Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Slash »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:59 am
I had been watching the bay and noticed a small surge in available pieces as the blade hq release was unfolding (and with others as well). Got me to wondering how many units get snatched up by retail staff in the market delivery process??? I suspect a number of them do ...

CG
All them told their family members and friends, who told another family member and friend, etc...
Before you know it they're all trying to get rich quick paying fees to ebay, paypal and usps. Ohh and don't forget irs now that Ebay collecting for the only legal mafia extortionists.
Then spyderco says we'll show them and make more. Probably gonna be same fiasco all over again with the next run?
jacala

Post by jacala »

Maybe each of these future sprint run releases should be numbered eg "Spyderco Bla Bla Sprint Run Release Fiasco No.2" etc.???
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not to sound corny, but sitting here at work this morning I'm feeling very grateful/lucky/fortunate to have these two. Big shout out to Attila for making this Cruwear model a possibility! What a great community we have here, I owe you brother! :D

Resized_20191116_093950.jpeg
Resized_20191116_094116.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

jacala wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:54 am
Maybe each of these future sprint run releases should be numbered eg "Spyderco Bla Bla Sprint Run Release Fiasco No.2" etc.???
Or you could post more crap like that and finally make Spyderco drop the whole Sprint run concept and just release guaranteed "safe" models..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

jdw wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:30 am
I think that it's safe to say that this run disappointed far more loyal Spyderco supporters than it pleased. I never got a even a hint to buy one at MAP even though I was on several sites within seconds of it going live. I would be curious to know how many people on this board actually had the opportunity to buy one at MAP vs how many people tried?
MAP here. Planning well in advance and probing around days after spotting it in Erics video.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

MAP here as well. Wasn’t even really looking for one to be honest. I just happened to check National knives around tre time they went live and boom. No hassle, no fuss, no scouring countless sites at certain times.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 am
jacala wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:54 am
Or you could post more crap like that and finally make Spyderco drop the whole Sprint run concept and just release guaranteed "safe" models..
Frankly, I’m tired of people whining about not getting their toy they were wanting so badly. Keep this crap up and Spyderco will remove the sprint run concept all together. Please bad apples, don’t ruin the whole bunch.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

jdw wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:30 am
..... I never got a even a hint to buy one at MAP even though I was on several sites within seconds of it going live. I would be curious to know how many people on this board actually had the opportunity to buy one at MAP vs how many people tried?
Had one chance at standard retail price and that was the KC pre-order. Wanted to think about it for a bit and thinking there would be plenty of opportunity; well, the opportunity never came up again. After that the closest was being 30 minutes late to the party; so never in the running. Tried to "make an offer" on the bay for $270 and in the 15 seconds it took me to go thru the process of making the offer the knife sold at its "buy now" price of $300. After that, it was $335 BBS and $299 - $420 on the bay. Struck out in the two lotteries!

Not certain why I chased this as it isn't a favorite of mine... guess I just wanted to give it a try.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
blues

Post by blues »

Everyone feels entitled to their "participation trophy"...

(I didn't participate so I didn't get a trophy or t-shirt)
- Retired from the chase -
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

blues wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:33 am
Everyone feels entitled to their "participation trophy"...

(I didn't participate so I didn't get a trophy or t-shirt)

If you can't win the main event, then clean house in the consolation bracket (I could probably put a hundred different pics from my knife shortlist here, but went with a Spyderco as it is their forum).

CG
Attachments
IMG_1267.JPG
Last edited by cycleguy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
blues

Post by blues »

With Spyderco there are really no bad choices. Just some maybe less optimal, (whether in reality or perception), or less desirable on a personal preference basis. I don't sweat the ones that get away. Wait long enough and one will come up at a reasonable price in the secondary market...or something equally appealing will make an appearance.

Just my opinion.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

IMAG3747.jpg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 am
IMAG3747.jpg
Did your scales come that dark, or did you oil them or use some other kind of process?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:01 am
Enactive wrote:
IMAG3747.jpg
Did your scales come that dark, or did you oil them or use some other kind of process?
I've used mineral oil and beeswax. I have applied both a few times. I like both looks, and have experimented. The wax and oils tend to "wear off" some over time, so you have some latitude to experiment without concern.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:09 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:01 am
Enactive wrote:
IMAG3747.jpg
I've used mineral oil and beeswax. I have applied both a few times. I like both looks, and have experimented. The wax and oils tend to "wear off" some over time, so you have some latitude to experiment without concern.

Yeah, I've got the same look using drumstick wax. i've reapplied it numerous times. i prefer the "dry" look from the factory, but it was a little slippery for me. the drumstick wax gives it some grip.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I agree with what everyone said about the whiners... To my knowledge it is impossible to get everything you "want" in life. Yall should be happy that the market demand is there for Spyderco to experiment with new models, and sprints. Clearly the crucarta Shaman was a massive successful.

This can only mean that we will see more exciting variants in the future. Stay positive just because you missed one doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Plus, aside from this forum there are groups on Facebook that center around buying, selling & trade.
Highly would recommend starting there... But above all us just be happy. Life is too short to be uptight about a knife, and bet we all have more than one at this point anyways.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

blues wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 am
With Spyderco there are really no bad choices. Just some maybe less optimal, (whether in reality or perception), or less desirable on a personal preference basis. I don't sweat the ones that get away. Wait long enough and one will come up at a reasonable price in the secondary market...or something equally appealing will make an appearance.

Just my opinion.
Agreed. More nice shiny new things on the way. I’m sure the decision makers see that cruwear and micarta are popular. Patience and we will all have more of both. Pretty soon we will all be saying “can’t we get a knife in anything but cruwear and s30v?”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SF Native wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Pretty soon we will all be saying “can’t we get a knife in anything but cruwear and s30v?”

Man I hope so!! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Brackish

Post by Brackish »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 pm
Brackish wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 pm
Brackish wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm
I know this sounds crazy, but my brother had one show up at his house today. It was addressed to him, but the return address was a fake (no house there), and it was shipped from a completely different state than listed on the return address. So, hold onto your hope...you never know.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

There's more to this story and I have so many questions!? Like is he into knives? Maybe a surprise gift from a friend/gf?? Maybe he ordered a different knife from ebay and the seller shipped out the wrong one. I've done that a few times as an ebay seller.
He’s definitely into knives. Had a pre-order for the Shaman at multiple places, but none of them have gone through. We have run through the people we know that might have been the culprit. Everyone denies it. There are only 3 of us that knew he was looking for that specific knife. Only other order he has placed was for the Native in Cruwear and it was through a dealer website not eBay.

Real mystery.

Any updates? My guess is a RAOK from a fellow forum/reddit/facebook/ig knife enthusiast??
Mystery solved. It was a guy he had sent some computer parts to as a gift and wouldn’t let him pay him for them. Guy got ridiculously lucky and snagged it from an eBay dealer at standard pricing. He had no idea how popular the knife was. Just knew my brother had mentioned it once or twice when they were talking knives, so he bought it and sent it to him as a thank you for the parts.

Moral of the story - sometimes good deeds do get rewarded.
Spydiechef, Dragonfly Salt 2, Native 5 Salt, Native 5 Cruwear, and Q-ball (Newest Addition)
blues

Post by blues »

That's great karma. Nice story, thanks for sharing it.