In praise of Mr. Ed Schempp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Re: In praise of Mr. Ed Schempp

Post by SolidState »

Martin is Ed's best work.

Aside from Martin, the Rock is the best fixed blade I have ever owned.
Further, Ed has been an excellent adviser and mentor in the knife/steel world to me. I'm lucky enough to chat with him roughly once a year, and the things he has taught me have carried over into many arenas.
He's a true treasure.

I carry my balance a lot too.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll bump this thread because other more recent ones have gotten me wondering why I have no Schempps.

The easy answer is I’m here for Glesser-designs. But I do have a few collaborations that I prize, yet I could name only four collaborators for Spydies I would put in my top five collaborations. Why no Schempp?

Truth be told, I was all primed to get his Tuff based on the prototype images that were circulating (I liked the steel, the blade-angle, the fuller), but then the dimples came (to take off some weight?) and I backed off.

Now I’m all charged up by the Euroedge. What other two Schempps, ethnic or not, are must-haves?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

I still really enjoy carrying the Bowie. I love the steep negative blade angle and it carries really slim with a lot of cutting power for a variety of tasks. It's attractive and the brass bolsters develop a really nice patina. Maybe the best part is that it is still available. I really wish Spyderco would consider doing a Sprint run of either size of the Persian. I love the upswept blade and it makes a great slicer. It's a really fun knife to carry. With a Sprint they could really do some interesting things with the scales and an upgraded steel. Those two would get my vote. I have never owned a Tuff but I also have never owned a Schempp that I didn't love.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My main larger knife is the Schempp Bowie, although it does not carry like a large knife and I carry it frequently. It looks odd and funky to many folks, and in a sense I guess it is, but all the odd funkiness is there for a well considered out reason. Beautiful knife.

Interestingly, all of my Spydercos now are collaborations except for my awesome Para 3 G10 S30V.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'm a fan :)

What is truth? Pontius Pilate
JMM

Post by JMM »

While I was quite underwhelmed by the 3V edge retention performance in the Tuff and didn't hang on to it for long, it's an absolutely brilliant knife design and if that model were ever retrofitted with a different tool steel like 4V or Rex45 I would buy it again in a second.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JMM wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 pm
While I was quite underwhelmed by the 3V edge retention performance in the Tuff and didn't hang on to it for long, it's an absolutely brilliant knife design and if that model were ever retrofitted with a different tool steel like 4V or Rex45 I would buy it again in a second.
The edge retention isn't anything to sneeze at, but it's no S110V. I have come to appreciate what the steel's durability is and it's a bit tongue in cheek to name the knife Tuff. In my opinion it is on par with Strider/Hinderer with the refinement we love from Sal & Ed.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

jdw wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:14 pm
I still really enjoy carrying the Bowie. I love the steep negative blade angle and it carries really slim with a lot of cutting power for a variety of tasks. It's attractive and the brass bolsters develop a really nice patina. Maybe the best part is that it is still available.
Thanks, JDW. The Bowie is now on my list.
MichaelScott wrote: My main larger knife is the Schempp Bowie, although it does not carry like a large knife and I carry it frequently. It looks odd and funky to many folks, and in a sense I guess it is, but all the odd funkiness is there for a well considered out reason. Beautiful knife.
Thanks, Michael. The Bowie Is now on my list.

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:50 pm
Now I’m all charged up by the Euroedge. What other two Schempps, ethnic or not, are must-haves?
Large Persian is probably my favorite design of his. I wish we'd get another sprint run of the bolstered version.

And while I really like the Kris design, I'd probably make my second pick a fixed blade. His Rock Salt/Schempp Rock would be a good candidate for a LC200N version.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

jabba359 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:57 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Large Persian is probably my favorite design of his. I wish we'd get another sprint run of the bolstered version.

And while I really like the Kris design, I'd probably make my second pick a fixed blade. His Rock Salt/Schempp Rock would be a good candidate for a LC200N version.
Thanks, Kyle. I’m targeting the Euroedge, Bowie, and Balance, near-term.

But, like all things in my happy Spyderco experience, I’m probably going to fall off the edge and go for a Persian, a Kris...

What I have failed to grasp fully in my years-long mantra “I’m here for Glesser designs” are three things.

First, the Ethnic series comprises knives that are actually modern and only inflected by the look, feel, and purpose of their historical inspirations, and that IS a Glesser design.

Second, Spyderco collaborations and collaborators happen only within a general Glesser aesthetic, and that IS a Glesser design.

Finally, Ed Schempp is all but a Spyderco employee in his importance to the Glessers, and that IS a Glesser design.

And, so, precisely because I’m here for Glesser designs, I’m now in trouble. My must-haves have broadened.

What a tangled Spydieweb we weave.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:38 am
jabba359 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

But, like all things in my happy Spyderco experience, I’m probably going to fall off the edge and go for a Persian, a Kris...

What I have failed to grasp fully in my years-long mantra “I’m here for Glesser designs” are three things.

First, the Ethnic series comprises knives that are actually modern and only inflected by the look, feel, and purpose of their historical inspirations, and that IS a Glesser design.

Second, Spyderco collaborations and collaborators happen only within a general Glesser aesthetic, and that IS a Glesser design.

Finally, Ed Schempp is all but a Spyderco employee in his importance to the Glessers, and that IS a Glesser design.

And, so, precisely because I’m here for Glesser designs, I’m now in trouble. My must-haves have broadened.

Well, it could be worse. You could be shooting heroin into your eyeballs.

My collection is two Lil’ Lums, one large Lum, one Schempp Bowie, one Swayback and one basic Para 3 G10 S30V. Soon it will be minus a Lil’ Lum, and the large Lum so I will have 3 collaborations from three different designers and one Glesser.

I love my Bowie (yes, I am from Texas, but remember, Texas wants you anyway.)
Apologies to Lyle Lovett.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Speaking of Mr. Schempp, here's a beauty I saw at our local knife shop here... :)

This translates to about $ 160.00. Is it a good deal already?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:41 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:38 am
jabba359 wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

Well, it could be worse. You could be shooting heroin into your eyeballs.

My collection is two Lil’ Lums, one large Lum, one Schempp Bowie, one Swayback and one basic Para 3 G10 S30V. Soon it will be minus a Lil’ Lum, and the large Lum so I will have 3 collaborations from three different designers and one Glesser.

I love my Bowie (yes, I am from Texas, but remember, Texas wants you anyway.)
Apologies to Lyle Lovett.
Stop making me laugh.

Takuan

Post by Takuan »

jabba359 wrote:
His Rock Salt/Schempp Rock would be a good candidate for a LC200N version.
This is a great idea. I could never quite pull the trigger on the Rock Salt because of the poor edge retention of H1 in plain edge, but an LC200N version would be spectacular.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:48 pm
Speaking of Mr. Schempp, here's a beauty I saw at our local knife shop here... :)

It’s an amazing deal. I’d grab it if I were you!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:48 pm

If I ever found one for $160, it would be coming home with me! ;) That's a great deal.
-Nick :bug-red
amar

Post by amar »

Mr. Schempp's best design, IMO, was the Khukuri -- very unique and never attempted by any other reputed knife brand.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am a fan. Several weeks ago I broke down and bought a Kris. It is simply amazing! The Moki build of that era is incredible and the design is just superb.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Please add the Balance to the sprint run list. And the small Persian. There's a knife that wants to cut things.

Ed has accumulated a list of some of the most interesting friends.
sal

Post by sal »

I think the Kris was an exceptional design. The original maker can no longer make it so Eric is working with another maker to see if we can sprint it.

On the Rock, I have and use the original custom piece. Exceptional design!

sal