LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've got some of that somewhere.... gotta find it in the garage...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well folks I've got this one last (maybe?) experiment just for laughs even though I'm fairly certain that's just about all it'll be worth.

I started another thread the other day asking about what kinds of things you guys encounter that causes rust the most and I gathered up 6 of the worst sounding things to put on this Caribbean blade (well, not counting the crazy chemical stuff that I don't even know if I can get).

We've got....

Some chicken juice straight from a whole raw roaster chicken

I got some sea salt and boiled it in some water to make the best salt water you can find in Kentucky :rolleyes:

Aaaand then I forgot to get pics of the rest so we've also got an orange, some pork blood (for science), some spaghetti sauce and I cut off a bit of pine to try to make some sappy plant goo but it wasn't working so well so I just cut off a fresh banana pepper and squeezed the juice from that onto the blade.

I sectioned the knife off into 6 blocks which was basically a waste of time because it all sorta mixed together anyway but I did my best to keep as much of each thing into it's own block

And here's what we came up with

@Abyss_Fish I made sure to pour the chicken goo straight down into the pivot just for you :cool:

And THEN I tied the whole thing to the sycamore tree in my back yard where it's going to stay until spring I guess?

Or until a curious squirrel chews through the paracord. At least I hung it with the blade facing down so no woodland creatures accidentally get cut.

I also made sure to fully sharpen the edge before hanging it so we can test if there's any edge degradation from any of this. The only thing I don't have now is heat and humidity since it's fall and it'll be hanging through all of winter....maybe I'll just leave it there for all of 2021 I dunno
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
carrot

Post by carrot »

D, thanks for taking one for the team for us.

Now, what the heck are you going to carry?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

carrot wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:05 pm
D, thanks for taking one for the team for us.

Now, what the heck are you going to carry?

Probably my Rock Jumper. I have another Caribbean too ;)
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So if you haven't been following along, this silly thread is coming up on a whole year on the 7th. That's an entire year of carrying and using this knife (ok so I may have played with a couple others here and there but it was my dedicated work and test knife for like 97% of the year). This knife hasn't even come close to failing me, the edge wasn't (fully) destroyed, It has been used and sharpened more times than I can count and fully reprofiled and I didn't manage to sharpen off the serrations or completely break off any teeth. I'm calling it a win for both the Caribbean and for SE/LC200N. I think I can safely say this is my hands down favorite knife and SE/LC200N are definitely the steel and edge combo I'll be begging for in every sprint thread we start up.
~David
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Thank you for an awesome thread. Absolutely loved this one. 👍
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Can't wait to get a serrated CQI when they drop!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
vivi

Post by vivi »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 pm
What changes will the CQI bring? Any word?

I'd be real tempted to give this knife a shot if they gave it a stiffer detent. Aside from my preference for locks with a strong self close bias the Caribbean has always struck me an essentially perfect design.
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Dang guess I finally need to drag out my SE leaf Caribbean.

Like vivi, my only hang up is the detent, and perhaps the compression lock (just not my thing)
Other than that it seems about perfect.

Edit* now it’s gonna rain and wash it all off :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

What a great thread. This is the Spyderco Forum at its best, IMO! Thanks David for all the crazy stuff you've done with that knife!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Is there any copper in that cable? Doesn't look like it from the photo. If it is some cheap twinax dual RG-6 with steel wires, I can see that it would indeed be quite a torture test. Cat-5 ought to be copper and should be a whole lot easier.

That Caribbean does have a nice look to it. My only SE knife is my Jumpmaster that I finally sprung for
and holy cow, does it rip through stuff.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Edit* now it’s gonna rain and wash it all off :D

Yeah I thought of that, I guess we'll see. If it does I might take it down and just cover it in blood and maybe lay it under the deck out back.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:40 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:

I'd be real tempted to give this knife a shot if they gave it a stiffer detent. Aside from my preference for locks with a strong self close bias the Caribbean has always struck me an essentially perfect design.
coated hardware and standoffs, i think a finer surface finish on the liners as well.

When i got my CQI sheepsfoot plainedge (the spyderedge haven't dropped yet), i strengthened the detent and it's been perfect ever since.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:55 am
vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:40 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:

coated hardware and standoffs, i think a finer surface finish on the liners as well.

When i got my CQI sheepsfoot plainedge (the spyderedge haven't dropped yet), i strengthened the detent and it's been perfect ever since.
The CQI PE leaf Caribbean I have has about the same detent strength as the pre-CQI SE leaf I have. I don't think detent was addressed in this CQI. Imo, it's on the weaker side of average, but not so much as to be an issue for me unless I wanted to carry it iwb.

And I'll add my thanks for an awesome and entertaining thread!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd still carry it iwb, but maybe my wb is a little more snug than most.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 pm

I started another thread the other day asking about what kinds of things you guys encounter that causes rust the most and I gathered up 6 of the worst sounding things to put on this Caribbean blade (well, not counting the crazy chemical stuff that I don't even know if I can get).

Cool experiment!! :)

Though you could have gotten the denture cleaner tabs I mentioned in that thread pretty easily ;)
(As said: I use those for cleaning bike bottles and water bladders, and the (dissolved in water) tabs corrode steel badly and fast).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:58 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Cool experiment!! :)

Though you could have gotten the denture cleaner tabs I mentioned in that thread pretty easily ;)
(As said: I use those for cleaning bike bottles and water bladders, and the (dissolved in water) tabs corrode steel badly and fast).

Well, I went with things I thought most average people might encounter with their knives, not so much what things would definitely damage the blade.
~David
carrot

Post by carrot »

Evil D, since you own both, help me split the vote: Sheepfoot SE or Leaf SE and why? I'm slightly more interested in Sheepfoot SE since I already have the Tenacious SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Evil D, since you own both, help me split the vote: Sheepfoot SE or Leaf SE and why? I'm slightly more interested in Sheepfoot SE since I already have the Tenacious SE.

I'm a big fan of wharncliffes and sheepsfoots in general, but my favorite is being able to combine the two so I went got the sheepsfoot and reprofiled the spine down to more of a point so it's the best of both worlds.

~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:59 pm
carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm a big fan of wharncliffes and sheepsfoots in general, but my favorite is being able to combine the two so I went got the sheepsfoot and reprofiled the spine down to more of a point so it's the best of both worlds.

This exact thing with a backlock would certainly be one of the most perfect folders I can imagine... Rock Jumper XL, we need you.. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)