Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderPhreak

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Mm1313 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm
Just scored another one from New Graham Knives... Keep an eye out for National Knives, they're getting their shipment on Wed likely, Thursday at the latest.
Good for you! :rolleyes: You got two, when most folks can't even find one... :mad:

I got tired of trying to find this knife and bought a new watch instead...
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This thread has received over 43,000 views in the 26 days since it was started. Pretty incredible. :eek:

Also, here is Sal's first mention of this as a possible combo and my response. It seemed like a long wait for those of us super exited for this combination, but in reality they got it to market pretty quick. Awesome stuff! :D

Time to move on to phase 2 of my plan...3V Micarta Shaman!

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm

For discussion purposes only; What do you think about a canvas Micarta in brown like the Temperance had and either stone-washed Cruwear or 204P (or M390 or CPM 20CV)? Since the chemistry is very similar, I would opt for the CPM 20CV.

The CF S90V version I promoting will be a small run sprint due to the high cost.

sal

Sal, this is awesome news to hear you are considering Cruwear, especially with Micarta! Matte Brown Micarta with Stonewashed Cruwear is my vote. Id likely buy 2 of them, and Im trying to get away from hoarding multiples so that is saying something! :)

I just got the Native LW Maxamet and the stonewash finish is superb, so I immediately wondered if the same finish could be achieved on Cruwear and other steels. I also really liked the matte finish micarta on the Bark River Bravos and LT Wrights Ive owned. I enjoy any of Brown, Green, and Burgundy Micarta, but im sure Brown will have the widest appeal. I would also think that Cruwear would have the widest appeal of the steels you mention for this particular model.

Assuming that Cruwear/Micarta gets released and is as big of a success as I would expect, I would also suggest 3V and 4V in Micarta for future releases due to immense popularity of 3V/Micarta fixed blades. I think you could pull a lot of new customers in with that combo. I've been wanting a beefy Micarta folder in Cruwear/3V/4V for a long time. Seems like we are close!!

Cruwear Nation Rejoice!!!! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
rivy

Post by rivy »

So have pretty much all dealers gotten theirs and sold out now? I don't think I saw a BHQ release yet... but I could be wrong. Definitely missed the other places that dropped it

Post by 261659 »

yes, blade hq haven't release there shipment yet.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The dry unbuffed micarta was a little slippery for my liking, so I put some drumstick wax on and it is now super grippy without being sticky or tacky. Put some on the buffed micarta scales of my 3V fixed blade as well. I really like the extra grip!

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

My Knifeworks preorder has changed status from preorder to in process! Yay!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm
The dry unbuffed micarta was a little slippery for my liking, so I put some drumstick wax on and it is now super grippy without being sticky or tacky. Put some on the buffed micarta scales of my 3V fixed blade as well. I really like the extra grip!
Interesting! Does the wax stay clear and does it not "sour" for lack of a better term?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Thats surfboard wax. Ive used it for years surfing. I dont think id put it on a knife handle though just because of how it loves to pick up dirt and sand. Id like to see how well it stays clean?
Edit.
Wait I just saw on the logo it says drumstick wax, so I guess it could be completely different than the surf wax they make.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Interesting! Does the wax stay clear and does it not "sour" for lack of a better term?

Good question. I've never used this particular wax before so I have no idea. I'll post updates over time.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:44 pm
Thats surfboard wax. Ive used it for years surfing. I dont think id put it on a knife handle though just because of how it loves to pick up dirt and sand. Id like to see how well it stays clean?

This is their drumstick wax, which I think is a different less-tacky formula than their surfboard wax. It doesn't feel like it will pick up dirt. It isn't sticky at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JF2312/re ... UDbHYSA82A
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

steelcity16 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

This is their drumstick wax, which I think is a different less-tacky formula than their surfboard wax. It doesn't feel like it will pick up dirt. It isn't sticky at all.
Yeah I just edited what I wrote. Have you tried throwing it in the dirt yet?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:48 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Yeah I just edited what I wrote. Have you tried throwing it in the dirt yet?

Not yet, I will do some tests and report back! ;)

I'm also not glopping it on the way you would on a surfboard. Its a smooth light even coat. MUCH grippier, but not sticky at all. If you glop it on heavily I can see it picking up dirt at that point.
Slash

Post by Slash »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:40 am
Mm1313 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm
Just scored another one from New Graham Knives... Keep an eye out for National Knives, they're getting their shipment on Wed likely, Thursday at the latest.
Good for you! :rolleyes: You got two, when most folks can't even find one... :mad:

I got tired of trying to find this knife and bought a new watch instead...
I'm with you. It's more like a challenge than anything. So, is was gonna get a cruwear Bark River and got one with 3v instead as I really liked the design of one and only comes in 3v.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:19 am
This thread has received over 43,000 views in the 26 days since it was started. Pretty incredible. :eek:

Also, here is Sal's first mention of this as a possible combo and my response. It seemed like a long wait for those of us super exited for this combination, but in reality they got it to market pretty quick. Awesome stuff! :D

Time to move on to phase 2 of my plan...3V Micarta Shaman!

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm

For discussion purposes only; What do you think about a canvas Micarta in brown like the Temperance had and either stone-washed Cruwear or 204P (or M390 or CPM 20CV)? Since the chemistry is very similar, I would opt for the CPM 20CV.

The CF S90V version I promoting will be a small run sprint due to the high cost.

sal

Sal, this is awesome news to hear you are considering Cruwear, especially with Micarta! Matte Brown Micarta with Stonewashed Cruwear is my vote. Id likely buy 2 of them, and Im trying to get away from hoarding multiples so that is saying something! :)

I just got the Native LW Maxamet and the stonewash finish is superb, so I immediately wondered if the same finish could be achieved on Cruwear and other steels. I also really liked the matte finish micarta on the Bark River Bravos and LT Wrights Ive owned. I enjoy any of Brown, Green, and Burgundy Micarta, but im sure Brown will have the widest appeal. I would also think that Cruwear would have the widest appeal of the steels you mention for this particular model.

Assuming that Cruwear/Micarta gets released and is as big of a success as I would expect, I would also suggest 3V and 4V in Micarta for future releases due to immense popularity of 3V/Micarta fixed blades. I think you could pull a lot of new customers in with that combo. I've been wanting a beefy Micarta folder in Cruwear/3V/4V for a long time. Seems like we are close!!

Cruwear Nation Rejoice!!!! :)
Gotta give it to you Steelcity. I remember seeing this post back in June 2018 and you totally nailed it. :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Oh my gosh, it is waiting on me when I get back in town!!!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:26 pm
My Knifeworks preorder has changed status from preorder to in process! Yay!
That’s great news. Fingers crossed mine comes through and there’s some action soon.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I sent an email to where my pre-order is and I have not heard back. I’m not holding out hope of getting one at this point. Looks like I’ll be getting a set of aftermarket scales and calling it good enough.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bts327

Post by bts327 »

Well guys and gals, I think I'm officially tapping out. I have spent way too much time calling, refreshing, etc. trying to find this knife. Quite frankly the elusiveness has tarnished some of the appeal at this point. Gonna crack a nice porter and play some good ole Kentucky and relax :D. I'll gladly allocate these funds to one of the many other things on the want list.

FWIW I spoke with National Knives today and they said tomorrow... New Graham also said they have more coming in...

Good luck, it's just a stinkin' knife after all. :p
bts327

Post by bts327 »

steelcity16 wrote:

That CPK is beautiful. HDFK?

See there, you could have a custom from CPK and many other fine smithy's for the aftermarket prices these Crucarta Shamans are pulling. Resist the markup, down with the flippers! :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bts327 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

That CPK is beautiful. HDFK?

See there, you could have a custom from CPK and many other fine smithy's for the aftermarket prices these Crucarta Shamans are pulling. Resist the markup, down with the flippers! :D

Yes sir, a Delta 3V CPK HDFK with buffed black micarta scales. I pre-ordered an FK2 the other day as well with unbuffed OD Green Micarta scales and an added swedge. Going to be hard waiting for that one to arrive!