In praise of Mr. Ed Schempp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

In praise of Mr. Ed Schempp

Post by jdw »

There is always a lot of discussion on the forum of different collaborations with different designers. I wanted to throw some praise Mr. Schempp's way. A few years ago I sold most of my 'Ethnic' collection due to financial difficulties and it is a long and expensive road to reacquire them. In the mean time it has come to show me what an incredible visionary that Ed Schempp is. His unique translation of traditional knives into a carry able pocket knife is second to none, not to dismiss all of the other ethnic design collaborations. I just replaced my Khukuri and I am completely excited.....So next time the latest and greatest release comes out, I would recommend taking that money and buying one of his designs instead. Thank you Mr. Schempp! Just my .02.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
p_atrick

Re: In praise of Mr. Ed Schempp

Post by p_atrick »

Which of his designs would you call "must have"?
jdw

Post by jdw »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am
That's an excellent question. For EDC, I would say the Khukuri that I just replaced. It is amazingly versatile. It's kind of a Delica on funky steroids. For F&F, Taichung absolutely nailed the Euroedge. My personal favorite is his take on the Bowie and is still easily available. I do not understand the physics of it, but the negative blade angle seems to increase slicing ability exponentially, the coffin shaped handle with the CF gives a feeling of absolute safety with use, and the brass bolsters patina beautifully. It is also large enough to double as a camp site cook knife. It's a great question.
--Wovoka
ferider

Post by ferider »

p_atrick wrote:
The Tuff, no question.

Also have the Bowie, but lock stick keeps me from using it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My favorite is the Kris. It just locks in your hand and the shape is much more utilitarian than it seems. I would recommend everyone try it but it's not so easy to find at a reasonable price anymore. I always liked the barong but felt too much edge was lost due to the choil. Wanted to pick one up for a regrind but never got around to it.

I hope the Persian XL is still in the works. I like the style of the persian it's just too small for my hand.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I really wished the Bowie had a backlock, it really looks nice.

I think the Rock is my favorite.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Kris, I change all previous answers to that one!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
jdw

Post by jdw »

ferider wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:49 am
p_atrick wrote:
The Tuff, no question.

I have not owned a Tuff and secondary market prices have kept me from picking one up. Don't give up on your Bowie. The lock stick will go away with use and maintenance.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:52 am

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Kris, I change all previous answers to that one!
I had and have reacquired the Kris. It's really novel and I love the design but I have found it pretty heavy for carry and maybe not as utilitarian as other folks. It is a very beautiful knife though. I feel the same about the red Persian. To me, it's the most beautiful knife that I own but it is like putting a rock in your pocket.
--Wovoka
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

ferider wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:49 am
p_atrick wrote:
The Tuff, no question.

For me it's the Persian/s no doubt. The Tuff is an interesting design, but both the one i own and the ones i have handled have been very stiff action and lock wise

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m a big fan of Ed Schempp’s designs, he is a master at what he does! Really wish I got my hands on a Tuff when it was readily available. Same with the Euroedge, that is such a beautiful design! I’ve had my eye of a Schempp Rock for a bit now too!

As others have mentioned, the Schempp Bowie is a really great design! I was able to get a new one signed and engraved by Ed when I met him at the seconds sale last year! He’s a great guy and it was an awesome opportunity to chat with him for a bit.

Any of his new designs will be on my radar in the future, that’s for sure!
-Nick :bug-red
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've gotten all his designs except for the Tuff and Barong (both of which are too expensive for me nowadays). I have to agree with Larry. If I could only keep a single Schempp designed knife, I'd go with the bolstered Persian (large or small). While I think I like the looks of the Kris just a little more (being so unique), the Persian is also a wonderful looking knife and a bit more practical as a user.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

And speaking of which, are these all the knives he's done with Spyderco?

Persian (large)
Persian (small)
Persian 2 (large)
Persian 2 (small)
Persian (large red handles)
Kris
Khukuri
Barong
Balance CF
Balance SS
Navaja
Schempp Bowie
Tuff
EuroEdge
Equilibrium
Rock Salt
Rock
Rock Salt (orange handles)

and he made the mosaic Damascus for the 25th Anniversary Delica.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

This needs more photos. Equilibrium here. I also have been really impressed with the small Persian and it’s really thin blade. A great slicer.
Attachments
0ED4C277-4A43-4080-8C4D-BA93640F18E2.jpeg
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Sumdumguy wrote:

I always really wanted the rock and kicked myself for not getting one when they were $140 but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I would use it for
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:35 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

I always really wanted the rock and kicked myself for not getting one when they were $140 but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I would use it for
The VG-10 Rock would be in the truck.

I wish they'd do another Salt in LC200N. I would definitely buy that for the emergency bag on my sailboat.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Ed is a pretty cool guy.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

When I met Ed last year at the factory seconds sale it was later in the afternoon and the sale was slowing down. Ed was in the main entrance cleaning up chairs and I think that says a lot about him. We got to chat for a few minutes, I told him how my dad EDCs a Schempp Bowie, he told me his thoughts behind the design. Ed seems like a very humble and kind man.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 am
The Tuff is an interesting design, but both the one i own and the ones i have handled have been very stiff action and lock wise
I like it so much that I have two, one as backup. I got both used, close to new, factory assembled still. The older one has a stronger lock than the newer one (my user); the newer one can easily be flicked - say - like a Ti Military. I'm guessing the later Tuff's had a differently calibrated action compared to earlier ones (due to complaints about detent being too strong and some lock failures ?).

Just the perfect size, I like the curvature when it sits in the pocket, and it's actually surprisingly sleek for such a sturdy knife. Anyways, love the beast, and have a photo too :)

Roland.
acer

Post by acer »

I really like his designs , I have the Euro edge and scheme Bowie , they complement my collection well. I have for now stopped chasing the end of the rainbow, ( trying to collect all in a series, all sprints all variants of a pattern etc ) and am just content with the at least I have a small slice of the cake attitude , well up until I win the lottery anyway😁 still having fun , over and in, out.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Would be nice to get another Schempp design out.
When I was first learning about Spyderco, his designs were Spyderco to me.

Also, the Persian is one of the most elegant folding knife designs ever.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!