I wanted the Native 5 scales to be thin and pocket slick. The tighter weave is also more forgiving with my handmade approach especially re: the stepped drill for the pivot holes, the stepped and chamfered torx holes, and the clip screw holes which lie closest to the lanyard tube.

You can see this manifest with some of the fiber pullout on the Shaman Micarta, where the fiber frays are flexible, not rigid.

The dusky non-tinted appearance of the Shaman Micarta suggests it will also accept more dye /richer color than the fine-textured Native 5 Micarta.

Note that the hole forward of the backlock cutout is for Native 5s such as the Blurple, the Black G10, the 154/S90V, the 2013 Forum knife (an a few others, but NOT interchangeable with the Forest Green G10 S90V, nor the Cruwear Native with smooth G10 (nor others) which have a PIN. I took these off the Blurple Native after six months, and would have slapped them on the Cruwear when it came along a few years later, but no go.

Closer view of the weave and texture comparison:

This is the tighter weave of the Native 5 Micarta (which I know by source, from Norplex)

And this is a closer match to what I think Spyderco is using, which must also be Norplex sourced due the “Micarta” trademark. Spyderco may have obtained their own batch/specs/tint, which I consider is their business. This looks the same as that on the Temperance 2, an probably I should pull one out for comparison pics.

Here you can see the level of finish on the flat, contours, and transverse surfaces. This should also darken with the application of various oils or surface treatments if one so chooses.

By comparison , the Native 5 Micarta scales were hand sanded wet to 1200, then buffed with 4x bronze wool with a blended mix of orange oil, paste wax, and beeswax (then carried over a six month period).

The inner edge of the scales reflect the waviness of the layers as seen in transverse section, with a sawtooth-like appearance. I will gently sand these inner edges, and remove the fraye fibers seen in some areas.
BTW back before the great Rutland fire, when you could get laminates made to spec with a variety of hardwoods, I obtained some quarter-sawn oak dymondwood like laminates, and the flecks/digital rays seen in transverse section remind me of this micarta appearance in transverse. (which will mean nothing to most of you, lol.)

For a less cringe-provoking clothing reference than in that other thread (poor impressionable nine-year-old with a seminal life-long memory affecting his Spyderco preferences! consider the sales potential if he had busted in on Raquel Welch in the changing room...), think of the zig-zag pattern as akin too Charlie Brown's argyle sweater.

Enjoy this Sprint Shaman, and let's hope for more to come as bombshelled by Sal.
Sal, you've crafted another classic that will stand the test of time and hard work.
Great post. I enjoyed it immensely.
Justin
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Simply looks like the difference between linen and canvas micarta (the "L" and the "C" in the sample photos). The Shaman is canvas micarta, and your Native is linen.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:34 am
Simply looks like the difference between linen and canvas micarta (the "L" and the "C" in the sample photos). The Shaman is canvas micarta, and your Native is linen.

Exactly. Any other differences can be chalked up to whether it's polished or not. The Stretch pictured below customized for me with brown canvas micarta some years back...

...wound up replacing the micarta with lignum vitae, but that's another story.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:12 am
SpyderPhreak wrote:

Exactly. Any other differences can be chalked up to whether it's polished or not. The Stretch pictured below customized for me with brown canvas micarta some years back...

...wound up replacing the micarta with lignum vitae, but that's another story.
Wow, I really love those scales! They remind me of corduroy pants from the 70s...
- Julia

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it's one of the most beautiful knives Spyderco has ever made.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the post, it's making me want one even more!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 pm
This definitely looks more like the grippy highly textured "basket weave" micarta that I prefer on my fixed blades, and I'm so happy it was chosen for this model. Thanks for the comparison pics and explanation!

I agree! This is my favorite micarta texture and the one I get on all my fixed blades. I was worried they were going to use a polished finish. The rough, matte, grippy texture on this is perfect and feels great in the hand.

I'm glad they went with the regular satin finish instead of the stonewash as well. It really looks nice with this micarta.

I hope they have plans to extend this combo into other models like the Manix, Native, and Chief. Some of the Seki knives like the Delica and Dragonfly would be awesome in this combo as well now that Cruwear has been used over there.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 pm

I agree! This is my favorite micarta texture and the one I get on all my fixed blades. I was worried they were going to use a polished finish. The rough, matte, grippy texture on this is perfect and feels great in the hand.

I'm glad they went with the regular satin finish instead of the stonewash as well. It really looks nice with this micarta.

I hope they have plans to extend this combo into other models like the Manix, Native, and Chief. Some of the Seki knives like the Delica and Dragonfly would be awesome in this combo as well now that Cruwear has been used over there.
Oh man, what I wouldn't give for textured micarta on a delica and a dragonfly! That'd get me to buy the whole seki lineup, come to think of it. :p
- Julia

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thank you for the pictorial!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

TLDR: "Cool scales." "Yup. Oiled 'em."
The Deacon wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:12 am
SpyderPhreak wrote:

Of course.

But many readers, even those who have owned various types of "micarta" may not have experience with fabicating, finishing, modifying or dyeing any of it, so I wanted to point out salient features of Spyderco's Shaman scales that may have bearing on their own activity.

Spyderco is probably using Norplex's Ultrex canvas Micarta TM which is why I pictured it. Some of my comments below will apply to other micarta, both TMed and off-brand, whether phenolic resin like these, or epoxy-based and so on. Some simple tips.

I.e.,
1. The coarser fibers will absorb oil more easily, both by intent such as mineral oil, and through use with surface contamination. This also makes it less suitable than that for the usual application of a wax finish.

2. The fibers will absorb Rit dye more readily.
and BTW to reduce blotchiness through variable dye absorption, clean the scales well prior to dyeing. If you use a detergent or soap such as Dawn, follow with an amphipathic agent such as 90% isopropyl alcohol. Straight acetone will also work. Don't be surprised at differences in dyeing vs. any G10 experience you may have.

3. The frayed/fuzzy fiber appearance seen at magnification is what gives the lighter surface appearance seen on portions of the Shaman scales, and prominently so in the divots of the Stretch scales the Deacon had someone make for him. These tend not to polish out as finely as with *fine-grained* versions of linen micarta, but there is an easy remedy if you so desire. (one of several)

An old and easy luthiery tip of using cyanoacrylate thinly applied/reapplied to taste. This will absorb into the exposed fibers/frays, which can then be polished and smoothed to preference with similar color tone as the rest of the scale. This will also help seal it and prevent getting stained and dirty. (not so old? wider use in the past twenty years...) Easy to selectively apply, e.g. the scale divots above.

This can easily and successfully be applied to the entire scales if one desires a finish not as rough an grippy as the original. Horses for courses and so on.

Another tip for those doing any scale fabrication with micarta "even simple fixed blade scales/pins;" the holes contract and come out slightly undersized vs. the drill bit. The thinner the scale and the closer the holes e.g. lanyard tube hole near clip screw holes, the easier to crack the scale if forcing a tube/pin/screw into the undersized hole. While many may discover that by experience, here is the comment from Norplex's data sheet:

"Drill size -Due to the nature of thermoset composites, the diameters of holes drilled in laminates are usually 0.002” under the drill size. Therefore, the drill selected should be at least 0.002” larger than the specified diameter of the hole. If the drill being used is dull, the hold size may be an additional 0.002” undersize, or a total of 0.004” less than the diameter of the drill."

BTW Deacon, lignum vitae is fun (!!??!!) to work with.

If ironwood is, say, ironwood, lignum vitae is adamantium wood.

Somewhere I have an old woodworking magazine stashed with an article which includes historical references of its use as propeller shaft bearings on Large ships. Tough stuff indeed.

*added, post-search* Crikey, resurgence of use, in part due to EPA.
https://lignumvitaesolutions.com/produc ... -bearings/
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Thank you for all the information, stuff like this is why I love roaming around this forum.

On topic: what would you recommend when it comes to cleaning and maintenance?

I have no experience with micarta but my G10 has seen a lot of action at my workplace. I usually go for some 99,9% isopropanol to clean up the blade when it gets gunk on it, but when it touches the G10 it makes it look kind of pale and lifeless, which isn't a problem because when I'm doing maintenance, spraying a decent amount of Ballistol on the scales makes them look beautiful and good as new.

Recently I had a tiny work accident where I got some type of glue on my clothes, and some of that got into the knife. After much scrubbing with some nail polish remover (which contains acetone), I've managed to remove most of the devilish stuff without leaving any marks. After this experience, I'm pretty sure that G10 basically tank proof.

Taking all that into consideration, how would micarta behave in a similar situation?
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Micarta is nearly as bombproof as well. However, due to the exposed ends of the (usually) cotton fibers, something like a glue spill will "set" into the fibers, and won't be as easy to remove. However, if you have "unbuffed" micarta, a quick and light sanding with some 120 grit paper will bring them right back to looking new. If you want/had the polished look prior, you would then need to buff again accordingly.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:08 pm
Thank you for all the information, stuff like this is why I love roaming around this forum.

On topic: what would you recommend when it comes to cleaning and maintenance?

I have no experience with micarta but my G10 has seen a lot of action at my workplace. I usually go for some 99,9% isopropanol to clean up the blade when it gets gunk on it, but when it touches the G10 it makes it look kind of pale and lifeless, which isn't a problem because when I'm doing maintenance, spraying a decent amount of Ballistol on the scales makes them look beautiful and good as new.

Recently I had a tiny work accident where I got some type of glue on my clothes, and some of that got into the knife. After much scrubbing with some nail polish remover (which contains acetone), I've managed to remove most of the devilish stuff without leaving any marks. After this experience, I'm pretty sure that G10 basically tank proof.

Taking all that into consideration, how would micarta behave in a similar situation?
One thing about micarta - textured, at least - is that it will darken and change color a bit as it absorbs the oils from your skin/lube/protective oils. Same when other substances get on it. I personally like that, but maybe not everyone will. I've actually never tried to clean the oil stains off as most on my micarta is on outdoor fixed blades and I don't care if the scales are dirty. I'll just rinse off any major mud and go with it.
- Julia

SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm
One thing about micarta - textured, at least - is that it will darken and change color a bit as it absorbs the oils from your skin/lube/protective oils. Same when other substances get on it. I personally like that, but maybe not everyone will. I've actually never tried to clean the oil stains off as most on my micarta is on outdoor fixed blades and I don't care if the scales are dirty. I'll just rinse off any major mud and go with it.
A scrub under hot water with some Dawn dish soap will generally remove nearly all of that "patina" on micarta scales, and will have them looking like new. If you wanted to, that is (pretty well-known tip over in the Busse world).

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Those are both canvas Micarta, your native 5 scales are also just canvas micarta, the natural canvas darkens with age and hand oils.

It's the same weave.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:33 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm
A scrub under hot water with some Dawn dish soap will generally remove nearly all of that "patina" on micarta scales, and will have them looking like new. If you wanted to, that is (pretty well-known tip over in the Busse world).
Thanks. I tend to think of that "patina" as giving the micarta extra character, but that's a good trick to know nonetheless.
- Julia

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The dry unbuffed micarta was a little slippery for my liking, so I put some drumstick wax on and it is now super grippy without being sticky or tacky. Put some on the buffed micarta scales of my 3V fixed blade as well. I really like the extra grip!

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Good looking stuff. Nice photos by the way. I love the Micarta on the Temperance 2 and am delighted that the same stuff was used on the Shaman.

Good call Spyderco !!