Spydiechef or Advocate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rothnroll

Spydiechef or Advocate

Post by rothnroll »

Greetings, I can only buy one of these. I have the Gayle Bradley 2 with M4, and I like it. I'm trying to pick between the spydiechef and the Gayle Bradley advocate. Any suggestions? Michelle Bradley Advocate is on sale at 1 49 at Blade HQ.
JuPaul

Re: Spydiechef or Advocate

Post by JuPaul »

Both awesome knives, but if I was you I'd buy the Advocate now. It's been discontinued, so you can get a great deal on it now, but soon you won't be able to get one at all. The spydiechef isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so you can save up and buy it later.

Just make sure you get the newer CQI'd version of the Advocate - you can ask the dealer if that's the model they have in stock before you buy.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I can only speak for myself of course, so between those two I would choose the Spydiechef. That’s a great deal on the Advocate and I still passed on it. I love both versions of the Bradley folder, however.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm sure they're both great models and it really comes down to personal preference. I have no real interest in the Spydiechef and I really like my Advocate. So I would say go with the Advocate. Especially considering it's on sale. Somebody else will probably say go with the Spydiechef. So it comes down to which one you want more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sok

Post by sok »

I vote Advocate. I don't know much about the Spydiechef though. I bought an Advocate last week and was so smitten by it that I bought another. I recieved one yesterday from DLT and it was the CQI version. It was thirty bucks more than the first gen offered by BHQ.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Advocate. I love everything about the Chef except the positive blade angle. I know that's kind of the point but I couldn't use it for much more than food prep.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rothnroll

Post by rothnroll »

Thanks I thought Blade HQ have the second version? That's what I read another forum
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

rothnroll wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:53 pm
Thanks I thought Blade HQ have the second version? That's what I read another forum
Best to email or call them if it doesn't say in the online description.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sok

Post by sok »

rothnroll wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:53 pm
I don't have first hand knowledge that BHQ only has the first gen but sovereign called them today.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84925&start=140#p1365088
I ordered both of mine not knowing what I would get. I think it is a roll of the dice. Lots of first gen owners that love theirs and have not had any issues.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

No issues with my first gen Advocate. Mines currently in pieces because I sent the scales off to get bead blasted. Should be a totally different and awesome knife when I get it back :)
Josh
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Spydiechef will slice better as it seems to be ground leaner. The Advocate's action will disappoint. Spydiechef has an easier to maintain steel. Advocate has a better performing steel. Both are thin, both are well made. Advocate has a better finish overall. Spydiechef ages in a more interesting way. Advocate has a more well rounded blade shape.

I have both. Ehhh I think I like the Spydiechef more.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Depends on your needs. The Spydiechef is a great food prep knife and a bit less useful for edc. The advocate is the other way around. I would not buy a knife for the fear of missing out. Instead buy what you need or like to have.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Purely subjective opinion: The Advocate is on the way out, and i like it better than the chef (have no use whatsoever for a folder in the kitchen and don't do any food prep elsewhere) besides, the chef has that Sinkewich design look i really can't get my head around. It's a bit love/hate though. I'd like to have all Slysz folders.. I feel it was a visual mistake to change to black screws though.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Grab an Advocate now while they're on sale. Get a Spydiechef later. The Advocate's amazing, a real gem. I love mine.

I don't have a Spydiechef, but hey, it's titanium handles with a rust proof steel blade, designed by Martin Slysz, produced in Taichung - and CQIed. Zero risk for a fail. I don't yet have any LC200N spydie. It's a tie between the Spydiechef and the Autonomy 2 for me, can't decide which and don't have the funds right now. If money would not be an issue, I'd get the Spydiechef, plus sell my Pacific Salt & replace it with an Autonomy 1. :rolleyes: That would be heaven. But costly.

Back to the topic. Grab an Advocate now while they're on sale. Get a Spydiechef later. ;)
Last edited by archangel on Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:43 pm
The Advocate's action will disappoint.

I have to disagree. Very much. Yours must be a pre-CQI version.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would get the Advocate. Aside from being a great deal, it's also a fantastic knife.

I didn't care for the Spydiechef, the Caribbean is way better.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

archangel wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:51 am
knivesandbooks wrote:

It's not a black or white case/answer.. Even a perfect Advocate will "disappoint" if you're coming from a brand that produce flippers almost exclusively (or a Buck Marksman, IMO the best flipper ever to fly clean under the radar)
The Advocat is (mine anyway) not bad by any standard though!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
archangel

Post by archangel »

You may be right Larry. I don't own any remarkable non-Spydies, so I can't relate. All I can say is that I'm very satisfied with the action of my Advocate.
Michael
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm in the same boat as Michael. The only flippers I own are Spydercos and they both work flawlessly.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

archangel wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:51 am
knivesandbooks wrote:

Nope, mine is post CQI. Spyderco can't do flippers like the companies the specialize in them. My opinion on this is not a minority one either. The detent is too soft for an authoritative flip. Works fine for flicking open though.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!