Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Although i respect everyone's opinion in the matter it's still a**holery of the highest order to order 6-8 knives using strawman accounts to bypass the limited number/buyer and flip them before even receiving them (yes i have seen this happen many times, fortunatley a lot of them has been the black/red combos i wouldn't buy with monopoly money because they have zero attraction to me, but the whole thing annoys me.
Of course it happens from time to time that i buy catch and release knives, but at least i get them in hand first (and it's ONE, not eight identical)
Just for the sake of argument, you capitalism lovers/defenders out there - I'd love to hear your reaction if i became a billionaire and bought up all gas in the town you live and added 100% to the price, after all it's a free market ain't it? :) I bet i would be beaten to death if caught in public..
And DirtMcGirt: I hear what you're saying, but that's really splitting hairs. Name one single item that is sold for the price of the sum of the parts, be they domestic or imported. I know for a fact after 10 years as a truck driver that Scania trucks have parts from 5-8 countries. Would i expect to pay less because it is not purely made in Sweden? Of course not, thats ludicrous! (no offense)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I didn't realize this forum was so soft on flippers. :rolleyes: Or is it that maybe some of the folks above ARE the flippers, so they feel they have to defend the practice? :rolleyes: Please, gimme a break. :rolleyes:

I don't care how you do the math, it's not real hard. :rolleyes: I wouldn't necessarily call a sales price $20-$30 over retail gouging and flipping. That's only ~10% difference in the case of this particular knife. It's when we see people selling multiple copies, for 50% or more over retail, that I think it's total BS. :mad: That IS gouging, that IS flipping, that is NOT capitalism. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know you people are smarter than this, so let's just drop the shenanigans, mmmkay. :rolleyes: One thing this does do, is it makes it quite apparent where some folks' moral compass points. :rolleyes:

Final thought; if you think you deserve to be PAID for your time to list/pack/ship a knife, you just might be a dealer... ;) :rolleyes:

Enough?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Alright, real talk time: who here is planning on using this knife as an honest to God user? I REALLY want one of these as a work knife, but between all the collectors and flippers out there, I feel like I'm a tiny minority.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Hogue Ritter in M390, but I hate the disassembly part of it whenever it gets really dirty, plus I'm a bit fearful (maybe wrongfully) that one of those springs might give up on me someday. I've been going back and forth between getting the Shaman or the Cold Steel AD-10, but my morbid curiosity to experience Cru-Wear, the brain dead easiness of disassembly and the fact that I've never held micarta in my hands makes this sprint the fabled white whale that I've been always looking for.

Also, I am going slightly insane by the fact that I have what I now call the Cru-Wear curse, meaning that something always gets in my way when I try to buy a Spyderco model in that steel variant, which started when the Para 3 got released. Be it small production numbers, lack of money or just plain bad luck, I simply can't seem to get any Cru-Wear in my life.

And before you recommend the basic S30V model, I'm not a huge fan of it from my experiences with that steel, and if I'm going to spend that silly (for me) amount of money on a knife, might as well try getting what I'm really chasing after instead of settling for something else.

In short, Sal, please keep that Cru-Wear coming, if only for the sake of my sanity. Micarta, G10, it's all good, as long as it's grippy (maybe not FRN though, I prefer something heavier for work), I just want this ridiculous curse broken already. Knife looks pretty nice by the way, so congratulations on that! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 am
Alright, real talk time: who here is planning on using this knife as an honest to God user? I REALLY want one of these as a work knife, but between all the collectors and flippers out there, I feel like I'm a tiny minority.

I plan on batoning my whole house in half with mine.

No really though this will absolutely be a user for me, it will get scratched up and a patina and it will get used hard. If mine ever does get sold, the next guy will have to live with whatever I put it through first.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 am
And DirtMcGirt: I hear what you're saying, but that's really splitting hairs. Name one single item that is sold for the price of the sum of the parts, be they domestic or imported. I know for a fact after 10 years as a truck driver that Scania trucks have parts from 5-8 countries. Would i expect to pay less because it is not purely made in Sweden? Of course not, thats ludicrous! (no offense)
None taken. I know Spyderco isn’t a flipper. And I didn’t mean to imply country of origin should have a role. Just that they buy knives from other makers to sell. But they also make their own knifes to sell. It wouldn’t be fair to say they could only make profit on the ones they make.

I’m not sure I understand the sum of the parts. I can’t think of anything. Maybe an old vehicle I could “part out” for more money than if I sold the whole thing as is. That isn’t really what you mean though is it?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:05 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:04 am
None taken. I know Spyderco isn’t a flipper. And I didn’t mean to imply country of origin should have a role. Just that they buy knives from other makers to sell. But they also make their own knifes to sell. It wouldn’t be fair to say they could only make profit on the ones they make.

I’m not sure I understand the sum of the parts. I can’t think of anything. Maybe an old vehicle I could “part out” for more money than if I sold the whole thing as is. That isn’t really what you mean though is it?
No, i was thinking more like (never mind the numbers, the're just to illustrate the point)
Blade $10
liners and hardware $6
scales $6
box $o.50
That would make $22,50 which no sane person would sell it for even though that was the actual cost/sum of the parts :)
EDIT: Also, to my knowledge Spyderco doesn't buy other makers knives, unless you count other makers/factories building Spyderco knives for Spyderco.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
jdw

Post by jdw »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 pm
Y'all new to sprint runs or what?
I likely was buying Spydies before you were born, so no, I am not new to sprint runs. I am new to the lack of availability of a legitimate source to buy a knife a week after the company issues a statement that they have shipped.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:29 pm
So is the one on eBay for $559.99 over or under that gouge line?? :p If some wealthy Nigerian Prince wants to pay that much maybe I'll throw mine up for $559.98 and use the proceeds to buy 2 at retail and a few cases of beer.
Hahahahaha. Exactly.

Cruwear aside, I'm hoping micarta is well received by the community and it is considered for future runs and some production models.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

jdw wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I likely was buying Spydies before you were born, so no, I am not new to sprint runs. I am new to the lack of availability of a legitimate source to buy a knife a week after the company issues a statement that they have shipped.
That would be easy to find out. She's more than likely born in 88. ;)
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
jdw

Post by jdw »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:55 am
jdw wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Kinda my guess too. ;)
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This will be my first experience with Cruwear.
Depending on how I like the blade, I may end up trading it for an M4 blade. I sure do like the Micarta though!

We will know soon enough!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:17 am
This will be my first experience with Cruwear.
Depending on how I like the blade, I may end up trading it for an M4 blade. I sure do like the Micarta though!

We will know soon enough!
You'll love it. It's practically stainless in arid environments yet behaves similarly to a mild carbon steel. Takes a fine edge with utmost ease, but at ~61-62 HRC it can hold a coarse edge decently as well. In salty humid environments it will certainly rust though.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Pelagic wrote:
jdw wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Nope ;)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 am

No, i was thinking more like (never mind the numbers, the're just to illustrate the point)
Blade $10
liners and hardware $6
scales $6
box $o.50
That would make $22,50 which no sane person would sell it for even though that was the actual cost/sum of the parts :)
EDIT: Also, to my knowledge Spyderco doesn't buy other makers knives, unless you count other makers/factories building Spyderco knives for Spyderco.
Ok. I get it when you put it like that. You’re right.
And yes, referring to the other factories making Spydercos.

But then, just for discussion sake only, wouldn’t flippers be a part of the whole? Whole being the “knife community”. Other parts being users, collectors, modders, testers, reviewers, aftermarket part suppliers, dealers, distributors, custom makers, online forums, manufacturers, the knifes themselves, and so on. The community is greater than any of these individual parts. The parts themselves aren’t worth as much without each other. Add them all together and we get this community that is teaching, learning, growing, buying, and selling. Trading knives and stories. Anecdotes and compendiums. How much could distributors sell if dealers weren’t there? How much could dealers sell without customers? How far would one go down the spydie hole without the online forums? the reviewers? the testers? And how big could a newcomer to the knife world grow their collection without a few flippers out there sitting on high priced older sprints and discontinued knifes? The high priced gougers are the only ones that have them. The non gougers sold theirs already. Most likely to another collector or user who isn’t letting it go. So when a gouger sells this shaman for 4 or 500 bucks, I can pretty much guarantee that it went to someone who is extremely happy to have it. And isn’t that what this is all about? Being happy? I know I’m gonna have to pay up for the cf s90v shaman when my time comes to buy it. But I’m going to be so very happy when I have it my hand. Gouged and all.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 am
Pelagic wrote:
jdw wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Nope ;)
Gotta be Irvin :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:01 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 am
Pelagic wrote:
jdw wrote:

Nope ;)
Gotta be Irvin :spyder:
Yep :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mb1

Post by mb1 »

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:56 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:11 am

Blade $10
liners and hardware $6
scales $6
box $o.50
Ok. I get it when you put it like that. You’re right.
And yes, referring to the other factories making Spydercos.

But then, just for discussion sake only, wouldn’t flippers be a part of the whole? Whole being the “knife community”. Other parts being users, collectors, modders, testers, reviewers, aftermarket part suppliers, dealers, distributors, custom makers, online forums, manufacturers, the knifes themselves, and so on. The community is greater than any of these individual parts. The parts themselves aren’t worth as much without each other. Add them all together and we get this community that is teaching, learning, growing, buying, and selling. Trading knives and stories. Anecdotes and compendiums. How much could distributors sell if dealers weren’t there? How much could dealers sell without customers? How far would one go down the spydie hole without the online forums? the reviewers? the testers? And how big could a newcomer to the knife world grow their collection without a few flippers out there sitting on high priced older sprints and discontinued knifes? The high priced gougers are the only ones that have them. The non gougers sold theirs already. Most likely to another collector or user who isn’t letting it go. So when a gouger sells this shaman for 4 or 500 bucks, I can pretty much guarantee that it went to someone who is extremely happy to have it. And isn’t that what this is all about? Being happy? I know I’m gonna have to pay up for the cf s90v shaman when my time comes to buy it. But I’m going to be so very happy when I have it my hand. Gouged and all.
My short version answer is No - flippers who buy quantities of sought after knives for the sole purpose of profit could all die overnight without the hobby/community would miss them at all.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 am

It's folks like you that I'm trying to get one for! I said earlier I have a lot of computer time at work, and hope to be able to help someone out that doesn't have the opportunity. I'd sell at $208 and only charge for shipping if I manage to get one. I'll keep you in mind if I manage to snag one! I just got the St Nicks in 4V last month and am more than happy with it. I don't have a need for another.

Sadly, I think a lot won't really be using this knife because of the rarity of it...which is a real shame. I know not everyone works in an environment or has hobbies that require hard use for a user knife. I've seen quite a few exclusives and sprints threads here get all hyped up and tons of people getting excited they got one, but then never hear from them again about how they like the knife, how the steel cuts/sharpens/holds an edge etc. I get a bit frustrated when this happens, especially when it's a new model or new steel because...how are we supposed to learn if it just sits in a box or is used to cut open mail or an apple??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If i get one, I'll definitely use it. It's gonna kick my s30v g10 version out of my pocket as primary carry.

As someone who lives close to salt water, cruwear resists rust and corrosive sweat better than some stainless steels in my experience. I'm very excited!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!