Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by JRinFL »

I guess am not being clear. Sprint runs and dealer exclusives are arbitrary limits set by Spyderco or dealers. I can see that for odd colors or esoteric steels as the market is likely small. However, since the Shaman was released there has been a steady demand for a release in Cru-wear or similar steel. There has also been many requests for a return to Micarta scales. So maybe this should have been something different than a one and done sprint or a dealer exclusive? Demand seems indicate this deserves to be a regular offering. As a regular offering there is no mad rush, no profit seekers looking to flip, no FOMO, no circus tricks, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jdw

Post by jdw »

SMKW sent me a product alert and was sold out by the time that I clicked the link. This is just silly at this point.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:18 pm
I guess am not being clear. Sprint runs and dealer exclusives are arbitrary limits set by Spyderco or dealers. I can see that for odd colors or esoteric steels as the market is likely small. However, since the Shaman was released there has been a steady demand for a release in Cru-wear or similar steel. There has also been many requests for a return to Micarta scales. So maybe this should have been something different than a one and done sprint or a dealer exclusive? Demand seems indicate this deserves to be a regular offering. As a regular offering there is no mad rush, no profit seekers looking to flip, no FOMO, no circus tricks, etc.
That could be said about any of the high demand sprint or exclusive models Where do they draw the line?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Have missed plenty of these runs and exclusives but I don't come here whining about it..a lot of you sound like whiny little 2 year olds..wahhh mommy I didn't get the lollipop I wanted..
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm
SMKW sent me a product alert and was sold out by the time that I clicked the link. This is just silly at this point.
That might have been there premiere shipment. Than they get a bigger shipment later on I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

GH9000 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:36 pm
jdw wrote:
That might have been there premiere shipment. Than they get a bigger shipment later on I believe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe you're correct
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

If I recall correctly, this is very similar to how the HAP40 Caly 3 sprint release went down. Very limited availability at first, but later it was available for longer.
I don't think it was ever readily available, but those that wanted one could get one.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Have missed plenty of these runs and exclusives but I don't come here whining about it..a lot of you sound like whiny little 2 year olds..wahhh mommy I didn't get the lollipop I wanted..
Get along with people much?
--Wovoka
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Get along with people much?

He's whining about the whiners. LOL
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

And I still have this thread set to alerts you bunch of Chatty Kathy’s. ;) You are stressing me out with all the notifications. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

jdw wrote:

I saw and did the same thing. I will give it to SMKW. They were the first to send notifications. Though I don't think they took pre-orders. So they were not sold out, ahead of receiving the order. I found the email 41 minutes after it arrived. So of course they were all sold out.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 pm
And I still have this thread set to alerts you bunch of Chatty Kathy’s. ;) You are stressing me out with all the notifications. :)
I was considering starting a “Shaman Drop Alerts Only” thread, but that may be worse trying to monitor 2 threads.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

KnifeCenter is shipping preorders. I got in pretty early, and mine is on its way.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

GH9000 wrote:
jdw wrote:

They (SMKW) 'may' get more later. But I have to think, it won't be more than like maybe 3. And only then, if some Dealers pass on ordering any of them.
1200 knives ÷ about 275 Spyderco Dealers in the U.S.A. alone, = only 4.36 knives per Dealer.

I wonder if Sal is thinking, that it might be time to bump these run size numbers up some? By about 1000 pieces. Even at this number. They'll still be hard to get, and rare. :)
That has got to make the Dealers happier, and you just know, more potential buyers will be happier as well. :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:18 pm
GH9000 wrote:
jdw wrote:

They (SMKW) 'may' get more later. But I have to think, it won't be more than like maybe 3. And only then, if some Dealers pass on ordering any of them.
1200 knives ÷ about 275 Spyderco Dealers in the U.S.A. alone, = only 4.36 knives per Dealer.

I wonder if Sal is thinking, that it might be time to bump these run size numbers up some? By about 1000 pieces. Even at this number. They'll still be hard to get, and rare. :)
That has got to make the Dealers happier, and you just know, more potential buyers will be happier as well. :D

If they are already at production capacity in Golden though, that is just taking away from other knives being made. Tough balancing act. Maybe they should stop doing exclusives for the dealers who sell at scalper prices with inflated shipping charges and then end up sitting on hundreds or thousands of overpriced PM2s? That could have been a few thousand more Shamans sold at fair prices. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

If you are Spyderco those hundreds or thousands of PM2s that are sitting around for consumers are paid for and money in the bank. It doesn't affect them at all. I am not disagreeing just saying.
--Wovoka
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
GH9000 wrote:
jdw wrote:

If they are already at production capacity in Golden though, that is just taking away from other knives being made. Tough balancing act. Maybe they should stop doing exclusives for the dealers who sell at scalper prices with inflated shipping charges and then end up sitting on hundreds or thousands of overpriced PM2s? That could have been a few thousand more Shamans sold at fair prices. :D

L o l, you're right of course. It would take away from other knives being made, and be a tough balancing act.

A couple of Dealers quickly came to mind, when you mentioned scalper prices, and inflated shipping charges! :D
I have bought from each of them, once. But only because they were the only Dealers in the World, who had new stock. I will say, all went smoothly, and at that point, it was worth the price. Though I did growl some . . .
Monty

Post by Monty »

mb1 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:04 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:54 pm
I was considering starting a “Shaman Drop Alerts Only” thread, but that may be worse trying to monitor 2 threads.
Yes, please.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:47 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:22 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
GH9000 wrote:

L o l, you're right of course. It would take away from other knives being made, and be a tough balancing act.

A couple of Dealers quickly came to mind, when you mentioned scalper prices, and inflated shipping charges! :D
I have bought from each of them, once. But only because they were the only Dealers in the World, who had new stock. I will say, all went smoothly, and at that point, it was worth the price. Though I did growl some . . .

The sad part to me is that this is a user knife if there ever was one. The model, the micarta, the Cruwear. It begs to be put to use. But with the supply being a fraction of the demand, most of the 1,200 will be sold and resold and put into a drawer or a safe or a safe deposit box (yes, there is a member here who does this! :rolleyes: ) and never see the light of day. :( Mine is in my pocket as we speak, so at least one of these is going to get used! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Try to understand that when we build a run of a model, we have no idea what the reaction will be or how well they're be received.
these pieces are started close to a year before they finally come out. Sometimes, they do well, like this one. Sometimes they don't and we end up sitting on inventory. Based on the reaction to the Cruwear Shaman, I'm sure we'll build more, maybe in a different color. I might add that there at lease 4 Shaman exclusives that I know of in-the-works.

sal