C-46 Lum Tanto Folder: For an EDC anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

C-46 Lum Tanto Folder: For an EDC anyone?

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh I realize that a lot of these Ultra-Classic Spyders from another past popular era are mostly put in collector cases and safes. For the most part not very many of the older classics ever become a primary EDC for most people. Well I just had to send my hallowed M390 Military to the Spyder Emergency Room at Golden, CO so for the time being I've been flipping through a few older models in my footlocker. I've actually wanted to challenge myself to see if any of my older Spyders from another era would be good for EDC purposes. I rarely carry or use my favorite of all the C-46 Lum Tanto models >> but I got a wild idea that I wanted to see whether or not it would be adequate as an EDC. So I took it out of the footlocker, put a fresh edge on it and started using it for daily chores.

Well so far I'm fairly pleased. The Tanto end of the blade with the Hamaguri convex edge is a bit of a challenge to put a razor edge on but after working it over with 3 different sharpening tools I've got that difficult part of the blade razor sharp. I've been using this ATS-55, G-10 handled, Combo edge, black coated blade version of the C-46 Tanto this past 5 days and I'm getting a good attitude about using it. So how many of you guys have ever used or EDCed your C-46 Lum Tanto folder? Which variant do you have? What cutting chores do you use it with? Or have any of you ever even used a c-46 Lum Tanto at all?

Or is your C-46 a Safe Queen, Sacred Cow or just too pretty to use? I want to discuss this old school Spyderco Ultra-Classic for EDC consideration? I'm actually finding the C-46 combo edged version to be quite handy for certain cutting chores. What say you all?
Sumdumguy

Re: C-46 Lum Tanto Folder: For an EDC anyone?

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love that knife! A few things casued me to sell mine.

Firstly, I don't like liner lock knives.

Secondly, it was so pretty I didn't use it much.

Thirdly, the blade shape is more of a romantic desire. In use, eh.

Lastly, I don't like liner locks.

If you need a folding knife that could slice/stab through bones and not break(Samurai?), then this is the knife for you.

Also, if it had a compression or backlock, I could justify keeping one ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm hopeful that the tanto PM2 scratches the itch.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Oh I enjoy carrying mine very much. It's pointy and great at opening boxes. I don't carry it often, however, purely as a result of its size. I don't carry my big knives much anymore since 5 days a week I'm mostly sitting on my butt and just don't need that much cutting firepower. If there was a baby Tanto in my 3" Goldilocks zone, I'd probably carry that all the time.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:38 am
I'm hopeful that the tanto PM2 scratches the itch.
Yeeeeeeeees! If that ever did come to fruition I'd be all over it. Talk about a great utility blade shape.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 am
I love that knife! A few things casued me to sell mine.

Firstly, I don't like liner lock knives.

Secondly, it was so pretty I didn't use it much.

Thirdly, the blade shape is more of a romantic desire. In use, eh.

Lastly, I don't like liner locks.

If you need a folding knife that could slice/stab through bones and not break(Samurai?), then this is the knife for you.

Also, if it had a compression or backlock, I could justify keeping one ;)
Historically I could agree with you concerning "liner locks" >> However I've been EDCing a C-36 Military model for over 3 years now and I've not experienced one failure at all. And the liner lock on this C-46 Lum Tanto folder seems even tighter than the one on my M390 Military. And believe me the liner lock is not one of my favs at all. But Spyderco's liner locks are very tight and well machined and I can live with them.

Also I've done some work on the tip part of the tanto blade to make the point more utility than it was. My experience so far has been a positive one. Am I going to make it my permanent EDC ??>> absolutely not at this time. But I'm sure going to keep it as a viable back up. Botton Line: The C-46 Lum Tanto has far more potential than I originally thought. Also I'm finding it's a great model for a "Combo Edge">> I'm actually liking the CE part of this knife a lot.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

As far as liner locks go, the Lum Tanto and Chinese are my favorite. Still don't like them, but I can tolerate them.

100% agree about the CE Tanto being the best version. If a new one came out, that's what I would prefer. It seemed to suit the stout blade.

Can I also gush for a moment about the Chinese Folder?
I had the HAP 40 model and LOVED the design! It was slightly smaller than what I thought was ideal.
A large Lum Chinese with no changes, aside from a compression lock would be glorious! (Ditto for Tanto)

As far as the size goes, I thought it was perfect. The handle was my favorite part.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Other than the "Samurai" concept surrounding the design I wish I knew more about the intended purpose of the "tanto" design in a knife. In the past I had owned a couple of Cold Steel's tanto fixed blades and there was one in particular that I liked for food uses. But I still really don't know what the Tanto design was meant to be used for.
Oh I'm aware of them being used in certain types of swords but I'm certain that the knives had a different objective but I'm not sure what that was.

Now with this Spyderco "Bob Lum" design I'm sure it was meant for more than pretty looks. Because Spyderco historically has intended functions for all of their knives. The awesome thickness of the blade sure makes it able to endure much abuse.

If any of you know the "story" behind this nice looking design I would love to hear it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:26 pm
Other than the "Samurai" concept surrounding the design I wish I knew more about the intended purpose of the "tanto" design in a knife. In the past I had owned a couple of Cold Steel's tanto fixed blades and there was one in particular that I liked for food uses. But I still really don't know what the Tanto design was meant to be used for.
Oh I'm aware of them being used in certain types of swords but I'm certain that the knives had a different objective but I'm not sure what that was.

Now with this Spyderco "Bob Lum" design I'm sure it was meant for more than pretty looks. Because Spyderco historically has intended functions for all of their knives. The awesome thickness of the blade sure makes it able to endure much abuse.

If any of you know the "story" behind this nice looking design I would love to hear it.
Pretty sure it was designed for the penetration and cutting of humans. The blade is stout enough to come in contact with bones, etc. While also having an extremely thin and sharp edge for the initial cut.

I'll double check later when I have more time.

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Pretty sure it was designed for the penetration and cutting of humans. The blade is stout enough to come in contact with bones, etc. While also having an extremely thin and sharp edge for the initial cut.

I'll double check later when I have more time.
I tend to be in agreement with what you're saying but doesn't that apply more to the swords with that type of tip? You're going to laugh when I tell you what I discovered that the Tanto tipped, fixed blade Cold Steel knives were especially good for. I was helping a friend of mine a few years back sell some watermelons that he grew. A lot of the customers who were picky wanted a plug out of the melon to taste-test them. Didn't bother us because 9 out of 10 of them ended up buying the melon anyway. But that Cold Steel Kobun would do a watermelon plug with surgical precision :D

Not only that I found that knife was great for all kinds of other food prep too. Oh I can see how the tanto points/tips would have a "tactical" aspect to them as well. But I was also thinking that the knives with the tanto design might have had another objective as well. But penetration for sure would be wicked with that end/tip really sharp>> I'm more than certain of it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was carrying one of the HAP40 Lum Tantos as an EDC a few months back. I really liked carrying it but eventually rotated it out for a new EDC. I decided to carry it again today after seeing this thread yesterday! :D

Such an awesome knife! I’ve been tempted to dye these scales, was thinking teal

-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 am
I was carrying one of the HAP40 Lum Tantos as an EDC a few months back. I really liked carrying it but eventually rotated it out for a new EDC. I decided to carry it again today after seeing this thread yesterday! :D

Now let me be up front again>> I doubt if I would ever make my C-46 Lum Tanto folder my regular EDC. But on certain occasions I still want it in my rotation and "user arsenal" of great folders. While waiting for my M390 Military to get out of the Spyderco Emergency Room it's been even a bit more than a novelty. I can see where doing some tweaking on the tanto end ( Point) and keeping the main part of the blade razor sharp it does have a lot of usefulness.

One other feature I've noticed for the past 3 years. When I do carry the C-46 Lum Tanto I probably get far more compliments with it than about any other knife in my EDC rotation. Also again it's probably the best combo edged Spyder I've used up till now. But not every C-46 is available in CE however.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I had a PS Ti one that I sold because it never saw any pocket time. It seems like a great knife if you need to puncture something (watermelons) or someone but I never figured out exactly what to use it for. This thread makes me wish that I had it back though.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:15 am
Mushroom wrote:

Now let me be up front again>> I doubt if I would ever make my C-46 Lum Tanto folder my regular EDC. But on certain occasions I still want it in my rotation and "user arsenal" of great folders. While waiting for my M390 Military to get out of the Spyderco Emergency Room it's been even a bit more than a novelty. I can see where doing some tweaking on the tanto end ( Point) and keeping the main part of the blade razor sharp it does have a lot of usefulness.

One other feature I've noticed for the past 3 years. When I do carry the C-46 Lum Tanto I probably get far more compliments with it than about any other knife in my EDC rotation. Also again it's probably the best combo edged Spyder I've used up till now. But not every C-46 is available in CE however.
I'm sure that would aid a bit in edc.

As I thought, the appleseed(convex) grind on the tip was used to strengthen across the entire tip for piercing enemies(bones, leather, metal, etc.) without damage.

I imagine Mr. Lum was staying true to the traditional design, which had a different purpose.

I would love to hear some information from back then regarding Lum designs ;)

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:15 am
Mushroom wrote:

I'm sure that would aid a bit in edc.

As I thought, the appleseed(convex) grind on the tip was used to strengthen across the entire tip for piercing enemies(bones, leather, metal, etc.) without damage.

I imagine Mr. Lum was staying true to the traditional design, which had a different purpose.

I would love to hear some information from back then regarding Lum designs ;)
Even back in the day ( early 2000s) when the C-46 was still in the main line up I don't remember it being touted as an aggressive weapon per se.

I think back then the market appeal was based on a streamlined tanto design that many people thought looked really good and somewhat classy even in a traditional way. I don't remember any one particular Spyderco knife ever being touted solely as a self defense weapon. Oh on some models you could kind of read between the lines but most of them were recognized as functional designs.

I'm sure that tanto blades have a practical useful purpose to them but I haven't heard what it might be other than it's weapon potential.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Oh sorry,
I wasn't talking about Spyderco specifically, I was talking about the tanto blade shape itself. Because of it's original design purpose, the tanto in the traditional form can never truly be as useful for normal tasks as a modern knife designed for said tasks.

It's rightful place is in the knife drawer, ready to be carried on an occasional basis for absolutely no reason(except watermelon plugging).

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:14 pm
Oh sorry,
I wasn't talking about Spyderco specifically, I was talking about the tanto blade shape itself. Because of it's original design purpose, the tanto in the traditional form can never truly be as useful for normal tasks as a modern knife designed for said tasks.

It's rightful place is in the knife drawer, ready to be carried on an occasional basis for absolutely no reason(except watermelon plugging).
Well you bring up a good point. Because that's the perception that most people have about the tanto blade design>> but what I'm trying to explore is whether or not the Tanto blade design can also be used for other cutting jobs as well. Because I'm all but certain that the tanto point on a folder surely has a different objective than what it would be used for on a sword.
Case & Point>> take the C-111 Captain model for instance. Many here really liked that model as an interesting a really unique design but few people realized that in it's original design it was meant to be serrated in the arched part of the blade>> which would make it quite useful for all kinds of cutting jobs>> probably mostly for fishermen and other seafaring jobs. But very few people who own the Captain ever knew that.
I do find the C-46 interesting in a lot of ways. The thick, stout blade gives you a leverage that you have on very few knife designs. I guess this would be a case similar to Hawkbill blades>> you've just to learn by using apparently
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

If I could find a user for sale I would. All of mine are sac religiously works of art. I can’t bring myself to carry them.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dodge wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:29 pm
If I could find a user for sale I would. All of mine are sac religiously works of art. I can’t bring myself to carry them.
Yeah I kind of know what you mean. I was lucky enough to have snagged the "user" C-46 Lum Tanto in a trade and it was used when I got it. But the other C-46 Lum tanto models I've had I never used any of them. Still got one in the footlocker. It's among other older NIB models that I consider sacred.

The grip/purchase and balance also makes me want to EDC it. Just got news from the Spyderco Emergency Room that my M390 Military won't be released for about another 8 days or so. But I'm making it OK with the C-46, CE Lum Tanto. It's truly been a learning experience in a lot of ways. I would just love to chat with some Japanese knife maker and try to figure out what many of them use that Tanto point for. I'm sure it has a practical purpose to it>> because most knife designs do.
Monty

Post by Monty »

JD Spydo wrote:

Pardon me for using a Cold Steel video for informational purposes, but I believe this actually demonstrates one of the reasons for the tanto blade design. Relevant info starts about 20 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/ngWdNrFzm-U