Is this a grip that you use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you use the index choil on your Spyderco with your thumb on the ramp?

Yes, it's my preferred grip.
55%
Yes, but I grip behind the choil more frequently.
21%
I do not use that grip, but sometimes use choils with other grips.
13%
I do not use that grip, or any variant of it.
11%

Total votes: 53

Sharp Guy

Re: Is this a grip that you use?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I didn't vote since I use whatever grip feels appropriate at the time and it depends on the knife I'm using. I almost always have my thumb on the thumb ramp or spine. Sometimes I use the choil and sometimes I don't.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I just realized after looking at the pictures in this thread that I've maybe been holding my knives funny this whole time. I almost always use the ramp and choil, but I push the back of the handle pretty firmly into my thenar eminence. So I end up with two or three fingers not even touching the front of the handle and the blade is canted slightly forward. It feels natural and comfortable for me.

Anyway, when trying to hold a knife like in the pictures, the the thumb ramp does feel pretty cramped.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 pm
Added to my post above: Here is how I hold a folder when not choking up:

I use a grip closer to that when I'm doing food prep on a cutting board.
As said, putting the thumb on the side of the blade is what I´ve done and do all the time.
One thing you mentioned got me thinking though: That by doing so your thumb can moe easily get in the way of stuff you´re cutting. That is absolutely true of course, but in MY experience just in theory.

I think when I am cutting stuff with the part of the blade very close to the handle, I always put my thumb like THIS (pic) so it does not really interfere with the material I am cutting

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:59 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 pm
May I ask: What is the "Filipino grip"?

Thumb extended and relaxed forward on the spine of the blade, ala Yojumbo 2.

Thanx! Did not know that
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Some of these grips remind me of the odd ways I see people holding a pen/pencil to write. :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Depends on the model! On most models, however, I definitely default to the first option, with other grips as needed.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I think all of us use that grip while cutting. The thing is, the grip changes while you are working, it is more like a movie and not a picture.
It's like asking if you walk in a certain way and put a picture of someone with a raised leg... you don't walk like that but you certainly walk with one foot at a time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am
I think all of us use that grip while cutting.
Must have missed the first post :) I don't.
:unicorn
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm
tonijedi wrote:
I didn't miss the post, what I'm saying is that you use all kinds of grips even if briefly. I've certainly grabbed a knife in both handle and blade in all possible ways.
vivi

Post by vivi »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:21 pm
Vivi wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
I didn't miss the post, what I'm saying is that you use all kinds of grips even if briefly. I've certainly grabbed a knife in both handle and blade in all possible ways.
I don't use that grip. Not sure why you don't believe me. I don't use pikal grip either.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:27 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Vivi wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
I don't use that grip. Not sure why you don't believe me. I don't use pikal grip either.
You're a liar, Vivi!!

Jk

I also don't use that grip, especially when cutting into something dense. I couldn't imagine cutting cardboard, whittling, or even cutting a plastic band like that. I generally use a hammer grip unless the knife doesn't have a ramp, in which case I might have my thumb on the back of the blade. Depends on how I'm cutting. I might also have the knife sideways in my hand in a pinch grip or I'll hold it near the tip.

This is why I kinda think a lot of knives aren't as ergonomic as some say they are. the knives are made for your hand to go into that position you pictured but using a knife like that sucks. You have less power in the cut, it seems, and my thumb gets tired because it presses into the jimping.

Btw, I have opposite hands than you're. They're pretty small.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:40 am
Vivi wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Vivi wrote:

I also don't use that grip, especially when cutting into something dense. I couldn't imagine cutting cardboard, whittling, or even cutting a plastic band like that. I generally use a hammer grip unless the knife doesn't have a ramp, in which case I might have my thumb on the back of the blade. Depends on how I'm cutting. I might also have the knife sideways in my hand in a pinch grip or I'll hold it near the tip.

This is why I kinda think a lot of knives aren't as ergonomic as some say they are. the knives are made for your hand to go into that position you pictured but using a knife like that sucks. You have less power in the cut, it seems, and my thumb gets tired because it presses into the jimping.

I am courios: Do you and others really never use a grip with the thumb in the SIDE of the blade, like I do all the time (just scroll a bit up to see pics on this)??? Do you really prefer a true hammer grip over this? For me that "thumb on the side of the blade"-style feels so natural, and I can control the knife better as if I would put the thumb on spine, ramp, or hammergrip-like. It is also more stable, while with thumb on the spine or ramp the knife can "roll" a bit more easily in your hand than when stabilized by the thumb on the side.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:41 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:40 am
Vivi wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

I am courios: Do you and others really never use a grip with the thumb in the SIDE of the blade, like I do all the time (just scroll a bit up to see pics on this)??? Do you really prefer a true hammer grip over this? For me that "thumb on the side of the blade"-style feels so natural, and I can control the knife better as if I would put the thumb on spine, ramp, or hammergrip-like. It is also more stable, while with thumb on the spine or ramp the knife can "roll" a bit more easily in your hand than when stabilized by the thumb on the side.
I never have issues with knives rolling in my grip.

When I put my thumb on the side kind of like you, my grip is a bit further back, and I never choke up to where two fingers are in the first large finger groove. I mainly use this grip for food prep, otherwise I tend to stick to a straight hammer grip, or thumb on the ramp like I show in picture #3 of the first post.

That's my version of your grip.

This is one reason I don't like knives with handles just barely large enough for a full hammer grip. I like an extra 1/2" of handle or so, otherwise I may not have a good spot on the handle for my thumb in this pinch grip. On a chef knife my hand chokes up on to the blade more, but on a small folder that reduces the amount of edge that can be utilized on a cutting board.

This is one of my more common grips, the hammer grip:

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

When I use the choil on larger knives it's usually like this

Sometimes like this

And my preferred grip is like Vivi's

I even use this grip on rare occasions
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Does anybody find the thickness of the blade stock (mainly at the hump/spydiehole area) affects one's grip? Because for me, it almost feels as if thinner blades "roll" under my thumb more readily than do thicker stock blades, especially if I grip directly on the hump or forward of it.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Unless I need as much range/extension as I can get or I need the entire blade to clear the cutting path, I almost always use the "Filipino grip" with most unsupported cutting motions (i.e., when not cutting against a flat surface such as in food prep), regardless of whether or not there is a thumb ramp or choil
"Filipino grip" with Yojimbo 2
"Filipino grip" with Yojimbo 2
"Filipino grip" with Delica 4
"Filipino grip" with Delica 4
"Filipino grip" with Karahawk
"Filipino grip" with Karahawk
"Filipino grip" (using choil) with Native 5 Salt
"Filipino grip" (using choil) with Native 5 Salt
Last edited by zuludelta on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am
Does anybody find the thickness of the blade stock (mainly at the hump/spydiehole area) affects one's grip? Because for me, it almost feels as if thinner blades "roll" under my thumb more readily than do thicker stock blades, especially if I grip directly on the hump or forward of it.
I've had this experience with the Chaparral, which is a small knife that has very thin blade stock & a very thin handle profile.

Funnily enough, I don't have the same experience with the even smaller Dragonfly 2—which has a similarly thin blade stock—probably because its smaller size allows me to use the knife as basically a sharpened underside extension of my thumb when gripped in the "Filipino grip". Held this way, the Dragonfly really melts into my hand & I have unparalleled control over it & awareness of its tip & edge orientation.
"Filipino grip" with Dragonfly 2
"Filipino grip" with Dragonfly 2
Last edited by zuludelta on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

zuludelta wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am
I've had this experience with the Chaparral, which is a small knife that has very thin blade stock & a very thin handle profile. Funnily enough, I don't have the same experience with the even smaller Dragonfly 2, which has a similarly thin blade stock, probably because its smaller size allows me to use the knife as basically a sharpened underside extension of my thumb when gripped in the "Filipino grip".
Ohh yeah I see what you mean, I felt the same about my old Jester (which was specifically designed to be gripped like you grip your Dragonfly), and boy oh boy, for a small knife that thing was so incredibly useful.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

This is how I typically grip my knives when using them except maybe the last one...I usually hammer grip when I cut with the edge facing up.

This is an interesting discussion. It's enlightening to see the different way everyone grips their knives.
VashHash wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:16 am
When I use the choil on larger knives it's usually like this

Sometimes like this

And my preferred grip is like Vivi's

I even use this grip on rare occasions