Choose my knife (or my fate) for 4 days!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What will my knife be for 4 days in the middle of nowhere?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 am

Endura 4 FFG vg10
14%
Manix 2 LW BD1N
14%
Military s30v
39%
Pacific salt PE
10%
Pacific salt SE
23%

Total votes: 83

prndltech

Re: Choose my knife (or my fate) for 4 days!

Post by prndltech »

Whoa! I’ve had at least 10 mili’s pass through my hands and they were thinner than all the 4 FFG’s at the tip.

The sage 1 had though was twice as thick as the rest at the tip...

Just goes to show variance in production knives...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:00 pm
^^ All else being equal, I 100% agree. Drop point will be stronger.

But Warstein was referencing two different knifes.
You are right in that I did not compare two otherwise totally equal blades, one with a "dropped tip", one with a more acute one.

I also have to admit: I never actually tried if an Endura 4 tip is really stronger than a Millie or PM2 tip, I have Enduras, a PM 2 and a Millie, and did not snap off the tip on any of these models. So, to be honest: Yes, I am just assuming here, (and also summarizing what I read and heard).

But then I use Millie and PM 2 not nearly as often (and as "hard") as my Enduras, just because I personally vastly prefer the Endura family members over the Military family members.

And just by looking at the tips geometrywise and feeling how thin they are (or not) with the fingertips, it seems very obvious too me that the E4 tip must be stronger (and less pointy / less acute).
Furthermore, I can remember several posts where people mention that the PM2 and Millie tips snap of rather (too?) easy, some posts even comparing that specifically to the (stronger) Endura tip. (Though, to be fair, others state, they really beat on their PM2 tips and never damage those).

I just can say: I trust an Endura 4 tip more than a Millie or PM2 tip, while the former still is pointy enough for me for any task. In fact, it´s one of the things I specifically prefer in the Endura over Millie/PM2: It has thinner, more slicey blade stock, but still a stronger tip. I never warmed up to the Millie/PM2 combo of rather thick, very strong (stronger than necessary) blade stock, you could use really hard, but having a tip you have to be quite carefull with (at least I think so. Again, to be fair: I never actually really snapped off a Millie or PM2 tip!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

I've carried versions of all of the knives in the poll on extended trips into the backcountry and all have performed flawlessly -- thanks for designing a ton of killer knives, Spyderco!

I voted for the M2 LW because I've been on a Manix kick lately. It's crazy to me how such a lightweight knife can feel so sturdy and indestructible. Incredible design. The only gripe I have is the ergonomics -- the point on the spine where jimping turns in the smooth blade spine is a little pointy and will give you a blister if you put your thumb there for extended use. Round it down with a file or sharpening stone and you're good to go though!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Looks like the millie won! Take yer lumps and tell us how it goes!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:11 pm
Looks like the millie won! Take yer lumps and tell us how it goes!
I love it... was my companion for years. I’ve put one through a lot. I’m excited to use one with the CQI updates. I’ve already started carrying it :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I didn’t know there was a cqi millie until I got a used cruwear millie off epay and noticed it didn’t look like what I’d seen recently.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Amazing how the only and correct option is voted last :p
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:27 am
Amazing how the only and correct option is voted last :p
Ha! Well, I would say one can’t really go wrong with any of those choices. I was kind of hoping to take a lighter, FRN model... but I do love the military as the total package that it is and I can’t say I’m surprised it’s in the lead.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Well, I’m back. I didn’t come across anything besides basic every day tasks. When I told my friend that went with me that y’all sent me with a military, he decided to take his dragonfly. I also don’t have any pictures, because my phone died on the way out there Wednesday.... BUT it was a good trip and I had to come up with something to do. So I grabbed a small branch that was cedar and commenced to make a walking stick out of it. The dragonfly was actually better than the military for the majority of it! Came across several deer, a whole heard of Aoudads and something else pretty crazy in south Texas that I probably shouldn’t mention on the internet.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:32 pm
Came across several deer
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 pm
prndltech wrote:
Came across several deer
We don’t have moose in Texas :rolleyes:

Is that a reindeer? Or an elk?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Elk
standy99

Post by standy99 »

prndltech wrote:
something else pretty crazy in south Texas that I probably shouldn’t mention on the internet.
00C39FF4-BC10-4B9A-B6FB-388ED3FBCC56.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
jdw

Post by jdw »

A jackalope? I've seen a lot of mounted heads down there. Place must be overrun with them.... :D
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka