Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88
Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:36 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Wright.88 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:59 pm

ferider wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 pm
This is getting silly. And no, this is not how Sprint runs used to be.

Spyderco: you are p*ssing a lot of faithful users and collectors off, with your new release/marketing/reveal strategy, me included. And you are actively encouraging what basically is scalping.

Bye.
Lol, bye. The constant whining is SO annoying. From so many people. It’s a SPRINT, meaning it’s limited. So they’re only going to make so many. There are 1200 of them, the same number Spyderco normally does for sprints. Sure, it’s more in demand than most sprints, but everyone has the same shot at getting one. And there are still plenty of chances left from other retailers. The complaining about Spyderco not making enough is getting pretty old.

/Long time faithful user who is not “ticked off” in the slightest.

camvdcs
Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby camvdcs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pm

I had the Shaman in the 'cart' twice today but somebody else beat me to it by a second or two. This problem might be resolved buy getting another 800 made to make it a 2000 Sprint run. :D

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby wrdwrght » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Being in the cart doesn't count as sold until the sale is final. There can be a million people on the site at the same time all with knives in their carts but it's only the first X amount of people who finalize the sale who get them and then all the others are out of luck. This is probably true for literally anything you can buy online that has a quantity, it's even possible with standard production knives if enough people all decided to buy the same model all at the same time.
So, you’re saying that if I’m standing in the check-out line at a brick-and-mortar store with a Cabbage-Patch Doll for my daughter and some dude grabs it for his own daughter, that’s OK?

As I said above, the “cart” metaphor is a deception.
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: Maxamet PM2. ON RADAR: Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren; PM2 tanto; SPY27 Para3; S45V PM2 sprint; Rex45 Native Chief sprint. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby TomAiello » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Which retailers haven't yet sold their allotments?

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby TomAiello » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:08 pm

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
As I said above, the “cart” metaphor is a deception.
Yes. But it's a widely used metaphor in e-commerce.

The problem develops with limited stock, high demand items. If I were an e-commerce designer (which I'm not) I'd create a "reserved" function by which inventory is reserved when it's placed in a cart, but then "re-stocked" and removed from the card after some time period (5 minutes or something) to allow others to get it if the original cart is abandoned. I'm sure there would still be complaints, but it would help. Unfortunately, there are _no_ on-line knife retailers who do their own e-commerce design in house. They all use stock solutions from e-commerce providers. Creating this kind of function would have to be done by a very large retailer (like Amazon) or by a company that makes stock software (like Shopify).

User avatar
Lumpy620
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Lumpy620 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Which retailers haven't yet sold their allotments?
River's Edge Cutlery, BladeHQ, Knives Ship Free, GPKnives all list as coming soon still.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20945
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Evil D » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:21 pm

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Being in the cart doesn't count as sold until the sale is final. There can be a million people on the site at the same time all with knives in their carts but it's only the first X amount of people who finalize the sale who get them and then all the others are out of luck. This is probably true for literally anything you can buy online that has a quantity, it's even possible with standard production knives if enough people all decided to buy the same model all at the same time.
So, you’re saying that if I’m standing in the check-out line at a brick-and-mortar store with a Cabbage-Patch Doll for my daughter and some dude grabs it for his own daughter, that’s OK?

As I said above, the “cart” metaphor is a deception.


Obviously a brick and mortar store is completely different than online. You have the item physically in your hands at a store. Until they figure out how to do that online, this is just how it is. They have X amount of inventory and it's first come first serve.



*Actually something similar does happen in physical stores but on items that are kept locked up or are otherwise impossible for you to hold in your hands. Any console video game sale happens just like this. People get in line but only the first however many get one. Having an item in an online cart is essentially the same as standing in line until you've actually paid for it.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
michaelm466
Member
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby michaelm466 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 pm

DVOR offshoot of optics planet has a cart system where if you put something in your cart it's on hold for 10 or 15 minutes, I've seen where there's one item left and it will say "on hold for 07:32" and you can wait for the timer to time out and then add it to your cart, or the other person finished their transaction and it says sold out. Probably would be more likely to crash the site though in this type of situation.

Carlito555
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Carlito555 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:35 pm

Lumpy620 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Which retailers haven't yet sold their allotments?
River's Edge Cutlery, BladeHQ, Knives Ship Free, GPKnives all list as coming soon still.
Yup, knife center said their first run has already been distributed as well...with all the small shipments to all the different distributors, and after all the employees get theirs, it really does make it hard...I only got one notification out of 4-5 requests hoping it will pan out. I also pre ordered from knife center within an hour of it going up on their site and evidently missed out on that one too.

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby bbturbodad » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm

While it may seem like adding a timed hold to your cart will make it easier to get a high demand item, the reality is that you still have the same number of people trying to make the purchase. The result will just be more people won't get the item into their carts but in the end the people who are the fastest will be the ones who get the limited number available.
-Turbo

Tdog
Member
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Tdog » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Good luck to all those entering the fray tomorrow. :spyder:

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby JuPaul » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Carlito555 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:35 pm
Lumpy620 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Which retailers haven't yet sold their allotments?
River's Edge Cutlery, BladeHQ, Knives Ship Free, GPKnives all list as coming soon still.
Yup, knife center said their first run has already been distributed as well...with all the small shipments to all the different distributors, and after all the employees get theirs, it really does make it hard...I only got one notification out of 4-5 requests hoping it will pan out. I also pre ordered from knife center within an hour of it going up on their site and evidently missed out on that one too.
The "first runs" for most of these places were the premiere shipments of like 10 knives each. Don't fret, I think the bigger orders have yet to arrive at any place that didn't post them today, including KC. And most places that did post today seemed to have gotten small shipments. My guestimate: not even half of the 1200 run has been sold so far.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

SLOSpyder
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 12:20 pm

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby SLOSpyder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:49 pm

As I mentioned before, I emailed knife center. The lady that responded said they covered their preorders. If you got one in you should be good. But I understand the hesitance.

Did anyone else get a cutlershoppe order. I’ve never ordered there before. My order says awaiting fulfillment. Is this standard for them?

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby wrdwrght » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:08 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
As I said above, the “cart” metaphor is a deception.
Yes. But it's a widely used metaphor in e-commerce.

The problem develops with limited stock, high demand items. If I were an e-commerce designer (which I'm not) I'd create a "reserved" function by which inventory is reserved when it's placed in a cart, but then "re-stocked" and removed from the card after some time period (5 minutes or something) to allow others to get it if the original cart is abandoned. I'm sure there would still be complaints, but it would help. Unfortunately, there are _no_ on-line knife retailers who do their own e-commerce design in house. They all use stock solutions from e-commerce providers. Creating this kind of function would have to be done by a very large retailer (like Amazon) or by a company that makes stock software (like Shopify).
All good points, Tom. I’ll amend my earlier remarks.
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: Maxamet PM2. ON RADAR: Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren; PM2 tanto; SPY27 Para3; S45V PM2 sprint; Rex45 Native Chief sprint. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

dogrunner
Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby dogrunner » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 pm

I got lucky and got one from the pre-order list at Knifeworks right after the original advanced shipment sold out - also had one in the cart and did not complete the purchase fast enough, but happened to be in the right place at the right time for the next few.
Like many of you I wanted this version ever since the original thread about steel and scale materials.
I had also tried to get the St Nicks 4V, had it in the cart and still did not get one.
But for all those who are frustrated - Spyderco made the decision on making this a sprint and not a bigger run. That is their call. This is not a new thing and it is a good way to get variants in the hands of users, even if not all demand will be satisfied. But P-L-E-A-S-E do NOT blame them or retailers for how shopping carts work in e-commerce. And we can all stop feeling so entitled! It is a knife, not a kidney transplant.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Sumdumguy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:28 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:08 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
As I said above, the “cart” metaphor is a deception.
Yes. But it's a widely used metaphor in e-commerce.

The problem develops with limited stock, high demand items. If I were an e-commerce designer (which I'm not) I'd create a "reserved" function by which inventory is reserved when it's placed in a cart, but then "re-stocked" and removed from the card after some time period (5 minutes or something) to allow others to get it if the original cart is abandoned. I'm sure there would still be complaints, but it would help. Unfortunately, there are _no_ on-line knife retailers who do their own e-commerce design in house. They all use stock solutions from e-commerce providers. Creating this kind of function would have to be done by a very large retailer (like Amazon) or by a company that makes stock software (like Shopify).
Ticketmaster does exactly this. It's kinda nice for getting good seats.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby TomAiello » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 pm

SLOSpyder wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:49 pm
As I mentioned before, I emailed knife center. The lady that responded said they covered their preorders. If you got one in you should be good. But I understand the hesitance.

Did anyone else get a cutlershoppe order. I’ve never ordered there before. My order says awaiting fulfillment. Is this standard for them?
I've bought many knives from CutleryShoppe. I've never been in this kind of high demand situation from them (although I did get the very last XHP PM2) so I can't say for sure, but they've always been a stand up operation in my experience, so I'd expect that they'll come through for you.

Tarheelpwr
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby Tarheelpwr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:07 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 pm
SLOSpyder wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:49 pm
As I mentioned before, I emailed knife center. The lady that responded said they covered their preorders. If you got one in you should be good. But I understand the hesitance.

Did anyone else get a cutlershoppe order. I’ve never ordered there before. My order says awaiting fulfillment. Is this standard for them?
I've bought many knives from CutleryShoppe. I've never been in this kind of high demand situation from them (although I did get the very last XHP PM2) so I can't say for sure, but they've always been a stand up operation in my experience, so I'd expect that they'll come through for you.
No first hand experience, but I was clicking submit order within 10 sec, and it did not allow me to process. I would think that’s good news for you. If it let you process, I’d be optimistic.

SLOSpyder
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 12:20 pm

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby SLOSpyder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Lumpy620 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Which retailers haven't yet sold their allotments?
River's Edge Cutlery, BladeHQ, Knives Ship Free, GPKnives all list as coming soon still.
Don’t forget DLT website says they’re getting another small batch next week.

Thanks for the feedback above. I really hope everyone that wants one gets one. Maybe time for another Sprint Run tier for ones they know are grand slams. Something like 1800-2000 pieces.

Edited: Don’t want others being offended at my desire to hunt the knives I want. Beauty of it is, I have control over my life and can afford the things I like. And part of the enjoyment is the search in finding the pieces you want.
Last edited by SLOSpyder on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

jacala
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am
Location: Ipswich,Queensland,Australia

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Postby jacala » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:26 pm

I've temporarily given up ! Bit hard keeping awake at 3.30 am Australian time. Will try again next week.Maybe !?
In the meantime I bought myself a "feel good" consolation prize.
A Streamlight TLR-8.:-)


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, cabfrank, ChrisinHove, Doeswhateveraspidercan, Johncjeff, ladybug93, Larry_Mott, MSN [Bot], Peter1960, Ric, The Meat man, Wartstein, wolfstyle and 34 guests