Newbie with knife steel question...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cambertree

Re: Newbie with knife steel question...

Post by Cambertree »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:09 am
Cambertree, the NEXT suggestion I just have to second... ;) Got one myself just two days ago, don´t regret it AT ALL.
LOL! :D :cool: ;)
Somehow, I'm wondering whether our friend the OP is going to be thanking us a month or two from now! :D :rolleyes: :)

These knives should have a warning on them: "Spyderbites may result in addiction'! :rolleyes: :D :spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

For construction, I use a s110v pm2 or manix. They are both good with gloves. They can cut lots of stuff for a long time. Last summer I was cutting fiberglass batts and even widening a hole in the hardi siding. I would not twist with this stuff though. Get a dedicated pry tool. These are made to cut, not to pry. My dad used one of mine to pry some staples out of the building paper and chipped the edge badly in many places. Serrated H1 steel might be able to take some prying as it’s very tough, but it won’t stay sharp like s1110v. And it will give you a slightly different quality to your cuts. A serrated pacific salt might be a good construction tool too.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

constructor wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:39 am
Hello Im fairly new and a little overwhelmed to my research on knife specs and steel info so I thought Id just ask a few questions for finding me the best EDC/working knife. For simplicity sake and general understanding Ill just say that my job is basically a general contractor in a very humid environment. Im am wanting a Para2 but am not sure of what steel would be best for me. Everytime I find a thread that says this or that about a steel I find another that seems to contradict some of the info. So what Im looking for is a steel that can cut various objects with minimal honing. Possibly get the blade in a little bind, (side pressure) but come out unscathed. Less prone to rusting then D2, and would likely handle food prep at lunch with minimal clean up. Right now Ive got several knifes that just float around and are just a pain to keep up with. So I was thinking of a good all around general contractor themed Para2. I was pretty interested in the LC200N but I dont see it in a para2 and not sure if other steels would not be better especially if they had a coated blade, like the 4v, s35n, cruwear, maxamet, etc?
You may have to carry 2 knives. You don't want much side pressure going to that pm2. Spyderco knives are certainly tough, but above all else they are superior cutting tools that much be taken care of. The tip of the pm2 can easily snap off as well. I always had a byrd rescue 2 that could handle all the dirty work. It's also the knife I'd hand people if they had to borrow one. I kept my pm2's and military's safe and used them for any and all cutting tasks where edge damage wasn't an issue.

If you're not dead set on a pm2, the Shaman is much beefier, has WAY better ergonomics, and the same lock. It can handle a bit more abuse.

And as far as steel, I think you'd like CPM Cruwear. But it will rust if not maintained.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

What about a sheepsfoot Caribbean? Strong tip, totally corrosion resistant, great size and design.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Ez556 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 am
What about a sheepsfoot Caribbean? Strong tip, totally corrosion resistant, great size and design.
Good suggestion.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?