Replacing a ZDP Endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Re: Replacing a ZDP Endura?

Post by Albatross »

jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:22 pm

I really am warming up to the idea of the K390 Police. That's a good price and it seems to be the most similar to what I expect blade performance wise. Thanks much.
You're welcome. If you get one, let us know how you like it. If you get an Endura, let us know which one and how you like it. Both are great knives and you can't go wrong with either one.

When it comes to the performance, K390 definitely wont disappoint. The blade is also thinner than an Endura's blade, giving an advantage in slicing efficiency to the Police.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Pakkawood Endura feels premium- but you pay the price too
Pakkawood is also barely wood - it's pretty much "wood micarta"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

JDW, knowing how my brain works if I liked ZDP that much instead of getting something almost as good as, or almost the same I'd get another ZDP knife just like the one that became my reference standard. If I then wanted to experiment with other fits I'd do that later when sales came up or it was more convenient. If something is exactly what I want and need I'd be pretty unhappy no longer having it around. There are obviously a lot of excellent others to have fun with but why do without what you really want?

Joe
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you don't mind a knife that's longer in the pocket and less corrosion resistant, the Police 4 is a great value at the current price.

ZDP Enduras are still in stock, so you could always buy a backup either way. I'll PM you a shop that has them.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:17 pm
Sorry to get off topic, but for those of you that put a pox on orange and burnt orange to which schools are you referring? I went to A&M, so burnt orange will forever be associated with Texas.
Burnt orange is definitely Texas.

In our household we're Georgia fans. For me, that's largely by marriage--although I went to graduate school at UGA, I've never been much of a sports fan. I grew up in California, so it's just not in my blood. But for my wife, it borders on religion. She's actually from Georgia, and she was the first woman to be a trainer for the Georgia football team. Most of the traditional rival schools are orange--Auburn, Florida, Tennessee.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:01 pm
If you don't mind a knife that's longer in the pocket and less corrosion resistant, the Police 4 is a great value at the current price.
This is a great suggestion. The Police 4 in K390 is a fantastic knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:58 pm
K390 will be tougher and hold a super fine edge just as long basically (probably tad more), as well as have a long working edge lifetime if necessary. Of course zdp is more stainless though.
I find it easier to get ZDP to the point of "scary sharp" than K390. K390 holds a working edge longer for me, though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:11 pm
[quote=jdw post_id=1364629 time=1570054925

The blade is also thinner than an Endura's blade, giving an advantage in slicing efficiency to the Police.
May I ask:
How is the blade of the Police "thinner than an Endura blade"? Both are 3mm in blade stock..

Or do you mean "thinner behind the edge from the factory" or something like this?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 pm
Albatross wrote:

The blade is also thinner than an Endura's blade, giving an advantage in slicing efficiency to the Police.
May I ask:
How is the blade of the Police "thinner than an Endura blade"? Both are 3mm in blade stock..

Or do you mean "thinner behind the edge from the factory" or something like this?

.118" (2.99 mm) on the Police and .125" (3.175 mm) on the Endura. Spyderco rounds the mm size, but these numbers I listed came from the technical specs listed on Spyderco's website. The difference is not massive, but for a larger blade to be even slightly thinner, is impressive. Additionally, with the blade being longer, the distal taper ends up providing a thinner stock toward the tip and the added height also makes for a thinner edge.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Albatross wrote:

May I ask:

.118" (2.99 mm) on the Police and .125" (3.175 mm) on the Endura. Spyderco rounds the mm size, but these numbers I listed came from the technical specs listed on Spyderco's website. The difference is not massive, but for a larger blade to be even slightly thinner, is impressive. Additionally, with the blade being longer, the distal taper ends up providing a thinner stock toward the tip and the added height also makes for a thinner edge.
The important thing that really makes the Endura tip stronger: Look at the tips SIDEWAYS, so not on the spine, but on the flat side of the blade ("bladeheight"). The tip of the Endura is less pointy and less acute, but stronger, cause there is that "drop" towards the tip that makes the angle more obtuse.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:06 am
Albatross wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Albatross wrote:

May I ask:

The important thing that really makes the Endura tip stronger: Look at the tips SIDEWAYS, so not on the spine, but on the flat side of the blade ("bladeheight"). The tip of the Endura is less pointy and less acute, but stronger, cause there is that "drop" towards the tip that makes the angle more obtuse.
My Police 3 is over a decade old, heavily used, and reprofiled to a thinner angle. Tip is fine after all these years. YMMV, but the Police tips work really well for me.

The full distal taper means that essentially none of the cutting edge is sitting below 3mm stock. The majority of the blade is between 2-3mm. There's very few folders Spyderco makes with comparable geometry. It makes Militarys and Paras feel thick. It may even keep up with your Chap.
:unicorn
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:06 am
Albatross wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

May I ask:

My Police 3 is over a decade old, heavily used, and reprofiled to a thinner angle. Tip is fine after all these years. YMMV, but the Police tips work really well for me.

The full distal taper means that essentially none of the cutting edge is sitting below 3mm stock. The majority of the blade is between 2-3mm. There's very few folders Spyderco makes with comparable geometry. It makes Militarys and Paras feel thick. It may even keep up with your Chap.
This ^^^

Wartstein, I'll post a picture later, when I have some time, to show the stock difference between the Endura and Police 4.

Edit: here are a few pictures that will hopefully show the difference in thickness.

Here is a length comparison for reference. You can also see the difference in tip profile between the two.

Bad angle, but it shows how thin the Police 4 blade is, for it's length.

The Police is on the left. This angle shows the difference better than the other 2.

I hope that helps.
Monty

Post by Monty »

If you don't like orange there's always RIT dye. Had great experience with it on Ruger frames and Salt knives.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I own Enduras in ZDP, Hap40, as well as the SG2 model. I also own a Police 4.
The police 4 is the most impressive cutting tool of the bunch but didn't get carried nearly as much as the 'ol British Racing Green ZDP Endura ;)
It's really the perfect edc knife.
That being said, the Super Gold is growing on me, it reminds me a lot of s30v but with finer grain structure. Its easier to sharpen than ZDP and more corrosion resistant. If I didn't have the ZDP, it would be carried a lot!