LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: LC200N / Caribbean SE torture test gauntlet of death

Post by tonijedi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:42 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm
Cut open more than one bag of concrete, lol.
Well if I had said bags of concrete lol
Luckily you only need one, you probably won't make it all the way through that one.

Go ahead, ask me how I know! ;)
Serious question, not trying to mock or make fun, do you need to use a knife to open a bag of concrete?
The ones I know of can easily be open by hand or with a blow of a shovel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Luckily you only need one, you probably won't make it all the way through that one.

Well I guess it is essentially dragging the blade through a bag of rocks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Serious question, not trying to mock or make fun, do you need to use a knife to open a bag of concrete?
The ones I know of can easily be open by hand or with a blow of a shovel.
No offense taken.

I was putting up posts to start building a workshop and one of the concrete bags wouldn't open. No shovel on hand(dug the holes the day before with a posthole digger), so I used my Mantra to slice the corner.

Instantly dulled the blade, like cutting fiberglass insulation...

However, it came back to life very quickly on the Sharpmaker.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:51 pm
awa54 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:20 pm
That twinned RG-6 is mostly used for sattelite TV receivers, it's usually stainless or sometimes aluminum braid ...
Interesting David, I know next to nothing of electrickery or cables.

Anyhow, can’t help thinking stainless braid would likely leave most edges, at least a little worse for wear. :)

The center conductor is the real killer... It's not mild, annealed stuff, but at least partially hardened 18 or 20ga. Carbon steel. Some has a double layer of braid shield too, but the braid is only 30 to 36ga. And unhardened, quite a bit is also aluminum.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Some of the toughest stuff on my edges is solid copper electrical wire. the work hardening is real.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Co-ax cable is on a completely different level than power cords and cat5. that solid chunk of metal in the middle will readily ruin an edge. I prefer the wire cutters on my Leatherman for that job :)
:unicorn
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mineral finished roofing felt / shingles has killed a few of my edges .....I would also be interested to see it up against some plasterboard / drywall.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Co-ax cable is on a completely different level than power cords and cat5. that solid chunk of metal in the middle will readily ruin an edge. I prefer the wire cutters on my Leatherman for that job :)

Oh I openly agree it was stupid the first time when I cut it with my Autonomy, I went for it too fast and didn't realize what I was cutting. I figured since I did it with H1 I'd see how LC handled it just for the heck of it.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well we appreciate your sacrifice :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Well if nothing else I think it's step one in showing that the teeth aren't just going to wipe off with hard use. Yes the teeth points can chip but once they're rounded off they get tougher too. If I had broke an entire tooth off down to the scallops I'd be much more concerned.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:29 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Well if nothing else I think it's step one in showing that the teeth aren't just going to wipe off with hard use. Yes the teeth points can chip but once they're rounded off they get tougher too. If I had broke an entire tooth off down to the scallops I'd be much more concerned.
For sure. That satin blade Pacific I've been carrying lately was all messed up when I got it, but the serration pattern was still in tact. Some rolls in the scallops and some very bent teeth, but I got it straightened out on my diamond sharpmaker rods. I've never seen teeth completely snap off any Spyderco SE knife.

Have you ever tried push cutting through a paperclip? That's another one I tried when I was more into destructive testing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Have you ever tried push cutting through a paperclip? That's another one I tried when I was more into destructive testing.

Nope. I really need to get some more rods ordered, I had to put off totally reprofiling this bevel, it would take all week. I went back to 40 and worked out all but two minor chips towards the tip and got the rest nice and sharp again.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm
Vivi wrote:

Nope. I really need to get some more rods ordered, I had to put off totally reprofiling this bevel, it would take all week. I went back to 40 and worked out all but two minor chips towards the tip and got the rest nice and sharp again.
Do you have diamond or cbn rods?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm
Vivi wrote:

Do you have diamond or cbn rods?

I've got diamond but I wore them out on my Ulize using too much pressure when I didn't know any better. There are smooth spots on the corners.

This was after a LOT of passes on the 30 slots.

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok guys buckle up I've got 40 pics coming your way. After the batonning, the knife was still basically just as sharp as when I started, so I decided to just do ALL of this on the same "sharpening", so all of this start to finish was done without touching up the edge at all between tests.

First off, batonning. I first found an old dry branch but quickly came to my senses....it was stupid hard, I could barely carve the stuff. So, I needed to trim this big bush SOB anyway so here's the most reasonable branch I could get to. I used a little dead blow hammer to make it easier to whack.

And the aftermath was.....literally no damage at all. Still plenty sharp enough to cleanly slice phone book paper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Round two, lets cut some drywall. I had a bigger piece but I figured I could just cut this piece into smaller pieces and get enough out of it. I made 7 cuts straight down into it. This is one of the worst "wrong tool for the job" situations I've ever been in. I don't know why any serious drywall guy wouldn't just use a saw.

And the aftermath was....no damage whatsoever. I will say though, you guys using pocket knives to cut drywall are crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On to round three, I cut out the whole sidewall of an old tire. This tire was a good bit dry rotted but I tried to cut in the less cracked areas.

And the aftermath was....literally no damage at all. Still slicing phone book paper but no longer push cutting it.

I started to cut through the tread section but quickly came to my senses....there are way too many steel belts there. I stabbed the center of the tire and it did chip the tip a wee bit.

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I decided to break that into two posts, some of the pics weren't loading right.

Lets cut some actual CAT5 cable (lol).

And the aftermath was....literally no damage at all. Still slicing phone book but not push cutting. Still VERY sharp, it went through this cable like spaghetti. I didn't even bother taking pics after this one...

I finished this off during the tests so it got thrown into the mix.

And the aftermath was....a bit duller, still no chips or rolled spots. It'll still cut phone book paper but not as cleanly as I'd like. It'll still easily slice printer paper.

I know that looks like a hole in the blade but it's just a bit of Coke lol

Moving right along I found an old appliance cord to butcher...

And the aftermath was....you guessed it, no damage. Still slicing printer paper easily.

Big zip tie? Why not.

Blah blah blah no damage. Still slicing printer paper but well within my realm of needing to be sharpened. It would probably go on cutting more wire and such indefinitely.

Next?

Oh and do you guys get annoyed by the large/bold text? I feel like it gets lost between the pics so for me it helps to keep my place that way. If it's annoying on mobile or whatever let me know.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not surprised by the results. I was wondering if you were going to run into the steel belts in the tire....those will definitely mess an edge up with a quickness. Cat5 is very mild stuff...when it's cat5 :p
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Really nice test. Got me excited to get a serrated native 5 salt to go with my plain edge one. I recall an online review where the atlantic salt cut a car tire in half steel belts and all. Id bet the carribean could do it as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm
Really nice test. Got me excited to get a serrated native 5 salt to go with my plain edge one. I recall an online review where the atlantic salt cut a car tire in half steel belts and all. Id bet the carribean could do it as well.
I dunno, the center belts are one thing but the outer bead is pretty serious stuff. Not all tires are made the same way but there's no chance I'd even try cutting the side wall.

~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t have much to add, other than to say this is a great thread, Evil D. Thanks!

Jim