Centofante

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crazywednesday

Centofante

Post by crazywednesday »

I know there has been some discussion about CQI the Centofante. A previous post had me thinking, how cool would it be to bring back the Centofante 4 wharncliffe in K390 FFG? Would anyone other than me have interest in this?
Last edited by crazywednesday on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
crazywednesday

Re: Centofante

Post by crazywednesday »

I'm going to comment on my own post even though it makes me a knife nerd.

I would buy two, and I never buy two.
Justin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

2mm FFG K390. Mmmm. Ok I'm done.
Justin
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Isn't the wharncliffe the Centofante 4?

I think it makes more sense with a stainless alloy, but it's a great lockback in any steel.

I've never seen a Vesuvius (early C66 with compression lock, made in Golden) in person, but that's the Centofante model I would pick for a Sprint run. Wharncliffe would be great since it should be thinner behind the edge, but they're both gorgeous blades.

Ivory (paper) micarta would be perfect for any of these models, IMO. But since the FRN molds are already around, a run with white or ivory-colored handles would also get my attention. (Saw a white dragonfly on Reddit the other day, and I've been trying to think of another model that would be excellent in light-shade scales.)
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I think the 4 was the wharncliffe. It would be cool to see it come back in some form or another. People can't seem to get enough wharncliffes these days so the timing would be right.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Make it ffg (but still 2mm stock) and I'd buy it no matter if VG10 or K390...
It was only the sabre/ hollow grind that made me sell mine. Did certainly like lock, weight, linerless FRN, great, neutral handle, edge all the way back to the handle...

EDIT: I´d prefer the Centofante 3 blade shape, not the wharncliff of the "4"
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:41 pm
I think the 4 was the wharncliffe. It would be cool to see it come back in some form or another. People can't seem to get enough wharncliffes these days so the timing would be right.
Thanks, I fixed the original post.
Justin
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Great but often forgotten knife. Maybe just not discussed frequently.

I like the hollow grind and would be sad to see it go. Almost everything is ffg these days, hollow has its advantages as well. With 2mm stock it still cuts like crazy.

I would love if they changed to screw construction though. I also like the idea above of different colors and/or some nice paper micarta scales too. I'd buy one of those even if it went ffg
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I've bonded with my Cento 3 after making some mods. I stippled the scales for better grip, tightened the pivot with some hammer blows, turned the primary grind into a flat and reprofiled the spine.
I think the Cento should just be left alone and eventually retired when sales fall enough. It's a classic but it's had its day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be absolutely ok with the Centofante 4 just like it is if it only had a screw pivot. I'll even be happy with VG10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Any Centofante 4 reissue would make me happy, and a screw-together CQI of either 3 or 4 would be great as well, more premium steel* would be icing on the cake!

*though I'd ask for CruWear or M390
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

A reissue of the Vesuvius would be #1 on my list, then the 3 >4 and please, EVERYTHING doesn't have to be FFG?! :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Centofante 3 has been on my wish list for a while now, just keeps getting bumped back. But I love the design, and I agree that it's nice to have a few non-ffg options - the Smock has been a reminder of that for me, as well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Slicy hollow grinds are things of beauty.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:59 pm
I'd be absolutely ok with the Centofante 4 just like it is if it only had a screw pivot. I'll even be happy with VG10.

Agreed. I think the design should be exactly the same as the original except with all the build improvements the newer FRN models have gotten, like the screw construction. Of course, I realize that means it would technically be an entirely new model as they'd have to make all new molds. As far as the blade, though, I like it fine the way it is.
Tim
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

timlara wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:32 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Agreed. I think the design should be exactly the same as the original except with all the build improvements the newer FRN models have gotten, like the screw construction. Of course, I realize that means it would technically be an entirely new model as they'd have to make all new molds. As far as the blade, though, I like it fine the way it is.
+1 K390 would be a bonus.
Justin
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I would love a combo of the Vesuvius with the Centofante 4- WHARNCLIFFE COMPRESSION LOCK!!! Keep the 2mm blade stock and the hollow grind, change to screw construction and wire clip!

It would be cool to have ivory FRN with an abalone inlay to keep it classy, and I would also like to see the above combination in a knife the size of the Chaparral! :cool:
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Just bought a Centofante 3 off BF for a screaming deal. I wish Sal would do a sprint run on this model or the 4 in K390

It is almost Endura/Delica family.
Justin
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Leave the grind alone! Screw pivot and maybe modernize the inlay
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

What about the wharncliffe centofante 4?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."