Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 pm

It's been quite a while since I've put up a thread on Spyderco's Hawkbill models. There are a lot of new names that have come to the Forum and it's high time we had another discussion about Spyderco's top of the line Hawkbill blades. I've used virtually every model they have made in their history and I find myself using them more and more. I now mainly only use Serrated/Spyderedge models because I just don't find a lot of viable uses for plain edged Hawkbills.

I just recently have encountered two people that tell me they use a Spyderco Hawkbill for their main EDC. Now I don't use any of my Spyderco Hawkbill models for an EDC but I do use them a lot as a specialty blade or a companion blade to go with whatever plain edged EDC that I might be carrying on that given day. As time goes by I'm finding more and more viable uses for them>> but again it's mostly the serrated units that I find so handy and usable. Now if there are any of you out there that prefer to use plain edged Hawkbills>> I don't find a lot of good uses for PE Hawkbill folders but if any of you like them better then I'm all ears and would love you to share with us what jobs you can do with PE Hawkbills.

I've found any job that requires pull cutting you can't beat a Hawkbill blade>> and Spyderco's Hawkbill blades are the best IMO. In the past two years I've discovered a lot of lawn & Garden uses as well as horticultural uses as well for Hawkbill blades. Which models do you all have and what do you find them good for? Also list all the uses you've found them to be good for.
We can also chat about the Reverse S blade models too>> because a lot of you use them for the same reasons as a Hawkbill. Also do you find the smaller ones like the Dragon Hawk or the larger models like the Spyderhawk the best>> you can also list past, discontinued Hawkbill models as well. Also how many of you would welcome a fixed blade Hawkbill?

DukeBrnz
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby DukeBrnz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:40 pm

So I’ve got a SE Tasman I use when I’m swimming. The one that gets carried most is a PE lil matriarch, when I run at night. That VG10 gets sticky sharp in a hurry, but when I used it to cut a square of carpet I was surprised by how sharp it remained. I wonder if the edge shape had something to do with it.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 pm

DukeBrnz wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:40 pm
So I’ve got a SE Tasman I use when I’m swimming. The one that gets carried most is a PE lil matriarch, when I run at night. That VG10 gets sticky sharp in a hurry, but when I used it to cut a square of carpet I was surprised by how sharp it remained. I wonder if the edge shape had something to do with it.
That's an interesting question. I think the answer is "yes">> any blade with an aggressive curve to it has the advantage in the fact that the cutting edge is always at an advantageous cutting angle. But what you're saying about VG-10 is why I'm still keeping all my VG-10 Spyders. And VG-10 is one of the few blade steels I've found to be just as good in SE as it is in PE.
And with the cutting job that you have described I do think that the Reverse S blade on the Lil Matriarch truly has an advantage for that type of cutting job.

User avatar
zuludelta
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby zuludelta » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 pm
I've found any job that requires pull cutting you can't beat a Hawkbill blade>>
This has been my experience as well. I use pull cuts to cut through pallet straps, bunched up netting, and all manner of cordage at work & it feels like I get appreciably more leverage on the pull cut with a hawkbill blade.
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 pm
Which models do you all have and what do you find them good for?
I have a Karahawk in my work knife rotation (I work in a warehouse & a folding knife is my most-used hand tool). The retention ring is especially useful when I need to use the fingers in my knife-hand while still holding on to the knife. When I do bring it to work, though, I pair it with a small back-up knife with a more conventional blade shape (usually a Dragonfly 2 or a Li'l Native) to cover all my work-cutting needs.

I also have a Dragonfly 2 Salt Hawkbill (in SE) which I primarily carry as my running/workout knife: being rustproof, I don't have to worry about sweat-induced staining/corrosion when I carry it in-waistband & it's so small & light it doesn't get in the way of any vigorous physical activities.
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 pm
Also how many of you would welcome a fixed blade Hawkbill?
I would love a fixed-blade version of the Karahawk.

User avatar
legOFwhat?
Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 am
Location: Kentucky; Earth

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby legOFwhat? » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 am

I have 2 the Sprint Spyderhawk and DF2 SE hawkbill and they both stay in the garage and are my most abused knives. My spyderhawk is my yard enforcer and he's a bully! Most uses are just simple pull cuts to do minor delimbing, but what I've recently found very helpful is when I use the lanyard, with my wrist in the loop and hand loosely gripping the handle, and with a "flicking" motion to trim and shape hedges. I hope that makes sense... It's weird but makes me feel like Edward scissorhands :D debris just flies way.
The SE DF2 hawkbill has become my mechanics tool beater. Cutting away plastic, opening/ breaking down boxes, cutting out the little foil seals on motor oil or antifreeze without worry of staining the blade. I"m going to have to show a picture of this knife, where I've sharpened it so much the serrations are barely there anymore....Evil D would be proud!
-Larry

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 am

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 am
I have 2 the Sprint Spyderhawk and DF2 SE hawkbill and they both stay in the garage and are my most abused knives. My spyderhawk is my yard enforcer and he's a bully! Most uses are just simple pull cuts to do minor delimbing, but what I've recently found very helpful is when I use the lanyard, with my wrist in the loop and hand loosely gripping the handle, and with a "flicking" motion to trim and shape hedges. I hope that makes sense... It's weird but makes me feel like Edward scissorhands :D debris just flies way.
The SE DF2 hawkbill has become my mechanics tool beater. Cutting away plastic, opening/ breaking down boxes, cutting out the little foil seals on motor oil or antifreeze without worry of staining the blade. I"m going to have to show a picture of this knife, where I've sharpened it so much the serrations are barely there anymore....Evil D would be proud!
It's not even surprising me anymore how many posts we are seeing of people testifying to the virtues of the SPYDERHAWK model for lawn & garden uses as well as many botanical and agricultural uses as well. I'm now convinced if Spyderco would hook up with one of the more popular gardening vendors like A. M. Leonard or anyone else in that field that Spyderco would have problems keeping them in stock. Yeah Hawkbills are that good for that type of work.

User avatar
JuPaul
Member
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JuPaul » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

I don't have any, but since I discovered the spyderhawk (after it was gone, sadly), I've wanted one for gardening/yard work. If they're ever released again, I'll absolutely buy two.
Be excellent to each other. - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am
I don't have any, but since I discovered the spyderhawk (after it was gone, sadly), I've wanted one for gardening/yard work. If they're ever released again, I'll absolutely buy two.
I also believe that the SPYDERHAWK would also be a great blade for fisherman, sailors and other seafaring applications. Because that was the original target market of the Harpy that I remember.

Now that the SPYDERHAWK and SUPERHAWK have been disco'd for so long I do believe that they would sell many units just with the demand on the Forums and avid collectors alone. And if they target market the Spyderhawk in the right places I think it could be one of their best selling utility knives in their line up.

The big hurdle is that so few people are aware of what all cutting chores the Spyderhawk is good for. They look at the design and immediately think that it's for martial arts people and mall ninjas. But that couldn't be the most further from the truth. If I were to work in the wetlands again I wouldn't go without at least having 6 to 8 Hawkbill models with me. And the Spyderhawk would probably get the most pocket time.

User avatar
JuPaul
Member
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JuPaul » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am
I don't have any, but since I discovered the spyderhawk (after it was gone, sadly), I've wanted one for gardening/yard work. If they're ever released again, I'll absolutely buy two.
I also believe that the SPYDERHAWK would also be a great blade for fisherman, sailors and other seafaring applications. Because that was the original target market of the Harpy that I remember.

Now that the SPYDERHAWK and SUPERHAWK have been disco'd for so long I do believe that they would sell many units just with the demand on the Forums and avid collectors alone. And if they target market the Spyderhawk in the right places I think it could be one of their best selling utility knives in their line up.

The big hurdle is that so few people are aware of what all cutting chores the Spyderhawk is good for. They look at the design and immediately think that it's for martial arts people and mall ninjas. But that couldn't be the most further from the truth. If I were to work in the wetlands again I wouldn't go without at least having 6 to 8 Hawkbill models with me. And the Spyderhawk would probably get the most pocket time.
I think the spyderhawk and others could definitely be marketed as utility knives, especially for the outdoors. I think it'd be especially useful for cutting the ivy and other vines that are constantly trying to take over my house. But also for smaller pruning jobs.
Be excellent to each other. - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:54 am

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am
I don't have any, but since I discovered the spyderhawk (after it was gone, sadly), I've wanted one for gardening/yard work. If they're ever released again, I'll absolutely buy two.
I also believe that the SPYDERHAWK would also be a great blade for fisherman, sailors and other seafaring applications. Because that was the original target market of the Harpy that I remember.

Now that the SPYDERHAWK and SUPERHAWK have been disco'd for so long I do believe that they would sell many units just with the demand on the Forums and avid collectors alone. And if they target market the Spyderhawk in the right places I think it could be one of their best selling utility knives in their line up.

The big hurdle is that so few people are aware of what all cutting chores the Spyderhawk is good for. They look at the design and immediately think that it's for martial arts people and mall ninjas. But that couldn't be the most further from the truth. If I were to work in the wetlands again I wouldn't go without at least having 6 to 8 Hawkbill models with me. And the Spyderhawk would probably get the most pocket time.
I think the spyderhawk and others could definitely be marketed as utility knives, especially for the outdoors. I think it'd be especially useful for cutting the ivy and other vines that are constantly trying to take over my house. But also for smaller pruning jobs.
I can't tell you how many times I've used one of my Spyderhawk models for lawn, garden, botanical and landscaping work. I won't do work like that without my Spyderhawk with me.
I have a condensed testimony how I became a Spyderhawk fanatic. Back around 2005 I think it was >> I was working in some North Missouri wetlands and I had already learned the virtues and tool value of Spyderco's serrated blades. My main tool at the time was a Spyderedged Endura which got used a lot I might add. Well there was one day I had some vines, reeds, seedlings, cattails and tall weeds to remove from one of the spillways and I thought I had grabbed my SE Endura. But when I left the lodge and got down to the wetland area I immediately realized that I had grabbed a VG-10 ( first edition) SE Spyderhawk by mistake. Well let me tell you it was one of the best mistakes I ever made. I didn't want to go back to the lodge so I just used the SE Spyderhawk and much to my pleasant surprise I quickly discovered that it worked about 3 times better than the SE Endura did. From that point on I used it in doing treework, landscaping, lawn work, and just a myriad of different jobs that I found that big Hawkbill blade to be good for. And it's only gotten better over the years.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 3999
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby Bloke » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Hey Joe, you’ll be happy to know I’ve been carrying my Ladybug SE HB on it’s Pat Malone for around six weeks now and I reckon it’s way handier than my Military. :D

Image

Arguably the most capable and underrated little knife on Earth. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm
Hey Joe, you’ll be happy to know I’ve been carrying my Ladybug SE HB on it’s Pat Malone for around six weeks now and I reckon it’s way handier than my Military. :D

Arguably the most capable and underrated little knife on Earth. :)
Well Brother BLOKE I can't tell you how happy I am to know that you've joined our HAWKBILL FRATERNITY :cool: . It's a select group of Spyder-Heads who have discovered first hand the tool value that Hawkbill blades posess. Hawkbill blades have been mostly ignored overall for the past few years and that just needs to change. We most definitely needed representation from your section of the globe.

With all the demanding cutting jobs you would encounter in the "Outback" I'm so glad to hear that you have found out just how handy and necessary a Hawkbill blade would prove to be. I would also think that fixed blades would be a necessary item to have in the Outback as well. I just can't still imagine how life would be in that country full of Salt Water Crocs, Taipans and Funnel Web Spiders :eek: I think I would do a lot of sleeping with my eyes open :eek:

Brother you and I ought to design a Spyderhawk specifically for use in the Outback. An "Outback Edition of The SPYDERHAWK" :cool: That just sounds so cool and it's something we should do>>So put your thinking cap on and I'll do the same my friend ;)

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 3999
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby Bloke » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm
Well Brother BLOKE I can't tell you how happy I am to know that you've joined our HAWKBILL FRATERNITY :cool: .
Ah, hahaha! I took the plunge and sharpened it Joe, and that was the turning point. :cool:

We'll definitely have to get our heads together and come up with an "Outback" model. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm
Well Brother BLOKE I can't tell you how happy I am to know that you've joined our HAWKBILL FRATERNITY :cool: .
Ah, hahaha! I took the plunge and sharpened it Joe, and that was the turning point. :cool:

We'll definitely have to get our heads together and come up with an "Outback" model. :)
How are you sharpening your TASMAN Bloke??? Are you using your 204 Sharpmaker??? IF so then what stones?? They aren't that hard to sharpen are they? OK DUDE I'm going to officially name you as Hawkbill Representative of the country of AUSTRALIA :cool: Maybe those Jet Skis aren't out of the question after all :D

But seriously PM me because I want to know how you are keeping your TASMAN Teeth in good shape.

User avatar
legOFwhat?
Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 am
Location: Kentucky; Earth

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby legOFwhat? » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am

I would love to be able to get an Spyderhawk XL! H1, LC200N or VG10 I'd be happy with any of these 3.
Image

Here is a pic of the DF2 HB serrations...
Image
-Larry

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20494
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby Evil D » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:22 am

I have my Spyderhawk and Dragonhawk and I feel pretty well content with those two. I use the Spyderhawk for yard/vine warfare and the Dragonhawk stays in my EDC bag and has saved me a few times when I forgot my main EDC knife. I had a Tasman and I was set on getting another one until I got the Spyderhawk which I highly prefer.

JD I'm gonna throw out an idea that will probably give you heart palpitations so you may wanna sit down for this one....



What about...




A Catcherman hawkbill!?!?!?!?

I don't think the handle would accommodate the blade shape but can you imagine that thin/long blade in hawkbill form? As long as they manage to keep the tip from getting too fragile it would be a monster.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17040
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Spyderco's Hawkbills: General Uses, Model Preferred?

Postby JD Spydo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:26 am

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:22 am
I have my Spyderhawk and Dragonhawk and I feel pretty well content with those two. I use the Spyderhawk for yard/vine warfare and the Dragonhawk stays in my EDC bag and has saved me a few times when I forgot my main EDC knife. I had a Tasman and I was set on getting another one until I got the Spyderhawk which I highly prefer.

JD I'm gonna throw out an idea that will probably give you heart palpitations so you may wanna sit down for this one....



What about...




A Catcherman hawkbill!?!?!?!?

I don't think the handle would accommodate the blade shape but can you imagine that thin/long blade in hawkbill form? As long as they manage to keep the tip from getting too fragile it would be a monster.
No that doesn't bother me at all but I am trying to figure how that would work in the "real world" Right now my two main missions are for a high end Hawkbill folder with a supersteel and either a G-10 or Titanium handle. Also I have a goal of a Micarta handled ( or G-10) fixed blade Hawkbill. Something that would be similar in size to the Streetbeat and with a similar Micarta handle that model had.

Well I've got admit that it sure is an interesting consideration. To me it would be almost like making the Whale Rescue blade into some type of "Super-Hawkbill. Not sure if that would be practical or possible either.

But I do like the fact that you guys are throwing some serious ideas around for possibilities in the Hawkbill Arena :cool:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, Bing [Bot], Catamount123, curlyhairedboy, Cycletroll, GiftedMisfit, Google [Bot], joeldworkin307, Pelagic and 19 guests