Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Monty »

There was no limit to just 1 but it looks like ten people grabbed 1 apiece. Glad no flippers saw it and bought the lot.

Edited for JDW. ;)
Last edited by Monty on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi Steve,

We are considering making larger runs on Sprints.

sal
Thanks Sal. If a customer has a vote, consider mine for larger runs of some models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:35 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:58 pm
Try to understand that when we build a run of a model, we have no idea what the reaction will be or how well they're be received.
these pieces are started close to a year before they finally come out. Sometimes, they do well, like this one. Sometimes they don't and we end up sitting on inventory. Based on the reaction to the Cruwear Shaman, I'm sure we'll build more, maybe in a different color. I might add that there at lease 4 Shaman exclusives that I know of in-the-works.

sal
I do wonder though. How many Dealers have been added to the Spyderco Network, since the 1200-1500 piece runs size had been decided upon?

We look forward to what comes next.

Hi Steve,

We are considering making larger runs on Sprints.

sal
I fully understand the tightrope with introducing new models, be they sprints or regular production. I would hate to have a great knife like the Manix 2 back lock "misfire" on me. I don't know what to say/think about the amount of knives in sprint runs.. Lately i feel like it has become a scalper's game with the exclusives and sprints, where people use a number of accounts to bypass the limited # of knives/customer and flip the knives before they even have them in hand.
I suppose upping the amount of knives made would kill that, but it would also hurt the concept of sprint runs/exclusivety i think.
Now i know you are opposed to the "custom shop" concept, and i do get why, but at the same time that could maybe lead to less "mass hysteria" and make people think "Yeah, go ahead and by the same knife as 1199 other people, i will order one the way *I* want it. (Of course i don't mean custom shop should have endless variants down to screw material and color, but basically a "build your own sprint" concept. I dunno.. I have far to little insight and knowledge about the knife business from your end Sal. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thx @Monty. :cool: :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
nexgen23

Post by nexgen23 »

If I am qualified under the Sheer ID program can I call SFO and pre-order one or do I have to be a collector, dealer or premiere??
jdw

Post by jdw »

Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:03 pm
There was no limit to just 1 but it looks like ten people grabbed 1 apiece. Glad no flippers saw it.
Couldn't help but chuckle. The whole model is a flipper's dream.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I think this should be a series... Cru-Wear Micarta Shaman. Maybe a dozen versions where each version is a Cru-Wear blade and a different color Micarta handle. Just a thought...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 pm

And I still have this thread set to alerts you bunch of Chatty Kathy’s. ;) You are stressing me out with all the notifications. :)

Did you get one of the eBay ones???
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I could have snagged one of the Shamans from Ebay, but didn't want to pay the tax. I'll still probably end up paying tax when I find one, but figured I'd continue taking my chances of getting one from a dealer.
-Nick :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:02 pm
I think this should be a series... Cru-Wear Micarta Shaman. Maybe a dozen versions where each version is a Cru-Wear blade and a different color Micarta handle. Just a thought...

CG
There is a limit to the Cruwear(let alone micarta and the Shaman) buying pool and that would probably trip it pretty quick.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

Last edited by SLOSpyder on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 pm

And I still have this thread set to alerts you bunch of Chatty Kathy’s. ;) You are stressing me out with all the notifications. :)

Did you get one of the eBay ones???
Sure did! I have ordered from that seller a couple of times before as well. Looking forward to this one!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:44 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:40 am

I don't think they'd do Cruwear again in a Shaman sprint.
Nothing stopping a dealer who likes to make money from doing 1200 DLC and 1200 Satin Cruwear Micarta Shamans in Denim, Burgundy, or Green Micarta.
Those wouldn't be SPRINT runs. They would be dealer or distributor exclusives and would be subject to approval from Spyderco
I am good with that. I don't care if they call them Sprints, Exclusives, or Pickles. If it is made by Spyderco, for sale, and Cruwear/Micarta, I am good to go. Maybe even in Pink.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

W7H2O wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm
jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Have missed plenty of these runs and exclusives but I don't come here whining about it..a lot of you sound like whiny little 2 year olds..wahhh mommy I didn't get the lollipop I wanted..
Get along with people much?

He's whining about the whiners. LOL
I'm whining about the people whining about the whiners. There are even people whining about traffic in the thread that they don't like. I want to whine about them too, is that OK?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I prefer cheese and crackers with my whine. :D
rivy

Post by rivy »

I like the small-ish size of sprint runs. It makes them special. Does it encourage flippers - yes, but does it help your *collectable* hold value - also yes. If sprints become EASY to get they will lose much of what makes them fun.

Of course certain great steels like cru-wear should have some production models, but I think having sprints with unique steels and colors is great. Also, as Sal mentioned, not all sprints are successful and some just sit around available. Even the Caly 3 Hap40 is fairly available on the second hand market with very little mark up. Maybe $20 at this point.
jdw

Post by jdw »

rivy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:18 pm
I like the small-ish size of sprint runs. It makes them special. Does it encourage flippers - yes, but does it help your *collectable* hold value - also yes. If sprints become EASY to get they will lose much of what makes them fun.

Of course certain great steels like cru-wear should have some production models, but I think having sprints with unique steels and colors is great. Also, as Sal mentioned, not all sprints are successful and some just sit around available. Even the Caly 3 Hap40 is fairly available on the second hand market with very little mark up. Maybe $20 at this point.
Really? I am an apologist and I think that your reason is screwed.
--Wovoka
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This knife is a waste if not used and just sitting in a box or on a stand. The main reason it was so heavily sought after to come to creation was because of how great the steel, scales and model of the knife would be in use.

I feel bad for any of you that miss out on this one for someone that's just going to flick it a few times a day and put it away in a box. I know a bunch of you have been drooling over this one for quite some time and hope you can get your hands on one!

I've had my eye on them with the ability to be on a computer quite often, so if I manage to grab one I will sell it at the $208 price plus a few dollars shipping. Though...this looks like a big IF with this knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I hope that any flipper who manages to get ahold of any of these, and tries to flip it for a profit, gets leprosy and loses all their digits. :rolleyes: No, I'm not a fan of flippers. :mad: I refuse to bend to that extortion.

Yeah, I want one. And I have a gut feeling I won't get one. :( Love my M4 BHQ model, and would really love a CruCarta version. But if the various outlets only have them available for a few minutes at some random time of the day, there's likely 0% chance I'll manage to score. Grr.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Spyderco, as a Company, messed this up. I think that is pretty clear. As a fan, I hope that they figure it out.
--Wovoka