Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Enactive »

Pairs well with a no. 6 Opinel.
IMAG3711.jpg
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:32 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Ugh... I am so opposed to the idea of lotteries. If this becomes the new trend I will be needing to reevaluate some things. I won’t be playing that game.
You and me both pal.
I am sure they did it with the best intentions but it's not really the way to handle it IMO.
It’ll be interesting to see what Sal and Eric do to avoid this problem in future.

The Crucarta experience has been a definite turn-off for me. I ate BBS’ pricing to stay above the fray, but I won’t keep going to that well to avoid feeding frenzies.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:32 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Ugh... I am so opposed to the idea of lotteries. If this becomes the new trend I will be needing to reevaluate some things. I won’t be playing that game.
You and me both pal.
I am sure they did it with the best intentions but it's not really the way to handle it IMO.
I get why they did it but if I have to enter a lottery just to buy a knife I'm out. I'll rest on the nice knives I already have
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blues

Post by blues »

Edited to remove rant. Carry on...

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
- Retired from the chase -
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
There is one easy way to solve this...
Someone could make more product so that ELUs don’t have to keep doing these stupid human tricks. As long as there is an artificial shortage these games will get worse and worse. It seems like the target audience or primary market has moved from users on to collectors and now to the secondary market profit seekers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:42 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
There is one easy way to solve this...
Someone could make more product so that ELUs don’t have to keep doing these stupid human tricks. As long as there is an artificial shortage these games will get worse and worse. It seems like the target audience or primary market has moved from users on to collectors and now to the secondary market profit seekers.
I'll say it again...it's a LIMITED edition sprint run. It wasn't an artificial shortage it was an intentional shortage.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Intentional is artificial. They could make them until they stop selling well then disco’ them like other models. Limited does not have to mean 600 or 1200, etc. Those are arbitrary limits, not limits due to lack of materials or weather conditions or whatever. We will have to agree to disagree on this.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
AMarkAbove

Post by AMarkAbove »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:14 pm
Intentional is artificial. They could make them until they stop selling well then disco’ them like other models. Limited does not have to mean 600 or 1200, etc. Those are arbitrary limits, not limits due to lack of materials or weather conditions or whatever. We will have to agree to disagree on this.
But then they wouldn't be limited so much as a production run that sold all it would sell. Part of the appeal of a limited run is the sense that you were able to get something that not everyone was fortunate enough to get. It's the same in many other hobbies. Some even go so far as to number the items. For certain things, FOMO plays out in a different way which is basically, if everyone could get it, no one would want it.
~Andrew
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

All the people who want one would still want one, especially users. I definitely dont want one so I can say " hey look at me, I got one". That's dumb.

Maybe you're the type that only wants one because you know not everyone will get one? Does that make it cut more efficiently? Sharper maybe?
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Lottery is OK with me. Seems like a good way for BHQ to handle having 100 preorders and only 15 knives.

Spyderco making only 1200 or whatever number they pick is OK by me too.
That is what a sprint run is.

At some point it is economics for Spyderco I suppose, they have a limited production facility and can
only devote so many days to cranking out Cruwear/Micarta Shamans. I suppose they make a decision
like that up front.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm already seeing a number of these hit the secondary as - surprising nobody - folks who previously didn't like the shaman don't like this one either. FOMO fueled a bunch of these purchases as the hype dragged people in.

Maybe the best lesson learned from this whole experience is that the market is hungry for harder use steels in warmer materials... up to a point. I feel Cruwear hits a great balance between stain resistance and improved toughness, but I can't trust my pockets to not eat M4.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:27 am
I'm already seeing a number of these hit the secondary as - surprising nobody - folks who previously didn't like the shaman don't like this one either. FOMO fueled a bunch of these purchases as the hype dragged people in.

Maybe the best lesson learned from this whole experience is that the market is hungry for harder use steels in warmer materials... up to a point. I feel Cruwear hits a great balance between stain resistance and improved toughness, but I can't trust my pockets to not eat M4.

I think it's more an issue with flippers trying to flip than people regretting their purchase. The people I've seen who got one seem happy with them. I'm sure the hype did entice more flippers to buy them but they're crazy expecting $400+ right at the release. In a few years I have no doubt these will fetch those kinds of prices.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:38 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:27 am

I think it's more an issue with flippers trying to flip than people regretting their purchase. The people I've seen who got one seem happy with them. I'm sure the hype did entice more flippers to buy them but they're crazy expecting $400+ right at the release. In a few years I have no doubt these will fetch those kinds of prices.
you're right, but maybe if we see more production models with micarta that could drive the secondary prices down.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I'm very much hoping that they take this as a cue, and offer a production Shaman (much like the S110V Para2) in Micarta. Because this is definitely souring a LOT of people on the Sprint Game.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Leader2light

Post by Leader2light »

I could care less about steel type. I want brown Micarta scales.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My previous post sounds a little whiny and I suppose it was. I intend it as constructive criticism though.

The lottery method is common with custom knives and I am OK with that. These are production knives, even if they are limited. Do we really want Spyderco sprints to turn into hyper inflated objects. I think a lottery will just create even more exclusivity and folks will drive secondary prices through the roof.

As a business I feel as though you will always make some folks unhappy but when you make far more folks unhappy than happy you probably aren’t making a great business decision. This thread is filled with much more frustration than joy.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Leader2light wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:56 am
I could care less about steel type. I want brown Micarta scales.

Part of the appeal for me with this knife is the micarta scales, because the people doing custom scales all want $100 or more to make you a set so if you just buy the standard Shaman and custom scales you'll spend more than $208 and then you don't have Cruwear with it. If I could put this combo together for less than $208 I might have gone that way but this knife is only $20 more than the standard version and I don't think I can even make my own micarta scales for $20.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For me it was the perfect combination of steel and scales. I suspect it is the same for many. I have a Buck in the same scale material and love it, so I was excited to get a Spyderco in the same material. Since I refuse to purchase from flippers, it looks like I am SOL.

Once again Darby is correct, the Sage of Spyderco Forums. :)
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I’m very happy with my purchase from National Knives. This is my first Shaman, and the Cruwear blade is what brought me to wanting the knife. The Micarta is a nice, unique touch that looks great. Generally I prefer more texture on my handles for traction, but the sculpted handles and ergonomics on the Shaman lock the knife in your hand, and the smooth handles spare your pockets from getting torn up.

On my example the fit and finish is the best of any Spyderco I can remember. The blade is as close to centered as I’ve had before. The lockup is dead solid with no play, yet the blade swings freely and smoothly with the lock released. The Micarta handles don’t show any flaws of note. The edge thickness on the blade is between .020”-.022”, which is thinner than my recent Paramilitary 2’s and Manix 2’s, which I’m happy with. The spine and grind of the blade are plenty thick for hard use, but the .020”-.022” edge thickness improves the cutting ability compared to the .025”-.030” edge thickness I thought I might be getting. The knife as a whole is very coherent with well matched blade blade steel and geometry, lock strength and reliability, and ergonomics.

The Shaman design overall seems like a good, modern replacement to my original Manix C95 as far as harder use Spydercos are concerned. The Shaman has better ergonomics, is lighter and smoother than the Manix C95 was. On the other hand the monster back lock on the Manix C95 was likely stronger and less likely to accidentally unlock, but I much prefer the compression lock for the ease of use, smoothness, and lighter weight.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:57 am

Once again Darby is correct, the Sage of Spyderco Forums. :)
Ha, more like random guy who likes the sound of his own voice. :o ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?