Back lock action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Back lock action

Post by Wartstein »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 pm
As I was one of those (or even the only one?) who said he does so (or better just CAN do so, for I iactually never really use this method. It's definitely not practical by any means) let me repeat:
Of course in a reverse grip!!

I’m not doubting you, I just want to see it!! Can you put up a video of you doing this with some of your knives?
Really no time at the moment, so here quick vid of first try. Keep in mind m: Pac Salt very new, not really broken in, action set rather tight (how I like to set it always)

https://streamable.com/p350k
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
As I was one of those (or even the only one?) who said he does so (or better just CAN do so, for I iactually never really use this method. It's definitely not practical by any means) let me repeat:

I’m not doubting you, I just want to see it!! Can you put up a video of you doing this with some of your knives?
Really no time at the moment, so here quick vid of first try. Keep in mind m: Pac Salt very new, not really broken in, action set rather tight (how I like to set it always)

Cool. I don’t usuall flick. I prefer controlled opening but also many broken and jammed fingers from my youth make this difficult nowadays.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:

Dang- Nice job Wartstein! Like I said, I never doubted you, but a video is worth a thousand words ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Dang- Nice job Wartstein! Like I said, I never doubted you, but a video is worth a thousand words ;)
Thanks!

To be honest:IF I had thought you doubted me, I would NOT have done a vid ;) (I am here on that forum for fun, enjoyment, to learn and sometimes even to show people something, but I´d never do a vid cause someone doesn´t believe me and challenges me to proove me right. That´s just NOT what I am here for. I hope most people believe what I say and if someone does not, I really don´t care. But if someone asks out of interest, like you did, I am actually always glad to show what I just said beforehand :) )

And, remark: This is even a bad example on the vid, cause I released my pinky rather late from the opeing hole (if we´re nitpicky here: When it comes to flicking a knife, it´s a question of definition up to what point you actually have to release the finger that does the flick, and from what point on it "just" is more or less a one handed opening).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:

Well I'm impressed!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Well I'm impressed!
You're a climber, Ma'am, or at least you were one: You can do it too! ;)

Honestly, it´s not that hard! With most of my other, broken in and oiled backlocks even easier.

Just start practicing by holding the knife like I do in the vid (revers grip, pinched between index finger and thumb, the latter placed on the clip about where the "dent" is in the clip right before its end)
Then try to open the blade with your pinkie in the opening hole in one, rather slow motion, and keep the pinky in the opening hole all the time.
By that you get a feeling for the motion and will be able to flick the blade eventually.

Though I have to say once more: THIS is really just a "knife trick" and not practical at all!! ;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I feel humiliated.
Warstein is flicking backlock knife with his pinky and I can´t flick any of my backlocks with my thumb.....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 pm
I feel humiliated.
Warstein is flicking backlock knife with his pinky and I can´t flick any of my backlocks with my thumb.....
Right?! :p
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:05 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:

Well I'm impressed!

Honestly, it´s not that hard! With most of my other, broken in and oiled backlocks even easier.

Just start practicing by holding the knife like I do in the vid (revers grip, pinched between index finger and thumb, the latter placed on the clip about where the "dent" is in the clip right before its end)
Then try to open the blade with your pinkie in the opening hole in one, rather slow motion, and keep the pinky in the opening hole all the time.
By that you get a feeling for the motion and will be able to flick the blade eventually.

Though I have to say once more: THIS is really just a "knife trick" and not practical at all!! ;)
Yeah, I was a casual climber like 15 years ago...I only remember having grip strength. ;)
- Julia

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 pm
I feel humiliated.
Dear Pancake, though I can flick my backlocks with each of my fingers I still have to say: I cannot think of one single situation in my day to day life where this has any advantage over just opening the knives one handed with a thumb roll... it´s really just a trick without any practical value imho.
But still I definitely like to do it... :rolleyes:

IF you want to flick your backlocks with the thumb: Imagine you move your thumb not "outwards", away from the handle, but as much as possible "forward" toward the front / pivot end of the handle when doing the "flick".
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 pm

IF you want to flick your backlocks with the thumb: Imagine you move your thumb not "outwards", away from the handle, but as much as possible "forward" toward the front / pivot end of the handle when doing the "flick".
Perfect description!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:05 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Well I'm impressed!

Yeah, I was a casual climber like 15 years ago...I only remember having grip strength. ;)
Grip strength is not that important here, really.

But again: No practical value in flicking backlocks anyway... I personally just enjoy doing it, for whatever reasaon.
It´s just like I also like throwing knives or Tomahawks, playing with balisongs a bit and so on. Perhaps makes me feel like a kid again, which is not a bad thing, right? ;)