Waterway Options Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Waterway Options Poll

Serrated Edge
28%
Orange Handle
49%
DLC coating
14%
None of the Above
10%

Total votes: 103

standy99

Re: Waterway Options Poll

Post by standy99 »

Voted Orange but I want fluorescent Green like the catcherman
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. I’ll offer a couple of my thoughts as well.

First of all, it looks like the high visibility handle would be the preferred addition of the options listed. My feelings are in line with most of yours on that. I have always liked that the Salt knives are available in black or yellow and I own both colors in many of them. I would definitely like a Waterway with a bright handle but I mentioned orange instead of yellow because most of the yellow g10 that I have seen is not very bright and is kind of faded and pasty looking where orange seems to look nice in G10. If there were an frn waterway than that would be the way to open up all kinds of color options. Speaking of FRN Waterways, I probably should have listed that as one of the options in the poll. Haha.

Regarding serrations, I guess it depends. I designed the Waterway with the idea of having a mid size pe knife that could do all of my normal outdoor and kayak tasks and also be capable of pulling fillets from fish. We used LC200n specifically for the increased pe performance. I do sometimes wish I had a SE for certain tasks though. Let me put it this way, if I could only have one Waterway it would definitely be a plain edge but I would love to have a serrated version as my second.

DLC? Meh, I don’t really care. It’s not really needed but I might buy one. I do think it would look pretty cool with black blade/black handle.

One other thing. A couple of folks mentioned the idea of a serrated Siren. That is a knife that I would definitely like to see. I like it that Spyderco has gone back to offering serrated versions of their Golden models like the pm2 and para3 and I feel like a serrated version of the Siren would make a lot of sense. We’ll see.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ric wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 am
Lance, first of all thanks for that great knife.
It’s fun to use and a great design. Also a perfect choice for my first LC200N experience.

I use it primarily in my kitchen.
I do outdoors very seldom and we have no access to the sea, therefore it lives in my kitchen.

I voted for orange and DLC.
Orange first. Please a bright, powerful orange, not a burnt one.
Yellow would be also a perfect color for that knife.

One thing I would appreciate is a less aggressive handle texturing.
When I clean it with a paper kitchen towel its more “dirty” as before ;)
Hey Ric, thanks for the nice words. Regarding the texturing, we went extra aggressive to make the knife secure in wet and bloody hands. It can seem a bit over the top in normal conditions but if you don’t foresee ever needing the heavy texture that is very easy to remedy. You can sand the sides of the handle with some very light grit paper like 220 and quickly take a bit of the “bite” out of it without changing the shape or the look of the handle. It doesn’t take much work since you are only sanding off the points of they texturing. Give it a go with light pressure with high grit paper and you should be able to quickly smooth the texture to your liking.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would really like to see it in a bright green, to set yours apart from the rest of the salt line. I feel that orange makes it look to much like a safety knife, unless you did a dlc coating with it.

As for serrations, I love both PE and SE as well and I think that a combo edge would be nice. Not a typical 50/50 combo edge but maybe only an inch or an inch and a half, just enough if it is ever needed.

I think dlc coatings look cool, but really don’t care either way.

So in all I think a Bright Green G10/DLC Combo Edge Waterway would be awesome!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Of all the choices I think DLC would be the least functional, because LC200N is already totally stainless, and it’s not exactly a tactical blade. I get aesthetics, but at least the other two options have a tangible benefit somehow as well. In my mind, DLC and other coatings have two aims: corrosion protection and making the blade less shiny. Am I missing something, is there another reason for coating LC200N and H1 blades other than aesthetics and the reduced signature in “tactical” situations?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I like all the options listed, so I voted for all of them!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:45 am
another reason for coating LC200N and H1 blades
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:29 pm
Ez556 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:45 am
another reason for coating LC200N and H1 blades
Haha, brilliant!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Mall Ninja's, perfect!
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im at a crossroads. I have and have enjoyed serrated h1 for years. Got a couple pe h1s and as I already knew found edge holding to be lacking. Then lc200n came and ive been going down the road of having a collection of serrated h1 for when I want serrations and pe lc200n for when I dont. However after I get the siren I think ill be set on pe lc200n for a while.
I voted serrations as ive found in my salt series uses im very much shifting back towards just wanting serrations and not thinking about it.
Specifically outside of trying not to butcher a filet off a fish I think id rather just go serrated for when im grabbing one of my salts. I of course say that now that I have plenty of options in both. If im going on the boat or grabbing my dry bag ill have both with me anyway. For a folder doing salt series stuff though serrations all the way. For a fixed blade? I guess one of each would be ideal.
Im partly torn,
a) because of the dedicated filet knife argument. Makes me wonder if a serrated waterway could do everything harder use, and then the dedicated filet knife for fish.
b) because primarily the aqua salt exist and Im just wondering of there would be too much overlap.
Full disclosure I really wish the yellow handle satin finish (not coated) aqua salt was still for sale. Serrated edge of course. As that would be my go to fixed blade serrated beater salt knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

why is it that a coated blade means someone thinks they are tactical or some kind of mall ninja poser? maybe some of us just like a coated blade better. even if it's all aesthetics or they do think it's more tacticool, who cares? there's clearly a market for it and i wish spyderco had more models with coating available. i'd probably have a caribbean already if there was a coated version. my native salt would look much better coated in my opinion. i love that my pacific salt isn't shiny. it doesn't look tactical to me at all, but i think it looks much better than the yellow handle/satin blade version.

i think a coated waterway with yellow scales would look really nice.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

You could sell me just about anything with an orange handle, FYI. Handles are about the only things that excite me these days. I do want this knife and the Siren, but I decided only when there was a non-black version would I open myself up to love again. I haven't bought a knife in over a year. Gimme orange, yellow, seafoam green, anything other than black, and I'll preorder it right now. Unless you coat the blade...
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I chose none of the above. I like the suggestion of the day glo green which seems to be aligned with most who are putting their money down on the orange handle (brightly colored handle). When I think of salt water fish, it is amazing colors and patterns that come to mind.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

It would be purely aesthetic for me but I would love to see orange handles on this.