Caribbean One Year Teardown.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Caribbean One Year Teardown.

Post by Sumdumguy »

Well I've been carying the Caribbean for a little over a year straight. In that time it has traveled the country several times over, spent countless hours in the ocean, been used with reckless abandon and subjected to almost no maintenance. I rinse it off with fresh water every once in a while and keep the blade relatively clean(more for food, than care).

Here is the result:

There were a few slight spots of rust on the liners, which I have to attribute to metal contamination due to a rougher(relatively) finish compared to the blade. There was possibly some galvanic corrosion where the standoffs were.

I wiped everything down with mineral oil, which removed 90% of the "corrosion". The rest was removed with my fingernail, it now looks shiny and new.

The blade itself has zero discoloration of any kind.

After cleaning it and reassembling it, the action has improved ten-fold. It is now as good as any Golden made Comp lock, slick as ice.

All that has been done to it is a cleaning, drying and application of a miniscule amount of mineral oil to either side of the blade tang where the washers ride(used a toothpick).

I feel safe calling it rustproof.

Nothing else has or will be done to this knife. It will go back into my pocket until this time next year, at which point we will open it back up.

Thanks for reading!

Also, thank you Sal for this fantastic tool!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Re: Caribbean One Year Teardown.

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is definitely making me hunger for another one...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sok

Post by sok »

That's actually pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The best kind of review! Thanks indeed for taking the time to share. It's good to know that the most minimal amount of care will keep this sort of knife running like new!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not quite what I'd consider 100% rust proof, but it looks a world better than my Police 4 did after its one year break down! Thanks for sharing.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84857
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 am
Not quite what I'd consider 100% rust proof, but it looks a world better than my Police 4 did after its one year break down! Thanks for sharing.

I believe most, if not all of the corrosion is from surface contamination during manufacturing.

The blade has zero corrosion at all. But it has a finer finish, where the liners are fairly rough.

I'm going to open it up one more time and go over the liners and everything with some high grit sandpaper. I'll clean it back up and start the clock for a year and then we can have a better idea as to whether or not it is surface contamination.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
phaust

Post by phaust »

Great pic. I will be looking forward to the next year follow-up as well. I'm sticking with H1 when I want rustproof for now.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 am
Vivi wrote:

I believe most, if not all of the corrosion is from surface contamination during manufacturing.

The blade has zero corrosion at all. But it has a finer finish, where the liners are fairly rough.

I'm going to open it up one more time and go over the liners and everything with some high grit sandpaper. I'll clean it back up and start the clock for a year and then we can have a better idea as to whether or not it is surface contamination.
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'll be interested to see your follow up! No rust on my Waterway so far, LC200N is good stuff IMO.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Glad you all liked it! I sure have enjoyed getting it to this point.

I'm going to get some of those fancy CBN glass stones and start working on my freehand sharpening skills. I want to see how different edges act on it.

Random though, the Caribbean's handle design is still my favorite. The only handle that is better, is the Micarta Street Beat. Both are perfection in their class.

-Thomas Jefferson
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 am
Glad you all liked it! I sure have enjoyed getting it to this point.

I'm going to get some of those fancy CBN glass stones and start working on my freehand sharpening skills. I want to see how different edges act on it.

Random though, the Caribbean's handle design is still my favorite. The only handle that is better, is the Micarta Street Beat. Both are perfection in their class.
Thanks for posting this. Your handle remark is some impressive praise.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Fasteners are hard to keep stain free unless absolutely everything is made out of the same steel. Dissimilar metals often eat each other alive. Knife looks great for a year of use. I often use knives for a week or 2 that look worse than that!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am
Fasteners are hard to keep stain free unless absolutely everything is made out of the same steel. Dissimilar metals often eat each other alive. Knife looks great for a year of use. I often use knives for a week or 2 that look worse than that!
That's what I was expecting, but the screws had zero discoloration. Only where the standoffs touched the liners was there a little bit of discoloration and even that wiped off with no effort.

Bill1170 wrote: Thanks for posting this. Your handle remark is some impressive praise.
It's deserving of far more. This knife has been a 100% home run since I purchased it.

I'm championing for this design to become it's own model, with a bunch of steel variants. As a Salt it is perfect, but the design stands on it's own without that designation. I need it in M4, Vanax SC, K390, Cruwear, Supergold, Superblue, Damasteel, Maxam... I'll stop now.

:spyder:

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

The handle on this model is fantastic. I'd likely have it in my pocket as I type if it were a backlock!
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

Awesome 1 year update. The Caribbean is one of my favorite knives. I carry my frequently to the beach. Glad to see the blade and liners are holding up!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:23 pm
The handle on this model is fantastic. I'd likely have it in my pocket as I type if it were a backlock!

I'd be interested in one if it got the FRN Salt handle treatment. As long as the change to back lock doesn't create a giant kick/ricasso that eats up edge length I'm all in. I'm not sure they can do that on this model but the Centofante 3's edge goes all the way to the handle (minus the sharpening choil) so it's definitely possible to make a back lock with a blade like the Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Vivi wrote:

I'd be interested in one if it got the FRN Salt handle treatment. As long as the change to back lock doesn't create a giant kick/ricasso that eats up edge length I'm all in. I'm not sure they can do that on this model but the Centofante 3's edge goes all the way to the handle (minus the sharpening choil) so it's definitely possible to make a back lock with a blade like the Caribbean.
I'd like that too, that's one of the most attractive qualities of this knife outside of the bladesteel and ergos. I wonder if a salt could use a chap style internal stop pin rather than a kick?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Vivi wrote:

I'd like that too, that's one of the most attractive qualities of this knife outside of the bladesteel and ergos. I wonder if a salt could use a chap style internal stop pin rather than a kick?

I started to suggest that in the other post but if they can do it with the Centofante it can be done on others. The Centofante does work with a kick, it just has a handle that comes up further towards the edge than other back locks so it hides the kick.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

While I love the backlock, the Compression lock is part of this knife's perfection. I like the flow through design on my heavy users for ease of cleaning.

Now the Shaman, that should be a backlock!

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Great write up Sumdumguy. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I’ve been enjoying my PE Leaf Caribbean a lot, it’s been my main user along with the AEB-L Urban as a smaller knife, for a while now.

Very impressed with it. I’d love a Vanax SC version.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 am
Vivi wrote:

i wonder if it would've made a difference if you had taken the knife apart when you first got it and cleaned it to remove any stray metal that might have been left by machining. i guess you'll know in a year or so.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C