Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:27 am
sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 pm
Hi Hank,

FYI,

I'm working on a new design based on a modified Shaman pattern so I pulled out all of the original drawings. The first drawing of the Shaman was dated December 17, 2014. That can give you an idea of how long I work on some of these creations.

sal
I personally may hope it will be some kind of backlock-Shaman....?!

And maybe the second step towards making the "Native family" the line that offers EACH "familiy member" in both a comp lock and backlock version (like it is already the case with the Lil Native)? So Lil Native, Native, Shaman, Chief?
I still think, this would be a good idea, since these seem to be by far the two most popular Spyderco locktypes (I think the chance that one does NOT like both comp. lock and backlock are very small) and the Native familay a very popular "line".

Even did a poll about this very topic some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84760

This would be a good one to release in a non-S30V production steel. The market clearly wants some easily available knives in Cruwear/4V/3V. Why not go straight to Cruwear Micarta for this new model? If people start making a fuss about wanting a black S30V version then make that a sprint and see if it is as hard to get as the Cru-carta Shaman?? ;)

A Shaman Backlock would be pretty cool. I prefer the backlock to the comp lock, so this sounds pretty sweet.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:27 am
sal wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 pm
Hi Hank,

FYI,

I'm working on a new design based on a modified Shaman pattern so I pulled out all of the original drawings. The first drawing of the Shaman was dated December 17, 2014. That can give you an idea of how long I work on some of these creations.

sal
I personally may hope it will be some kind of backlock-Shaman....?!

And maybe the second step towards making the "Native family" the line that offers EACH "familiy member" in both a comp lock and backlock version (like it is already the case with the Lil Native)? So Lil Native, Native, Shaman, Chief?
I still think, this would be a good idea, since these seem to be by far the two most popular Spyderco locktypes (I think the chance that one does NOT like both comp. lock and backlock are very small) and the Native familay a very popular "line".

Even did a poll about this very topic some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84760
Before i saw these comments i wrote a similar one in Sal's Casual Bombshells-- and of course, Wartstein, thought of you in regards to a backlock Shaman. I would love one too.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

I like the idea of a family suite of comp and back locks. I own both versions on the lil native. Can't wait to see the native # in a comp lock and native chief comp lock.

Anyways, back to the topic of cruwear micarta shaman. I got one coming next week. Thanks for posting the pics.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd honestly rather have them with CBBL than comp lock, but I think that's technically difficult for something as small as the Lil Native (and maybe the Native itself). I'd love to see a Shaman back lock though. The comp lock isn't my favorite, so there are lots of knives that I like _despite_ (rather than because of) the comp lock.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Shaman with a push button comp lock like the Smock would be awesome. And with the large figer choil, it seems like it could be done without altering the blade shape.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Cru-wear Shaman inbound! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Yes, I hope Spyderco updates most compression lock knives to have push button. PM2 and Shaman would be great with the smock style push button.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:18 pm
Cru-wear Shaman inbound! :)
Got my shipping notice today.

Having struck out with OpFocus and MAP opportunities, I went to BBS for MSRP+. Happily, I might add. I wanted this particular knife.

I think the model is simply superb and I needed a second Cruwear blade in a different model (have it in a Manix2) to sort out what I think of the steel.

I’m so glad Sal now sees there is real demand for this model, and in yet more steels in greater volumes.
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hamilton,

I'm mostly a Broncos fan, when time allows.

To try to fit a lock-back into the Shaman pattern would be challenging without making many mods. there isn't enough room for the big blade and a back-lock.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Leader2light wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm
Yes, I hope Spyderco updates most compression lock knives to have push button. PM2 and Shaman would be great with the smock style push button.

Yep. And why stop there? Para3, lil native...seems like any comp lock with a finger choil cut out could work, right?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:25 pm
Leader2light wrote:

Yep. And why stop there? Para3, lil native...seems like any comp lock with a finger choil cut out could work, right?
I don´t know much about the push button comp. lock (and frankly: Personally I am not interested in that kind of lock), but looking at the smock I could imagine that the "cutout" of the PM2 choil is not wide and especially DEEP enough for that kind of mechanism?
Maybe a topic for a dedicated thread though and not for the "Shaman Cru-Wear" - thread...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

This thread derailed a long time ago (and i don't exclude myself as guilty)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:08 pm

To try to fit a lock-back into the Shaman pattern would be challenging without making many mods. there isn't enough room for the big blade and a back-lock.

sal
Thanks for the response RE backlock Shaman. Makes sense when I look more closely at mine. While I do generally prefer backlocks, I do enjoy the comp lock on the Shaman. I really like the strong detent. I think it is my only detent-based knife that I can't shake open.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. It looks like BBS sold out of these too--at $320+shipping.
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

Back to the point of this thread...Is bladeHQ the last folks to have any to release?

What is to stop them from just raising the price like bento box? These are already going for $400 on eBay.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:34 pm
Saw that too. Incredible.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:52 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:34 pm
Saw that too. Incredible.
Tho I wonder if they may be getting another shipment, like DLT and maybe others. The BBS site says "temporarily out of stock."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Leader2light wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:37 pm
What is to stop them from just raising the price like bento box? These are already going for $400 on eBay.
Nothing. They can decide what they want to charge, just like all the other retailers. With these super fast sell outs, it might make financial sense to hold them for a day or two and then put them up at a premium price. Or it might not. That's up to their business strategy.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Leader2light wrote:
Hard no.

Nothing against the smock, but part of the genius of the comp lock is no matter how hard you grip it, the web of your hand is prevented from exerting lock-loosening pressure. This includes when you choke up to the choil and completely cover the lock cutout.

Knives that have their lock mechanism on the side of the knife near the pivot are vulnerable to accidental lock movement, as the mechanism on the side is right underneath your knuckle joint. My speculation is that designers have to either A. Not have choils to discourage choking up (axis lock knives) or B. have the lock mechanism low profile enough that your knuckle joint can't affect it (CBBL knives).

My main problem with button locks is that unless the button is actually recessed, gripping the knife hard when choked up leads to partial lock disengagement.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:41 pm
Knives that have their lock mechanism on the side of the knife near the pivot are vulnerable to accidental lock movement, as the mechanism on the side is right underneath your knuckle joint. My speculation is that designers have to either A. Not have choils to discourage choking up (axis lock knives) or B. have the lock mechanism low profile enough that your knuckle joint can't affect it (CBBL knives).
Option C would be having a lock that locks harder with pressure (like a RIL). Another option would be a lock that has a secondary locking mechanism to prevent it from opening (like Lionsteel's Rotoblock).

Your point is totally valid for the Smock style button though. And I can definitely see a button creating a problem on a hard use folder like a Shaman, where I can easily see myself bearing down hard during some uses.