LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Re: LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Post by carrot »

Might have to follow in your footsteps. Did you do that by hand or with tools?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I really hope Spyderco takes note of your modified sheepsfoot Caribbean. To my eyes it's the most beautiful and elegant wharncliff I've ever seen.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:29 pm
Might have to follow in your footsteps. Did you do that by hand or with tools?

I used a Dremel with a sanding barrel for the heavy steel removal (being careful not to overheat it) and then sandpaper for the final finish. It helps if you draw the profile you want on the blade with marker so you can visualize what you're going after.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:03 pm
I really hope Spyderco takes note of your modified sheepsfoot Caribbean. To my eyes it's the most beautiful and elegant wharncliff I've ever seen.

Thanks! I like it a lot. I'm just happy when they put out knives like this so I can tweak them how I want them.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I got curious today and decided to check in and see how it's doing, and it sure looks like some rust is forming..

That spot on the bottom third on that side was the salt water, so it's definitely not dried spaghetti sauce or blood.

Here's the other side where the middle and bottom were mostly blood so some of this may be dried blood.

I'm fighting the urge to take it down and see how easily any of that wipes off and to see if there's any pitting.
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Interesting.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ive "rusted" lc200n but it cleans up like its nothing.

I have also had rust spots transfer onto h1 from the sheath of my aqua salt, even though the h1 steel wasnt rusting at all.

I guess Im saying theres a lot of different kinds of rust.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Is it a Wharnfoot or a Sheepcliff?
skeeg11 wrote:
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Yes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:18 pm
Fireman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Yes.
True.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:14 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 pm
How about some reckless wood carving? Something hard and seasoned. I don't suppose y'all have Osage Orange wood in your area do you?

I missed this post...I believe we do but not around my house anywhere. I know I've seen those things squashed in the streets around Cincinnati, I wasn't aware the wood was super hard though. I'll have to keep an eye out for them and see if I can get a branch to dry out and cut up.
It's roughly twice as hard as oak on the Janka wood hardness scale. Chopping it feels like flint. It's crazy hard and dense.

Edit to add: It burns super hot too, but it spits a lot of sparks.

Well tis the season, these things are all over the place now. I found a few trees around town but none that I could get a branch from so I got some hedgeapples to cut up for fun. I'm gonna go Saturday and play in the woods and see if I can find a tree, and if I do I'll get a few good sizes branches to cut up and I'll save some to dry out for future testing.

They've got some sticky milk stuff inside when you cut them, this stuff would have been great for the plant goo rust testing.

But, since I already have the leaf Caribbean tied to a tree out back, I didn't want to disturb it so I guess now I've got two knives hanging in my back yard :rolleyes:

I use the sheepscliffe a lot so I'm only leaving it out there for a week or so. I need to get back to using my Rock Jumper more anyway.
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:59 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:14 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 pm
How about some reckless wood carving? Something hard and seasoned. I don't suppose y'all have Osage Orange wood in your area do you?

I missed this post...I believe we do but not around my house anywhere. I know I've seen those things squashed in the streets around Cincinnati, I wasn't aware the wood was super hard though. I'll have to keep an eye out for them and see if I can get a branch to dry out and cut up.
It's roughly twice as hard as oak on the Janka wood hardness scale. Chopping it feels like flint. It's crazy hard and dense.

Edit to add: It burns super hot too, but it spits a lot of sparks.

Well tis the season, these things are all over the place now. I found a few trees around town but none that I could get a branch from so I got some hedgeapples to cut up for fun. I'm gonna go Saturday and play in the woods and see if I can find a tree, and if I do I'll get a few good sizes branches to cut up and I'll save some to dry out for future testing.
Cool! I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens. Although, with all the stuff you've put it through since, it might not be much of a challenge anymore!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So that hedgeapple sap....was probably the worst thing I've done so far. That crap may as well be rubber cement, it was a major PITA to clean off and ultimately took some Goo Gone and a nail brush to get it all off, Dawn and the nail brush didn't do a thing.

The blade didn't rust at all, but I did spot some rust that formed between a liner and the standoffs. Most of it did wipe off but since the liner is rough/brushed there are crevices for the rust to collect. Hopefully this is sorted out with the newer CQI versions, I could see this being much worse around salt water, this knife only hung off a tree for about 2 weeks and I didn't get any of that sap back there so it's gotta be all from rain.

Another plug for using grease in your pivots, the pivot was squeaky clean. As usual you can see how the grease creates a physical barrier to prevent crud from reaching the pivot and seals out water (and in this case hedgeapple goop).

All cleaned up, here's what a fresh bit of grease looks like before assembly. I put a few dabs on each side of the washers and a little glob on the flat part of the D shape on the pivot pin.

~David
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Nice work. Very interesting to see where things gunk up without having to torture my tools or take them apart. Very giving of you to do this with your tools.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Grease is where it’s at! Belray, bullshot, Phil Wood, Mobile 1... from bicycle hubs, headsets and bottom brackets to the op rod in an M1 Garand.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey David,

We really appreciate your efforts on this project. If ever you want to "torture" another model. We'll supply 2, one to kill and one for you.....murderer. ;)

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:35 pm
Hey David,

We really appreciate your efforts on this project. If ever you want to "torture" another model. We'll supply 2, one to kill and one for you.....murderer. ;)

sal

Let me know when you get a Rock Lobster in Spy27 ;)
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I quoted this over here, didn't want to detail the other thread with my nonsense. :D

Enactive wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:49 am
I once lost my Dragonfly Salt for all of December until I remembered I made a Christmas ornament out of it and hung it on the tree :o
Something about you and hanging knives from trees??? :D

Man...we got some snow last night and I was looking out the back door and saw this and laughed my butt off lol.

~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:06 am
I quoted this over here, didn't want to detail the other thread with my nonsense. :D

Enactive wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:24 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:49 am
I once lost my Dragonfly Salt for all of December until I remembered I made a Christmas ornament out of it and hung it on the tree :o
Something about you and hanging knives from trees??? :D

Man...we got some snow last night and I was looking out the back door and saw this and laughed my butt off lol.

Good move. Better etiquette than mine. :D

Hilarious on the snow. Freeze-thaw cycling could be tough on the moving parts and fastener junctions. On another note: your family must be used to your antics by now. :D

I love my LC200N and stoked to have a couple LC Pac Salts coming my way. The Chef was the gateway for me, followed by one N5 Salt, A spare Chef, then another Native (SE) now 2 Pac Salt 2s. :cool: :spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m not sure the knife will benefit from cryogenics at this stage :p