LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:21 am

To a very special friend ;)

As for the Ulize, the blade shape makes SE less necessary. Infact, it's probably my new favorite blade shape. Truly a beast, fiercely competing with the Caribbean.

BLASPHEMY! :eek:

I just want to try a recurve like this in full SE. The heel/middle will perform like a hawkbill while the tip will perform like a standard bellied blade. It's not just the best of both worlds, it IS both worlds.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:31 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:21 am

To a very special friend ;)

As for the Ulize, the blade shape makes SE less necessary. Infact, it's probably my new favorite blade shape. Truly a beast, fiercely competing with the Caribbean.
It's not just the best of both worlds, it IS both worlds.
Precisely!

It has been ideal, for everything I've used it for. Especially oranges... I can't express how nice that function is for me.

This knife in full LC200N, would be a knockout! Don't change anything, just make all the parts out of LC200N. SE option, because why not?

FFG, maybe. But, the hollow grind has been fantastic. It's pretty high and the blade is very thin. I'd be okay with it staying HG.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just cut up some flank steak. Edge retention was not an issue, no edge damage :cool:

Image (yes of course I disinfected it first lol)
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 pm
Just cut up some flank steak. Edge retention was not an issue, no edge damage :cool:

Image (yes of course I disinfected it first lol)
I bet you took years off the life of your cutting board though
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:07 pm
Food prep? .....

David, concerning "food prep": Go for a coconut, if you like... ;)...(not just kidding though, would be interesting indeed...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:21 am
Evil D wrote:
Food prep? .....

David, concerning "food prep": Go for a coconut, if you like... ;)...(not just kidding though, would be interesting indeed...)

Hmm I'll see what I can do. We have an international food market here that likely has fresh ones but with the virus crap going on I'm not sure I can go there, it's across the state line and they're threatening to quarantine people who leave the state. I'll check for it locally too.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

evild, have you done any testing with the modded sheepsfoot you posted a while back?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:21 am
Evil D wrote:
Food prep? .....

Hmm I'll see what I can do. We have an international food market here that likely has fresh ones but with the virus crap going on I'm not sure I can go there, it's across the state line and they're threatening to quarantine people who leave the state. I'll check for it locally too.

Please don't do anything just even slightly out-off-the-way-stuff just for that coconut!! :eek:

There'll come better times, but then I'd be certainly interested to see what the Caribbean SE can do to a coconut if you'd like to run that test... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:42 am
evild, have you done any testing with the modded sheepsfoot you posted a while back?

It gets used daily but I've stuck with the same knife (leaf blade) for all these tests just to see how it handles extended hard use. This is as much a test of the Caribbean model as it is of the steel and edge type. I'm not sure blade shape would have made much difference in these tests since most of the cuts were made around the center of the edge/belly where both knives are pretty much the same.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:01 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:42 am

It gets used daily but I've stuck with the same knife (leaf blade) for all these tests just to see how it handles extended hard use. This is as much a test of the Caribbean model as it is of the steel and edge type. I'm not sure blade shape would have made much difference in these tests since most of the cuts were made around the center of the edge/belly where both knives are pretty much the same.
It amazes me how much abuse and neglect this knife can take. I treat mine like a red-headed step child, it just shrugs it off and keeps going. It's starting to get personal, like it's calling me a punk b!+$#.

I treat rental cars better than I treat this knife!

What will kill it? Like a Tootsie Pop, "The world may never know."

:spyder:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:15 am

It amazes me how much abuse and neglect this knife can take. I treat mine like a red-headed step child, it just shrugs it off and keeps going. It's starting to get personal, like it's calling me a punk b!+$#.

I treat rental cars better than I treat this knife!

What will kill it? Like a Tootsie Pop, "The world may never know."

:spyder:

Hard to say, I would love to see some failure testing of pretty much every knife Spyderco makes. The pivot is smaller than I realized, I initially thought it was huge until I compared it to a Military/Para 2 bushing pivot, so I wonder if it would benefit from a larger pivot.

Something I've given a lot of thought to lately is how the compression lock and liner locks are limited to a certain size washer, at least on the lock bar side. I would make the switch to back locks just for larger diameter washers, but overall it seems that Spyderco tend to run smaller diameter washers than a lot of other companies. I'm not sure why they don't run offset sized washers like CRK do on the Sebenza, they could run a much larger washer on the non lock side on compression lock knives and that would go a long way towards controlling blade play. That plus a larger bushing pivot would make it a sturdier knife.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've not experienced any blade play with a compression lock aside from the Ti A.T.R, but I've got that figured out(just gotta take the time to send it off).

Not that I dislike backlocks, they are in my top two. However, they have more "play" than any compression lock I've ever seen. The lock rock that's present on almost all the backlocks, while not concerning, is "play". My Caribbean and all prior compression locks have been completely free of play, like bank vaults. I'll take either, but I slightly prefer the comp.

As for the pivot, who knows? It has not been an issue as of yet. Bigger would be fine, but at that level of failure, I can't imagine the added pivot thickness is going to provide a huge increase in durability. At the level of stress required to cause the pivot to fail, there are so many different pieces around the pivot that could fail, the increase in durability of that one component is negligible.

There's an equation somewhere that could quantify this, diminishing returns or something like that.

Let me know when your pivot fails. If it ever does, I wanna see the aftermath! :p

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:07 am

Let me know when your pivot fails. If it ever does, I wanna see the aftermath! :p

It would take something really stupid like maybe batoning a coconut or excessive prying. Some of these tests are about the hardest I've used any knife ever and aside from some scratches and sharpening this knife is basically still new.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

This thread makes me wish my Caribbean was SE (even though I do like my PE Caribbean). :)

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:10 am
This thread makes me wish my Caribbean was SE (even though I do like my PE Caribbean). :)

Jim

Everything is better in SE ;)

Pretty good excuse to get another one, get whatever the other blade shape is that you don't have in SE for variety.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i typically love a leaf shaped blade, but i think i love the look of your modded sheepsfoot even better, especially with how similar the blade is to a wharncliffe. i’ve never ground a blade before. have you considered a thread dedicated to the process you went through modding your sheepsfoot version? i don’t tend to do heavy modding on knives, but your work with that knife might just inspire me to grab one and really make it mine.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:11 am
i typically love a leaf shaped blade, but i think i love the look of your modded sheepsfoot even better, especially with how similar the blade is to a wharncliffe. i’ve never ground a blade before. have you considered a thread dedicated to the process you went through modding your sheepsfoot version? i don’t tend to do heavy modding on knives, but your work with that knife might just inspire me to grab one and really make it mine.

It's really simple if you have a Dremel, just take your time and keep the blade cool by dipping it in water. Think of it like carving a curve into a stick. I usually draw out the curve I'm imagining in Sharpie and then carve away with the Dremel much the same as you'd cut off a slice of apple, pulling the Dremel down the spine towards my thumb. If you take it slow and steady it's hard to screw up. Since I use a sanding barrel it isn't exactly easy to remove metal which makes it a bit safer since it's a slow process. I originally thought I wanted a reverse tanto shape but after I drew that out on the blade it look more like a broken tip repair than what I had imagined so it ended up the way it is now.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:08 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:07 am

It would take something really stupid like maybe batoning a coconut or excessive prying. Some of these tests are about the hardest I've used any knife ever and aside from some scratches and sharpening this knife is basically still new.
It's an amazing thing, sir. A marvel of modern materials and design.

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:33 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:11 am

It's really simple if you have a Dremel, just take your time and keep the blade cool by dipping it in water. Think of it like carving a curve into a stick. I usually draw out the curve I'm imagining in Sharpie and then carve away with the Dremel much the same as you'd cut off a slice of apple, pulling the Dremel down the spine towards my thumb. If you take it slow and steady it's hard to screw up. Since I use a sanding barrel it isn't exactly easy to remove metal which makes it a bit safer since it's a slow process. I originally thought I wanted a reverse tanto shape but after I drew that out on the blade it look more like a broken tip repair than what I had imagined so it ended up the way it is now.
well, it looks great. that picture you shared of it made me want a caribbean even more. i’ll probably do something similar to yours and shave off a little of the hook like we’ve discussed in the past. i gotta wait until the cqi is done and they start rolling out again though.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:47 pm

well, it looks great. that picture you shared of it made me want a caribbean even more. i’ll probably do something similar to yours and shave off a little of the hook like we’ve discussed in the past. i gotta wait until the cqi is done and they start rolling out again though.

I don't think you can make the butt of the handle as narrow as a Manix 2 but you should be able to round it off quite a bit before exposing the tip/edge becomes an issue, especially if you get the sheepsfoot version.
~David