The Serrata - tell me about it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: The Serrata - tell me about it

Post by archangel »

I really appreciate your efforts. Take your time. It's no life or death question.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Serrata is my favorite Spyderco fixed blade. Fits my hand like a glove, ideal size for general purpose outdoorsy stuff for me, nice sharp point and lots of belly... it's just a joy to use. It's definitely one of the more underappreciated knives in the lineup (And I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been discontinued seeing as how knives that seemed to get a lot more love and attention have gone that way since it came out).

That said, give me a version with a tool steel (Doesn't have to be anything sexy) and canvas micarta scales and I will love you long time.
David R

Post by David R »

Agree on the handle. Been doing some rope cut testing. The Spyderco and the custom Serrata are two knives I can use for a long time with no fatigue. Not many other fixed blades are as comfortable for me.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have already decided that I'll acquire one, just not immediately. Good size, thick blade stock capable of many tasks, well chosen steel, contoured handles, totally screams my name. :) I'll love this one for sure.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well, Serrata is incoming, which is of course good. Not good is that I was charged almost $29 for shipping to Germany by MyUS. :eek: Is the Serrata that big that it can't be shipped at lowest rate?

I own three other fixed blade Spydies, a Bushcraft, a Junction, and a Mule. IIRC none of them had shipping costs 2-3 times higher than any folder. Feels like I've been ripped off a little... :( Thing is that it's now >150€ equivalent, which means I'll not only have to pay tax but also customs duties... :mad:
Last edited by archangel on Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 pm
I did, but lost most of them when my image hoster got a little silly with payments...

I do have the image, but in amongst a lot of stuff...

I'd still love to see the microscope pics. Stuart...? :eek: :)
Michael
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

No joy to date regarding the pics.
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's here. It's SO gorgeous! It's screaming my name!! Totally my thing!!

I want a second one, for my other hand!! ;)
Michael
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its on my list. The handle looks very comfortable.
I have to ask what is its purpose, or what is general outdoor use?

Its not a choppper, not a slicer, not a skinner, I wouldnt filet with it, and while Im sure it can do food prep I dont think it will beat a kitchen knife. There are other thick stock fixed blades out there in tougher steels.

Dont get me wrong, I do like it. Im just looking for a reason to justify getting it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
David R

Post by David R »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:41 pm
Its on my list. The handle looks very comfortable.
I have to ask what is its purpose, or what is general outdoor use?

Its not a choppper, not a slicer, not a skinner, I wouldnt filet with it, and while Im sure it can do food prep I dont think it will beat a kitchen knife. There are other thick stock fixed blades out there in tougher steels.

Dont get me wrong, I do like it. Im just looking for a reason to justify getting it.
Didn't see an answer to this one so I'll try. The cast steel excels at cutting fibrous material: rope, wood, plants, etc. I use mine when clearing out some overgrowth near my yard. It also excels at cutting forever - the micro-serrations from the cast structure (dedritic) keep cutting for a very long time. I also tested it disassembling some chickens. It cuts meat incredibly well. I did not cut bone with it and would not recommend it. It went through some joint cartilage without me even knowing I had hit it.

I use (and likely abuse) mine outside. I cut whatever needs to be cut with it. I've drilled holes with the tip. I have batonned with it, although it's not the recommend use for this steel. It seems tough enough.

Pros:
  • Great design. Excellent general purpose blade shape. Good handle. Spyderco did a nice job with the contoured handle
  • Edge cuts longer than most other steels
  • Easy to sharpen - from dullish to screaming sharp with 5 passes per side on a 400 grit stone. This is probably the highest edge retention to sharpening time ratio steel we're going to see.
Cons (these are bad assumptions rather than actual issues):
  • 440C. It's cast 440C. Same ingredients. Different structure of the steel. The difference is not subtle.
  • Too thick. It's not a slicer, although it's well tapered and cuts well.
I think most people are turned away by the steel name. This is one of the under-rated Spyderos, imo. I think you have to use it appreciate how it works and what it does. It doesn't feel like serrated blade, but on some material it cuts like one. It works better with a toothy edge. I sharpen at 400 and call it done (got this advice from Stuart Ackerman).

I'm considering a 2nd one to keep in the kitchen just for butchering. I would probably put a 14 DPS edge on this for kitchen use and maybe convex so there was no bevel shoulder. I believe that would fly through meat. I keep my outdoor one at 17 DPS and haven't had any edge damage so far.
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

I keep mine in my kitchen knife block. I love using it while breaking down whole chickens. My dad gives me mini-turkeys (giant broilers) hand raised by various people that he trades goods and services. This works great for it. Growing up, we raised lots of broilers and if I had a knife like this one back then, I would never have let any of my siblings use it when butchering day came along.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:28 pm
I'll be honest I'm a little bitter that this name wasn't used for something serrated ;)

Otherwise I don't have one but I really like the design. I don't use fixed blades much but if I were in the market for one it would be in the running for sure.
You read my mind.