Replacing a ZDP Endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Replacing a ZDP Endura?

Post by jdw »

My son is heading out for fall camping and I sent my beloved ZDP Endura with him. I happily will probably never see it again so for ZDP fans, I am wondering if I should replace it or try a different steel for my Endura? I had a SB flavor that worked for me but edge retention wasn't the best. I am considering a SG2 Endura since there are so many on the secondary market but I would appreciate some real world feedback on the SG2 Endura vs ZDP. Thanks all.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Re: Replacing a ZDP Endura?

Post by Wartstein »

HAP 40!!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:14 am
I hear ya, but I can't carry burnt orange to save my life. It's a college football thing and it doesn't make rational sense.
--Wovoka
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Pakkawood HAP40 then? It's a classy setup. Or on the opposite side of the spectrum, the Zome bright orange? HAP40 is the best Endura has to offer right now IMO, but we'll likely see K390 in 2020 which might surpass your ZDP expectations.

Last edited by abbazaba on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Word is that K390 is coming.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:14 am
I hear ya, but I can't carry burnt orange to save my life. It's a college football thing and it doesn't make rational sense.
That made me laugh.

My wife won't allow anything orange in the house during college football season.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd hold off and hope that the Cruwear Endura is next in line after this recent Cruwear Delica. That will be my first Endura.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sorry to get off topic, but for those of you that put a pox on orange and burnt orange to which schools are you referring? I went to A&M, so burnt orange will forever be associated with Texas.

As for your Endura, I think the lock bar on the SG2 version is pretty sweet. I don't know anything about the steel however.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

SG2 can't compete with Zdp-189 as far as edge retention. It does sharpen and strop easily, and is more stainless, but you'll notice the decrease in edge longevity.

As others have said, Hap40 is a good option. It still lags behind zdp-189 in edge retention, but is tougher and more stable at the edge.

K390 will be out next year. That's just a guess, since there wont be any K390 available to Spyderco, until some time this month. Then factor in their production queue, and it will probably be early to mid 2020. K390 will out cut zdp-189, has more toughness and more edge stability. If you're willing to go with a larger blade, BHQ has the Police 4 G10 in K390 on sale for $175. That's $55 more than the Zdp-189 Endura, but you get G10, full steel liners, and a killer steel.

If you're looking for similar cutting power in the very near future, just get another Zdp-189 Endura, the other options might disappoint and you already know what you're getting with the steel and model.
jdw

Post by jdw »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:17 pm
Sorry to get off topic, but for those of you that put a pox on orange and burnt orange to which schools are you referring? I went to A&M, so burnt orange will forever be associated with Texas.
I am an OU grad and I have worked for the university, so I pretty much dislike OK State pumpkin orange and UT burnt orange during Football season (as do most Aggies that I've met) ;) .....I am not trying to start a college football flame war on a knife board. Hate on Crimson all that you like. It's part of the fun of being a fan.
Last edited by jdw on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
ferider

Post by ferider »

If you can still find the Pakkawood Endura, I suggest to get it. Beautiful knife.
jdw

Post by jdw »

ferider wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 pm
If you can still find the Pakkawood Endura, I suggest to get it. Beautiful knife.
I agree that it's a beautiful knife but I have serious questions about the stability of the scales during real use. I would hate to be in the middle of nowhere in the rain and find out the wood hasn't been treated properly.
Last edited by jdw on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I'd step up and get the Police 4 LW.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:19 pm
SG2 can't compete with Zdp-189 as far as edge retention. It does sharpen and strop easily, and is more stainless, but you'll notice the decrease in edge longevity.

As others have said, Hap40 is a good option. It still lags behind zdp-189 in edge retention, but is tougher and more stable at the edge.

K390 will be out next year. That's just a guess, since there wont be any K390 available to Spyderco, until some time this month. Then factor in their production queue, and it will probably be early to mid 2020. K390 will out cut zdp-189, has more toughness and more edge stability. If you're willing to go with a larger blade, BHQ has the Police 4 G10 in K390 on sale for $175. That's $55 more than the Zdp-189 Endura, but you get G10, full steel liners, and a killer steel.

If you're looking for similar cutting power in the very near future, just get another Zdp-189 Endura, the other options might disappoint and you already know what you're getting with the steel and model.
I really am warming up to the idea of the K390 Police. That's a good price and it seems to be the most similar to what I expect blade performance wise. Thanks much.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm
I like VG10 but I don't think that I would be happy replacing ZDP with it. I am open to honest arguments for it though.
--Wovoka
ferider

Post by ferider »

jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:18 pm
I agree that it's a beautiful knife but I have serious questions about the stability of the scales during real use. I would hate to be in the middle of nowhere on the rain and find out the wood hasn't been treated properly.
According to the manufacturer (Rutland Plywood Corp.), "composite phenolic-impregnated woods work best in objects meant for constant use under difficult conditions, such as handles for military equipment, knitting needles and pool cues". :)

It's a hard use knife alright. The composite blade adds toughness. Also note that it has a stainless back-spacer (not the Endura-traditional nylon one), so the knife is real easy to dis/re-assemble and clean.

Nothing against ZDP189. I EDC it in a Stretch 2. I just like the built of the Pakkawood exclusive.

Roland.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ZDP-189 is a very unique steel. There will be steels you like more and steels you like less, but none will replace zdp. If you like it, keep one in your inventory. And don't assume your son will lose it. But be prepared to sharpen it and possibly clean up some surface rust.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:24 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm
I like VG10 but I don't think that I would be happy replacing ZDP with it. I am open to honest arguments for it though.
Oh right I had my mind on K390. In that case if you can live with a patina there's always the G10 version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jdw

Post by jdw »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:32 pm
ZDP-189 is a very unique steel. There will be steels you like more and steels you like less, but none will replace zdp. If you like it, keep one in your inventory. And don't assume your son will lose it. But be prepared to sharpen it and possibly clean up some surface rust.
I am having reservations about replacing the ZDP. I just love the steel and it seems to hold an edge forever. K390 is what I am probably the most curious about the similarities between. As for my son, I am pretty sure that he won't lose it but I am also pretty sure that I just added it to his collection. :)
--Wovoka
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

jdw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:51 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:32 pm
I am having reservations about replacing the ZDP. I just love the steel and it seems to hold an edge forever. K390 is what I am probably the most curious about the similarities between. As for my son, I am pretty sure that he won't lose it but I am also pretty sure that I just added it to his collection. :)
K390 will be tougher and hold a super fine edge just as long basically (probably tad more), as well as have a long working edge lifetime if necessary. Of course zdp is more stainless though.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?