Flipper musings (Mantra 2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T_MAC686

Re: Flipper musings (Mantra 2)

Post by T_MAC686 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 pm
T_MAC686 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:39 pm
Yep, after fixing my Sliverax I took my Mantra apart with the intent to open the detent hole a little on that one. Turns out the detent ball was just really flat. I flipped it around and it much improved. I ended up putting it back together without opening the hole. No need for it at this point.

I’m not sure I have the resources or skill to perform these modifications.. I feel like it would be very easy to mess up the knife?..
I would've thought so too...until I tried it. I did it by hand and only removed a little material at a time. It was actually very easy to do. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact I received a Hanan recently that's going to get the improved detent at some point in the near future.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82412&p=1310864&hil ... t#p1310864

Ok, you convinced me! I ordered a pin vise and some diamond bur bits.. should be here next week so I can give it a go! :o
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 pm
T_MAC686 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:39 pm
Yep, after fixing my Sliverax I took my Mantra apart with the intent to open the detent hole a little on that one. Turns out the detent ball was just really flat. I flipped it around and it much improved. I ended up putting it back together without opening the hole. No need for it at this point.

I’m not sure I have the resources or skill to perform these modifications.. I feel like it would be very easy to mess up the knife?..
I would've thought so too...until I tried it. I did it by hand and only removed a little material at a time. It was actually very easy to do. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact I received a Hanan recently that's going to get the improved detent at some point in the near future.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82412&p=1310864&hil ... t#p1310864

Ok, you convinced me! I ordered a pin vise and some diamond bur bits.. should be here next week so I can give it a go! :o
Just remember to be smart about it. Go slow, take a little off and put it back to together and try it. You can even set the lock bar & ball on the hole to see how it's changed as you're doing it. I'll be interested to hear how you do. What I don't want to hear is that you got carried away trying to make the detent too strong and took too much off. A little bit does make a big difference and it doesn't need to be ZT strong for it to flip well. When I did my Sliverax I increased the detent enough so that the blade opens fully with even a light press on the flipper tab. I could've made it stronger but I didn't need to. I flies open with a firm stroke, opens easily using the hole, and I can't shake the blade out.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Back to the washers vs bearings, I prefer the hydraulic smoothness of well done washers like on my Sebenza or my Slsyz Bowie to the zero resistance of my good bearing knives. It just feels more premium to me, just like a nice stout pull and loud talk on a traditional feels more premium than an easy pull and little snap on a cheaper one. Idk, just something about that feeling of a good washer setup. I do like my bearing knives. My Socom Elite is wonderfully smooth as are some others. My advocate could be better but I'm sure others have very smooth ones. They just don't feel as good in comparison.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 pm
Just remember to be smart about it. Go slow, take a little off and put it back to together and try it. You can even set the lock bar & ball on the hole to see how it's changed as you're doing it. I'll be interested to hear how you do. What I don't want to hear is that you got carried away trying to make the detent too strong and took too much off. A little bit does make a big difference and it doesn't need to be ZT strong for it to flip well. When I did my Sliverax I increased the detent enough so that the blade opens fully with even a light press on the flipper tab. I could've made it stronger but I didn't need to. I flies open with a firm stroke, opens easily using the hole, and I can't shake the blade out.

Sounds good- I appreciate the advice! I will be sure to let you know how it goes!!

Post by 013 »

My new Mantra II doesn't flip the same as my ZT0808 (only other flipper I have to compare it to), but I love it all the same. The 0808 has a much heavier blade & stiffer detent. The Mantra is a completely different animal with a much lighter & sleeker blade. The detent on my example is crisp. It flips when I want it to & when I want to open it slowly, it does that nicely too. Its a light weight package that's very low profile. It's new, so the bearings do have some resistance, but they get the job done. I feel that when I break it in some more, it will be much smoother than it is now.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

Post by 013 »

013 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:47 am
My new Mantra II doesn't flip the same as my ZT0808 (only other flipper I have to compare it to), but I love it all the same. The 0808 has a much heavier blade & stiffer detent. The Mantra is a completely different animal with a much lighter & sleeker blade. The detent on my example is crisp. It flips when I want it to & when I want to open it slowly, it does that nicely too. Its a light weight package that's very low profile. It's new, so the bearings do have some resistance, but they get the job done. I feel that when I break it in some more, it will be much smoother than it is now.
(awa54, I hope you don't mind me bumping your thread again🔝)
Well, now that I've had my Mantra II for a little while, I'm glad that I ignored the "bad rep" that this model was given. It has broken in very nicely. It repetitively flips at any angle & with a crisp detent. I can also consistently mis-fire it so as to not alarm any civilians. My Break Free Collector Gun Wipes have been working great to prevent oxidation on the CPM REX M4 HC HS tool steel. I never oiled the pivot, but I did put a drop of Super Lube on the detent hole to prevent wear. Out of all the different blade steels that I own, this is my sharpest & favorite. Thank You Spyderco.
Holybotulism

Post by Holybotulism »

My Mantra 2 has a weak detent that's especially evident when light switching the flipper, however when I push button the flipper, it snaps with authority. I'm not sure if it was intentionally designed that way, but that's the primary way I deploy the blade. Sometimes I'll fail the blade intentionally and then use the tiny spydie hole to push the blade until locked.

Post by 013 »

Holybotulism wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:43 pm
My Mantra 2 has a weak detent that's especially evident when light switching the flipper, however when I push button the flipper, it snaps with authority. I'm not sure if it was intentionally designed that way, but that's the primary way I deploy the blade. Sometimes I'll fail the blade intentionally and then use the tiny spydie hole to push the blade until locked.
When I first got mine, push button was the only way to consistently deploy, which I felt was unfortunate but not a big deal. After cycling it about 50 times, I forgot about the push button & it's been light switch all the time.
Have you contemplated doing a detent mod?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have a spec (or link) for a ceramic bearing to replace the detent ball?
Holybotulism

Post by Holybotulism »

013 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am
Holybotulism wrote:
When I first got mine, push button was the only way to consistently deploy, which I felt was unfortunate but not a big deal. After cycling it about 50 times, I forgot about the push button & it's been light switch all the time.
I've definitely surpassed 50 flips, so detent mod is probably my only hope for a light switchable action. Push button is not a deal breaker for me, but I might like the knife more if it had a stronger detent. I may have to try the detent mod at some point.

Post by 013 »

Holybotulism wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 am
013 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am
Holybotulism wrote:
I've definitely surpassed 50 flips, so detent mod is probably my only hope for a light switchable action. Push button is not a deal breaker for me, but I might like the knife more if it had a stronger detent. I may have to try the detent mod at some point.
The detent mod seems pretty simple to accomplish. Only thing is to not take off too much material.
What would be really cool is a Spyderco Mantra II XL (Ti of course)with cylindrical bearings, beefier lockbar, and the M4 coated. Or maybe some CTS-XHP. we would need jimping & better access to the wee spydie hole. Also, delete the lanyard hole & put a lanyard pin instead. Then maybe Flytanium can come out with some CF, copper, brass, moonglow, or micarta show scales & backspacer options.