Waterway Options Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Waterway Options Poll

Serrated Edge
28%
Orange Handle
49%
DLC coating
14%
None of the Above
10%

Total votes: 103

Surfingringo

Waterway Options Poll

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey guys, I have been giving some thought to this for awhile now and figured I would ask for some opinions. I originally designed the Waterway as a PE knife to carry for use on my kayak and other outdoor activities but from the beginning I have imagined having different versions. If I had my choice I would own a Waterway in all of the above configurations (and I would also own one in a tough tool steel to boot for my non salty activities). For the moment though I would love to just hear peoples thoughts on the options mentioned in the poll. Orange (high vis) handle, serrations and DLC coating. You are allowed to pick multiple options in the poll. Anyone have any thoughts?

P.S. This poll is just me enjoying my time here as a fellow forumite and is not the result of any discussions or plans with Spyderco. Just having fun talking about ideas. :spyder:
Pancake

Re: Waterway Options Poll

Post by Pancake »

I voted for orange handles. Looking back I am now a bit surprised that you don't went for orange as a base colour. It's much more visible then black, and if you drop the knife in shallow water it will be easier to spot then black one.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Lance,

voted both orange handle and serrations.

I like bright handles especially in my more outdoorsy knives.

And if the serrations on the Waterway were anything ike the ones on my amazingly performing Endela (and both knives have at least about the same blade stock) , I'd even prefer SE over PE on the Waterway.
Though I personally would still like a good amount of PE towards the tip, let's say about 1.5 to 2.0 cm (around 2/3 of an inch I think).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm far more interested in the folder, but if I were to buy a Waterway I would prefer SE. Although I also think it's a great PE option considering the steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Orange handle
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Oh, yeah, I would love to see orange handles!
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t care for serrated edges or coated blades but I do love an orange handle. Seeing as how this would be a great hunting knife it does seem to fit. Maybe give it a more wear resistant steel? Call it the Mountain Pass (sort of the opposite of a waterway)?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm really happy with mine as is. Out of your options, I'd vote SE, but for an outdoors fixed blade I have a preference for PE so the current version suits me well. I usually keep a SE Pacific Salt with me anyways.

The only thing I've thought about changing is the handle texture. I like it when using the knife, but if it rubs against my skin when carrying it, it's a bit much.

Don't see the need for DLC unless we go with the Rusty Waterway idea proposed a little while back.
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Mister Lance sir ... serrated edge for me ... it's sooo OBVIOUS :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Of your choices I think DLC or orange handle would be cool. I find myself wishing it was the size of the Bow River, especially the handle. Although I'm not sure I'm the target market or that I use the knife how you envisioned
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hey, Lance, I like it as is. I dislike coated metal and, in my new Enuff Salt, have the serrations and handle color I want.

I would ponder a serrated Siren, though...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hi Vis handle would be fantastic.

I don't care about the DLC, and serrations aren't where I'd go with the Waterway design. For me it's more of a cleaning and food prep knife, and serrations are for general utility (especially safety) uses. I prefer a shorter, less pointy blade for that kid of thing (my go-to knives for that are the Enuf salt and the SE snap-it).
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

High vis for sure! The ONLY thing I don't absolutely love about my Waterway is the black handle. I've tied a bright orange lanyard to mine for visibility, but I'd love to go lanyardless.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I picked None, because yellow handle wasn't listed.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I voted orange handle only. (Bright yellow or green would be cool too).

I love serrations on all of my outdoor & fishing knives, I find them invaluable- except for 2 tasks: skinning knives(hunting) and filet knives(fishing).

Given this knife seems to double as a filet knife, I didn’t vote for serrations.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t have any use for a SE knife in the field and I don’t like or need coatings on blades so I voted Orange Handle though I’d much prefer Salt Series Yellow. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Only if it's burnt orange.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Ok I'll start by saying I haven't utilised the Waterway as a game processing tool yet. By the time I got it this year, my freezer was full, and I only hunt for meat, so it will likely have to wait for next year to get a run for that purpose.

I have been giving it a run as a kitchen utility knife, and it actually works very well compared to knives specifically designed for that purpose.

On the orange handles, yeah that makes sense for a second run of the knife. Personally I don't mind the black handles, and I'll just attach a temporary paracord fob in hi-viz orange if I'm working in the bush or dusk. The orange makes it look like more of a 'tool' as well, rather than a stabby device. This is not an issue for most of you in the US, I know, but not all of us are so lucky.

I don't really see the point of DLC for my uses, plus I like to thin out the flats as the knife gets sharpened up towards the spine over time, so it's not really for me. But hey, if it makes the knife more attractive as a Salt knife for military or SD users, then that's all well and good.

On the SE option, again I prefer a really sharp plain edge for game meat processing and food prep. But if it increases the popularity and longevity of the design, then more power to ya. One question I would have Lance, is if you were to design a utility SE fixed blade from scratch, would it have the same edge arc as the PE Waterway? I'm envisaging something with a bit more rake in front of the ricasso, and a little more belly as optimal for SE, but maybe that's just me?

Anyway, so that's why I voted 'none of the above' in terms of 'would I buy another Waterway just for those options?'.

But I do hope this model becomes a perennial best seller, and part of the permanent Salt lineup, so in that sense, the more variations the better.

As soon as you pick this knife up you can feel with the balance and lightness and poise of the design, that it's a serious working tool, that lends itself easily to all the different grips which are commonly used in the field, so whatever gets the Waterway into more hands is good.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

How's about a 3in version.
Maybe call it the Creek. Or Downspout.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Ric

Post by Ric »

Lance, first of all thanks for that great knife.
It’s fun to use and a great design. Also a perfect choice for my first LC200N experience.

I use it primarily in my kitchen.
I do outdoors very seldom and we have no access to the sea, therefore it lives in my kitchen.

I voted for orange and DLC.
Orange first. Please a bright, powerful orange, not a burnt one.
Yellow would be also a perfect color for that knife.

One thing I would appreciate is a less aggressive handle texturing.
When I clean it with a paper kitchen towel its more “dirty” as before ;)