LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:51 pm
I've got a SE Caribbean awaiting your torture test suggestions. Come at me bro. ....
David and others, any data on how SE LC200N compares to SE VG10 concerning toughness and such torture tests?

For me VG10 is more than rustproof enough, so if it is somewhat like LC200N concerning toughness I´d have no need for the latter (but can´t compare myself, don´t have any LC knives)

See also this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83741 I started once, where knowledgable people give their impressions on LC200 N vs VG10 and S30V (but not necessarely concerning toughness)

I've never used VG10/SE that hard but I would suspect it would do pretty well. I've never had any major chipping and rolling issues with VG10 in either edge type.
Thanks David!
And my VG10 Endela SE holds up to harder use pretty well so far indeed
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Just to parrot what others have said, thank you for creating this thread and posting these tests. As someone who has recently started to carry a SE as my primary blade, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holland wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:21 pm
This thread is awesome, keep it going David!

Could try to emulate hitting a bone when skinning an animal? Try to cut some ribs in half or something :D

Good morning everyone. Sorry this one took me so long to get around to, I ended up paying the price in a way. My wife saved me a rib bone from a couple WEEKS ago when she made ribs, and this sucker sat in a ziploc bag in the fridge ever since so it STINKS lol.

This little thing was hard to hold onto but I really went for it, cutting straight into it in a sawing motion and then once I had cut through to the marrow I cut my way downward in a carving motion.

(If this sort of pic bothers anyone please let me know and I'll just change these pics to links).

Edge before:

The cut:

Edge after:

Still easily push cuts phone book paper:

This had no perceivable effect on the edge or teeth whatsoever. I'm sure there are other animals and types of bone that may be harder, and I would expect a dried out bone to be much harder, but for the purpose of skinning I wouldn't expect this knife to have any problems cutting through tendon and separating joints and such, at least as well as any folder can be expected to handle that kind of work. I might expect more edge damage or rounded teeth on a brand new knife that hasn't been sharpened the way I've sharpened this one, this is another example of why I believe rounding off the teeth is a major performance advantage.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice. I would have expected damage. Cool test.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

👍
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice! I would have expected some deflection of the teeth.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:12 am
I need to get more bones and try it from the back side of the blade. I wonder if the ridges on the front side somehow protected the edge or something.
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:22 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
I need to get more bones and try it from the back side of the blade. I wonder if the ridges on the front side somehow protected the edge or something.
Perhaps the bulk beneath the edge provided support that wouldn’t be there for the same task performed left handed?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Perhaps the bulk beneath the edge provided support that wouldn’t be there for the same task performed left handed?

Could be. It's definitely a little trickier carving from the front side. I wanna try a large ham bone, something that's thicker outside before you reach the marrow.
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:32 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:

Could be. It's definitely a little trickier carving from the front side. I wanna try a large ham bone, something that's thicker outside before you reach the marrow.
That’ll be a tough test.

Makes me think of a quick story. My 80-lb chocolate lab was one day chewing on a bone, one of those sections of cow femur I think. I heard a loud POP, he dropped the bone, got up and walked off, and never touched it again. This after shredding many smaller bones. A dog’s got to know his limitations!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm reaching a point here where I'm starting to feel like I need to put a disclaimer into these posts. For starters I don't think this is reasonable use by any steel, by any edge type. I also fully believe that the damage that occurred here would be significantly worse with a factory edge, so don't go doing something this stupid with your knife unless you're prepared and capable of fixing the edge afterwards.

I went out today and bought this:

I'm not entirely sure what bone that is, I assume it's a femur (beef). It's extremely thick on the outside before hitting the marrow, and extremely hard. But, for those of you who hunt and process animals and are curious how this steel/SE will handle the occasional bump against bone....here ya go. I didn't bother taking a before pic of the edge...you guys know the deal, it was push cutting phone book paper and tree topping arm hair.

The cut:

No surprise at all, it didn't make much of a dent in a carving cut, it basically just slipped across the surface. I kept increasing the angle until I knew the edge was making contact with the bone but I still couldn't get much of a cut. By the time I was finished I was literally sawing at the bone like you would with an actual saw, and believe me when I say I white knuckled it. This is FAR beyond the level of contact and damage than you'll encounter when cleaning a deer/elk/moose/brontosaurus.

The Damage:

It basically rolled the very tip of each tooth. There was no chipping or breaking of the teeth/edge anywhere that I could find. I didn't bother doing a cutting test after this since I'm sure the scallops between the teeth were still plenty sharp since they couldn't make contact with the bone, so it wouldn't tell us anything anyway. You can see in those pics the shine on the tips, that's where the teeth rolled towards the back of the blade (due to the angle that I was cutting at).

What I would take away from this is 1) I used a LOT of force to cut into the bone as much as I did....like more than you'll ever put into an accidental whack on a bone while skinning or quartering, 2) The teeth rolled instead of chipping or breaking off, 3) Even though I have already reprofiled and rounded off the teeth on this knife which make them stronger and more resistant to damage, the teeth still rolled. This could simply be the limit of what the steel can handle, or it could just be how hard I went for it and this could happen to any steel.

If you're wondering...NO I didn't bother doing this with my Autonomy, sorry guys that knife costs too much to do stupid knife tricks with. This Caribbean was gifted to me so I feel a bit less guilty about these tests (afterall, the fella who bought it mentioned doing tests like this when he got it anyway). That said, I have absolutely no doubt that H1 would have rolled in the same way, I don't think a steel exists that wouldn't have rolled during this cut in SE. I don't really see this "test" as really proving anything that most people should have already expected, that bone is stupid hard and not something you want to try sawing through. Regardless, I wouldn't have any fear of using a Caribbean to quarter a deer.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh, and of course....it's right back to fighting shape again after a little time on the CBN rods to repair the rolled spots and then some passes on the brown/fine/UF and stropped on the edge of my Goldenstone leather sheath:

~David
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:51 pm
...I know next to nothing of electrickery...
Back in school, I studied electrical engineering. Electrickery is on a slow burn in my brain for the foreseeable future. Good on ya, Bloke!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Did you seriously take a slice out of the side of the bone? How thick of a slice? Wow.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Great testing David! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Nice work David.

sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Thanks for showing us your tests! 👍
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for taking one for the team, and thanks for the info.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:59 pm
Did you seriously take a slice out of the side of the bone? How thick of a slice? Wow.

It was more like shavings. I knew there would be a difference between a pork ribs and a beef femur but I was surprised how hard this bone was. Cutting through the rib was more like a hard wood, this femur was like trying to carve a rock.
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Thank you for the test.

Also, that's an expensive bone :D