Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BG-ThatsMe

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

Thanks for the welcome message.

It was food for thought relative to highly anticipated sprint runs or other in demand designs. It could be a nice strategy for select/special releases.

I’ve done something similar in a previous life when demand was high, but customers were sensitive to significant price increases.

Congratulations on the excitement around this release. The Shaman is well designed, wonderfully built and a joy to use.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Nothing to do but wait with bated breath :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BG,

Thanx for the kind words. We don't think that raising prices is a good solution to high demand and we seek other ways of tying to please our customers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

Post by 261659 »

i would like to see 3000 cruwear shaman sprints released....sounds good right...... more happy cx.... more money for spyderco.....more R and D opportunity....better marketing..... more potential cx..... give us a release date..... and spyderco rules the world....lol..... I just really want a cruwear shaman bad....
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

261659 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:21 pm
i would like to see 3000 cruwear shaman sprints released....sounds good right...... more happy cx.... more money for spyderco.....more R and D opportunity....better marketing..... more potential cx..... give us a release date..... and spyderco rules the world....lol..... I just really want a cruwear shaman bad....
I think we all would as well, but holy **** that's a big $$ liability if for some reason it was a flop. Realistically a 6 figure chance they'd be taking. I'm sure there will be enough to go around.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 261659,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for your suggestions. Coming up with the "right" number so they are all gone is challenging as it is not the same for all models. We initially came up with 1200 pieces because that is the minimum number for most vendors.

sal
Slash

Post by Slash »

Whatever the # I'll take 2. Better 1 to keep and other to sell. If both good may save 1 for backup. It's a bit heavy for the size. Would like an xtra 1/2" or so for that weight. But, I know that xtra length could be problem for some places.
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

Relatively new to the knife "community" and I've yet to get a sprint run of anything, always a day late and a dollar short (thanks to the secondary market gouging on these). I've been told this morning by one place to give up on the Shaman as well. What's the best way of having a chance to get one of these? I work 60 hours a week and really don't have time to sit on the store sites and wait for inventories to change.
Fynnister

Post by Fynnister »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 am
Hi BG,

Thanx for the kind words. We don't think that raising prices is a good solution to high demand and we seek other ways of tying to please our customers.
THIS is exactly why I am here now. Thank you!
Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

Fynnister wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 am
sal wrote:
Hi BG,

That’s my concern as well. I was told to sign up for email notifications on the dealer sites, but I’ve also heard that is usually too little, too late.

I’ve started to become disenfranchised with the whole sprint run idea. I feel like it’s a carrot dangled that I won’t get unless I’m willing to just pay crazy money.

I wish they just announced the release dates so everyone had a fair chance. But, that caters to the casual customer and hurts their die hard loyal base.

Every decision they make has pros and cons.

But, on the flip side, I understand the business reason behind limiting risk. Spyderco does offer many things we couldn’t get elsewhere. I just wish there was a better way for them to gauge demand.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Tarheelpwr wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Fynnister wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 am
sal wrote:
Hi BG,

That’s my concern as well. I was told to sign up for email notifications on the dealer sites, but I’ve also heard that is usually too little, too late.

I’ve started to become disenfranchised with the whole sprint run idea. I feel like it’s a carrot dangled that I won’t get unless I’m willing to just pay crazy money.

I wish they just announced the release dates so everyone had a fair chance. But, that caters to the casual customer and hurts their die hard loyal base.

Every decision they make has pros and cons.

But, on the flip side, I understand the business reason behind limiting risk. Spyderco does offer many things we couldn’t get elsewhere. I just wish there was a better way for them to gauge demand.
I agree with allot of what you are saying and there is a solution.

Lets say DLT commits to the minimum for a sprint run which I believe is 1200 pieces. If I am wrong does not matter lets say it is 500 pieces, they commit to do this with Spyderco even as they have to right now. (This can work with exclusives as well.)

Spyderco in return gives them a 1 to 3 month span of time to run their own Kickstarter campaign of sorts allowing them additional manufacturing space and the retailer takes takes orders with a 50% deposit. At the end of this campaign, Spyderco gives a set date the retailer will receive merchandise, first come first serve at the retailer while Spyderco finishes production on the additional units.

This encourages early purchasing, vets buyers who are serious, allows the maximum number of people to get what they want and improves everyone's profits and also gets past the what is hot today is cold tomorrow that long lead times run into trouble with. One thing is certain nobody get stuck with an overage of unsold units beyond the possibility of the initial commitment. Furthermore it slows down the flipper activity but nothing will ever wipe out speculators nor should it.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So a Spyderco direct massdrop?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fymmistwe, Tarheelpwr,

Welcome to our forum.

I understand that there a several other exclusives in-the-work. It also might end up that we made enough and all f the stress was not needed? We just don't know at this time.

sal
Tarheelpwr

Post by Tarheelpwr »

That’s very possible. I’m not going to lose sleep either way. I know it’s a complex process. Comparing this one to the St Nicks probably isn’t fair on my end either. That was just my first attempt at a sprint/exclusive.

These are VERY first world “problems” we’re discussing.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I was just thinking about this whole business. Last week I was all excited and wound up, watching email regularly, ready to jump on a notification. But over the weekend, I just burned out on the whole thing and "gave up". I guess the game isn't over -- but I am feeling an odd mix of apathy and bitterness I guess.

I think a large part of what made this release unique was the expectation worked up here on the forum. People begged and pleaded for this, got excited because it was "going to happen", then it seemed like the rug got pulled out from under everyone. I don't think that Spyderco did anything wrong -- and I as near as I can tell the game ain't over (but I'm not sure what inning it is or what the score is at this point). What I do think is that it is too bad there wasn't some mechanism to couple all of the excitement and expectation with some way to sign up and get one. I was going to suggest a pre-order with the orders being fulfilled by the SFO, but that might get vendors all tied in a knot. I don't know how this could be done, but you can probably see how I am thinking.

It is just a knife -- life goes on. That money can be spent elsewhere.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have full confidence that it will all work out. They see all of this. They know they have a home run. They will likely come up with a way to make more. You might not be part of the original 1200 sprint run in this exact configuration, but maybe they will "extend" the sprint by doing 1200 in DLC as well to get more out there while still staying true to their sprint rules. Or maybe they just go full production in Cruwear with OD Green or Black Micarta. This knife is a beast. I personally think it is the best knife they have ever made between the model, steel, and scales. It has the opportunity to be their new flagship piece. This is the penultimate Spyderco folder. Sal's swan song. I just can't see it all ending after this sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Just received in the mail and I have to say I like it a lot . Happy to get one . Good luck all
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I got mine. Very nice piece. Hope for more to come. I’ll take Denim/K390 next.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am
I got mine. Very nice piece. Hope for more to come. I’ll take Denim/K390 next.

:eek: That would be awesome
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

denim would be amazing, very true!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!