K390 vs Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

K390 vs Maxamet

Post by Wright.88 »

So I just got a maxamet PM2 but haven’t had a chance to use it much. I’m really interested in the K390 PM2 that’s coming out on Friday but was wondering what differences I would see in the two steels? Someone who has used both, which do you prefer and why?

I’m guessing maxamet should hold an edge longer but be a little more difficult to sharpen (I know both will hold an edge a ridiculously long time). It also seems that they’re similar in regards to patina/rusting and toughness (not especially tough).
DukeNiemand

Re: K390 vs Maxamet

Post by DukeNiemand »

I believe K390 has a lot higher edge strength. So the K390 will resist chipping more than Maxamet. Edge retention is in Maxamet's favor. Neither will be hard to sharpen with good diamond stones. I even touch up my Maxamet PM2 freehand on a UF rod.

BBB has a lot of great videos extolling the virtues of K390. Here's one of the most eye-opening ones:

https://youtu.be/E-c3LxQbcqg
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

K390 to me seems to be 'tough enough' - in that I just use it normally as I would any other folding knife steel, and I've never had any issues with microchipping or tip fragility. That's with a fairly thinned out edge and pointier tip profile too.

Sharpenability is fine with the right gear - diamonds or SiC preferable.

I do exercise a little bit more care with Maxamet whether it's actually merited or not, both in sharpening and use.

K390 patinas very readily, and you need to exercise some preventive care, accordingly. Maxamet seems to take a misty kind of bluish surface patina, and appears to to be a bit more corrosion resistant. But they're both very much tool steels, not anywhere near stainless.

If I had to choose between them for an EDC, my preference would be K390.

A K390 PM2 huh? Didn't see that one. That's a pretty awesome configuration.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:23 pm

A K390 PM2 huh? Didn't see that one. That's a pretty awesome configuration.
Releasing Friday - BBS exclusive.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

K390 and Maxamet are two of my favorite steels.

Maxamet wins on edge holding. It basically stays sharp forever.

K390 is tougher, so you can go thinner or abuse it more.

For a folding EDC knife, I prefer Maxamet, because I like to be able to keep going a long time between sharpening.

For something that I need to have really thin and sharp, and I can stop and sharpen more (game prep, for example) I'd rather have K390.

The truth is that you're not going to go too far wrong with either one.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I saw a video from supersteelsteve that lead me to this conclusion. At the same Hardness, Spyderco K390 will out perform Spyderco Maxamet in a fine edge / working edge cut test (they're almost identical, but k390 did just a little better). And K390 will be a little tougher as well.

Here's the caveat, Spyderco Maxamet is usually Harder than Spyderco K390. So when Maxamet is harder than K390, it will outperform K390 in fine edge/ working edge tests. K390 will remain the tougher of the two steels however.

So in toughness/ abuse resistance, K390 wins. In fine edge holding/ working edge holding Maxamet wins (if it is hardened to it's full potential, if the Maxamet and K390 are about the same hardness, K390 wins. I think the test I watched the hardness was 65hrc for both blades, out of the Maxamet blades I've heard of tested from spyderco most were in the 68hrc range. A 68hrc Maxamet will outcut 65hr K390.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

K390 works better for my practical use, but there's nothing in production like maxamet, it's in a class by itself.
I'm guessing with my blades, maxamet generally has 2x the edge retention of k390.

Bottom line, if your blade only sees light to medium use, maxamet all the way.
If you're going to get rough with it, k390 is the choice between these two.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

K390 was way easier for me to sharpen and the edge lasted almost a year, to me it seems to be a good balance. Maxamet is a lot easier to chip out although my main experience is with a factory second so maybe the heat treat is bad
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm
K390 was way easier for me to sharpen and the edge lasted almost a year, to me it seems to be a good balance. Maxamet is a lot easier to chip out although my main experience is with a factory second so maybe the heat treat is bad
Spyderco's factory seconds are seconds in cosmetics only. Function and safety wise, the knives are 100%.

I've sort of had the opposite experience. I find Maxamet easier to sharpen than K390.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:31 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Spyderco's factory seconds are seconds in cosmetics only. Function and safety wise, the knives are 100%.

I've sort of had the opposite experience. I find Maxamet easier to sharpen than K390.
Well my Manix 2 is collecting dust cause I can't get it sharp lol I just got a new job maybe I can get new diamond stones and that will help. I have a kme but haven't been able to fix the maxamet blade. Perhaps I'll give it another go it's been a while
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:40 pm
The Meat man wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:

Well my Manix 2 is collecting dust cause I can't get it sharp lol I just got a new job maybe I can get new diamond stones and that will help. I have a kme but haven't been able to fix the maxamet blade. Perhaps I'll give it another go it's been a while
I'll do your Maxamet if you'll do my K390. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:44 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:40 pm
The Meat man wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:

I'll do your Maxamet if you'll do my K390. :D
Only if it's an urban! the police would take a while haha