Feasability of partially DLC'd blades (just ricasso and pivot areas)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blendergasket

Feasability of partially DLC'd blades (just ricasso and pivot areas)

Post by blendergasket »

I love the idea of DLC to keep tool steels from rusting quite as readily, but I don't really like th DLC on the ground part of the blade. Would it be feasible to make the area behind the flat grind (ricasso and pivot/internal sections) DLC coated but the flat grind clean metal? This would make a pinned knife like the Manix 2 in a tool steel more attractive to me. It would also mean less maintenance so less need to open the knife up and deal with putting it back together.
knivesandbooks

Re: Feasability of partially DLC'd blades (just ricasso and pivot areas)

Post by knivesandbooks »

Pretty sure WE does this. Two tone finishes. Not sure if they use DLC though. Look through some WE knives and you'll see what I mean. I kind of doubt they use dlc on their two tone blades though. My Micotech Socom Elite with a two tine blade is def not dlc. I'm wondering if it is a difficult to grind an already dlc'd blade so manufacturers go with something else.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s possible, just a matter of whether it’s worth it or not I’m guessing.

Spyderco has done partial DLC in the past with the Mamba.

-Nick :bug-red
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

That's cool! I didn't realize the Mambo was actually black on the blade. I hope they consider this for functional reasons if it doesn't add too much cost.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Let me start by saying, I don't own any dlc blades, and have no interest in them.

Personally, I've avoided dlc, especially on non-stainless steels, because quite a few people have found corrosion UNDER the coating. Non-stainless steels, in my opinion, are actually safer without the coating. Oil can be applied, the blade can be thoroughly dried, and corrosion will be visually apparent. Of course this is just my opinion, based on anecdotes and personal preference. Hopefully those who want partial or full dlc coating will get their wish.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 am
Let me start by saying, I don't own any dlc blades, and have no interest in them.

Personally, I've avoided dlc, especially on non-stainless steels, because quite a few people have found corrosion UNDER the coating. Non-stainless steels, in my opinion, are actually safer without the coating. Oil can be applied, the blade can be thoroughly dried, and corrosion will be visually apparent. Of course this is just my opinion, based on anecdotes and personal preference. Hopefully those who want partial or full dlc coating will get their wish.
Counterpoint: I rust every non-salt knife I carry clipped to my pockets or waistband, BESIDES my Manix XL in DLC.

Not all coated knives are made equally. The baked on finish ESEE uses for example is a world different. My experience with Spydercos DLC has been nothing short of revolutionary.

I wish someone at Spyderco shared my enthusiasm for DLC blades AND liners, it's a game changer for people that deal with heavily corrosive environments.
:unicorn
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 pm
Albatross wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 am

Counterpoint: I rust every non-salt knife I carry clipped to my pockets or waistband, BESIDES my Manix XL in DLC.

Not all coated knives are made equally. The baked on finish ESEE uses for example is a world different. My experience with Spydercos DLC has been nothing short of revolutionary.

I wish someone at Spyderco shared my enthusiasm for DLC blades AND liners, it's a game changer for people that deal with heavily corrosive environments.
Good to hear dlc works well for you. Maybe the reports of rust beneath the coating were a result of some corrosive substance, making it's way on to the blades, prior to the dlc application process. Either way, it's not for me.

I can see the practical application for partially coated blades, and as I said before, I hope those who want it, get it.

There have been quite a few requests on this forum, which were later fulfilled. Maybe this will be one of them as well.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 am
Pretty sure WE does this. Two tone finishes. Not sure if they use DLC though. Look through some WE knives and you'll see what I mean. I kind of doubt they use dlc on their two tone blades though. My Micotech Socom Elite with a two tine blade is def not dlc. I'm wondering if it is a difficult to grind an already dlc'd blade so manufacturers go with something else.
I have a WE Knives Wisp, two tone and they call it DLC.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Vivi wrote:
YES! Thats honestly my biggest turn off to all the DLC compression lock knives. The whole knife is wonderfully blacked out, but then you have this glaring silver tab shining out in the middle of nowhere. I don't understand why they don't black the liners out like on the Manix 2's. If I ever got one I'd have to go out and get the liners cerakoted or something. And after seeing the inside of your Police 4, its obvious that corrosion inhibition would be much needed in many cases as well.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Ez556 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:33 am
Vivi wrote:
YES! Thats honestly my biggest turn off to all the DLC compression lock knives. The whole knife is wonderfully blacked out, but then you have this glaring silver tab shining out in the middle of nowhere. I don't understand why they don't black the liners out like on the Manix 2's. If I ever got one I'd have to go out and get the liners cerakoted or something. And after seeing the inside of your Police 4, its obvious that corrosion inhibition would be much needed in many cases as well.

On knives with liners I also think DLC or something similar would be helpful. Basically DLC'ing anything that is inside the knife would make it much easier for a non-tinkerer to keep his/her spyderco in good shape for longer.