Does Spyderco Loctite their pivot screws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
normal

Does Spyderco Loctite their pivot screws?

Post by normal »

I just got a new Spydiechef and was not a fan of the new black hardware so I got some blue titanium replacement screws. Well, the pivot screw will not loosen. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how do I get it loose?
VooDooChild

Re: Does Spyderco Loctite their pivot screws?

Post by VooDooChild »

Pretty sure tha answer is sometimes but on the chef and many others the answer is yes. Watch some disassembly videos online. Might have to take a hair dryer to it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am) wasn't there a change from red to blue on some models, like PM2/Para3 etc...? Within the past two years?

Also sometimes pivot screws are kinda tricky; sometimes one has to hold the other sides screw in place whilst one removes the first screw all the way (if that makes any sense).
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

If you can't get the screw loose no matter what you try, or you're just worried about damaging it, you can send it into spyderco repair. They will do it for free, but you do have to pay for shipping both ways.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

It's also important to remember that the female side of the pivot pin is a "D" pin, which means it has a flat side machined on it (instead of a circle, its cross section looks like a capital letter "D"). It fits into a corresponding D-shaped hole in the reverse-side handle scale. Although the female side of pivot has a Torx head to provide a symmetrical look to the knife, it will not turn. If you succeed in turning it, you will have succeeded in destroying the D-shaped hole in the reverse-side scale.

The actual screw for the pivot is on the obverse side of the knife. This is the "show" side, as typically shown in photos of knives--edge down, point to the left.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have a PM2 at Spyderco warranty and repair right now for screws that wouldn't budge, that I stripped just trying to flip the clip. The clip is supposed to be reversible but it is still costing me $25 for Spyderco to 'fix' it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I just had to use a rather extreme amount of force to free the pivot screw from my new K390 PM2. Inside it looked like a healthy amount of BLUE loctite. I've taken apart more PM2s then I can count and this was the most difficult to date. The clip screws were less challenging.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

jdw wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am
I have a PM2 at Spyderco warranty and repair right now for screws that wouldn't budge, that I stripped just trying to flip the clip. The clip is supposed to be reversible but it is still costing me $25 for Spyderco to 'fix' it.
They charged you? I don't think I've ever been charged by them for work
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sok

Post by sok »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:12 am
I just had to use a rather extreme amount of force to free the pivot screw from my new K390 PM2. Inside it looked like a healthy amount of BLUE loctite. I've taken apart more PM2s then I can count and this was the most difficult to date. The clip screws were less challenging.
Same here.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

jdw wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am
If you sent a check, they usually send the check back with the knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
normal

Post by normal »

Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. I will try again tomorrow and see what I can do with my newfound knowledge. I have a dozen Spydercos and have never run into this before, but this is my first Taichung model.