Real police 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fright_Fox

Real police 4?

Post by Fright_Fox »

Hello sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I got my second spyderco yesterday the massive police 4. I’m already in love with everything about it and I’m looking foreword to seeing how this particular steel performs cutting boxes and straps around the warehouse! Anyway I have a few pics so if the experts could tell me if this is the real deal I would appreciate it. :) Thanks, from Malaysia.

https://imgur.com/a/S5cMmHH
sal

Re: Real police 4?

Post by sal »

Hi Fright_Fox,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Looks good to me! Enjoy putting that to work, its one of the best designs Spyderco has put out!
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Fright fox!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

That looks very much genuine. I got a P4 an few months ago and it is a wonderful slicer. Enjoy! Just make sure to dry the blade after use.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I would say it's real, if you have to sharpen it this year it's fake! In all seriousness I wouldn't have any issue buying it from you I'm that sure.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

First... where did you buy it?

Something looks very off to me. Look at those pits at the opening hole. And then look at those grind lines near the top of the pic. But those pits alone are screaming "fake" to me. Nobody else thinks so?

Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Something looks very off to me. Look at those pits at the opening hole. And then look at those grind lines near the top of the pic. But those pits alone are screaming "fake" to me. Nobody else thinks so?

Hello, I got it new from a camping store that stocks a few Endura and paramilitary/military models.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

BornIn1500 wrote:

Hello sir thanks for responding! It’s from a well reputed camping store but it cost a lot so I just had to make sure it’s real. I think those marks were dust or grime. I used it today and it’s already developing a rainbow colouring...is this good? I wiped it with a rag and some wd40 and then put a coat of marine rug cloth over it. I’ve added more pics before I cleaned it. It excelled at disassembling boxes though I think my first spyderco (delica 4) is better suited as this thing is a pocket sword but I love it already.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Also this thing is absolutely razor sharp from the factory!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

BornIn1500 wrote:

Zoomed in, it looks like oil and dust, instead of putting. The grind lines you mentioned, appear to be scratches or oil that was given a quick swipe with the thumb and index finger, leaving behind lines of oil. Whatever it is, the lines are too inconsistent to be grind lines, and the actual grind lines can be seen under the scratches, going the correct way.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:43 am

Zoomed in, it looks like oil and dust, instead of putting. The grind lines you mentioned, appear to be scratches or oil that was given a quick swipe with the thumb and index finger, leaving behind lines of oil. Whatever it is, the lines are too inconsistent to be grind lines, and the actual grind lines can be seen under the scratches, going the correct way.

Did you go to his original post and click on his Imgur gallery? You can get a closer zoomed in picture there. It really does look like pitting to me. You can even see the light reflecting in the little divots. It looks identical to the pitting I've seen on knockoffs coming out of China with their cheap steels. I'm unaware of such major flaws in Spyderco's K390. I'm sure we would have heard about it.

As far as the grind lines, I really was referring to the grind and not the scratches. But seeing as how OP is in Malaysia, never said where he bought it nor what he paid for it, and was skeptical enough to find this forum and make the post.... I'd say it's highly likely he didn't get the knife from a reputable source (and Malaysia is fairly close to the south side of China). All signs are pointing to a fake for me.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 am
Albatross wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:43 am

Did you go to his original post and click on his Imgur gallery? You can get a closer zoomed in picture there. It really does look like pitting to me. You can even see the light reflecting in the little divots. It looks identical to the pitting I've seen on knockoffs coming out of China with their cheap steels. I'm unaware of such major flaws in Spyderco's K390. I'm sure we would have heard about it.

As far as the grind lines, I really was referring to the grind and not the scratches. They look a lot more crude than any Spyderco I've seen. Which is again identical to Chinese knockoffs. And seeing as how OP is in Malaysia, never said where he bought it nor what he paid for it, and was skeptical enough to find this forum and make the post.... I'd say it's highly likely he didn't get the knife from a reputable source (and Malaysia is fairly close to the south side of China). All signs are pointing to a fake for me.
No, but I went to the originals just now and you are right, it does look a bit more like pitting, but I'm still not 100% sure. The grind lines are a quite odd, but the 2 issues don't necessarily make this a fake. It could have been a Monday.

Maybe a look at the back of the box would shed some more light on the situation. I recieved a fake Delica from Amazon a while back(no, I didn't pay attention to the warnings) and the back of the box was one of the biggest red flags. Lots of typical Chinese clone errors in the writing.
Last edited by Albatross on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Imperfections on the blade aren't necessarily an indicator of fakery to me; my P4's blade sports some rough finishing, and others have said the same thing. It's not that big a deal, but it does happen, and in my view nothing about the blade surface in that pic demonstrates that the knife is not legit.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 pm
Looks good to me! Enjoy putting that to work, its one of the best designs Spyderco has put out!
It’s definitely a work of art!
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Some pics after I wiped it down!

https://imgur.com/a/ag1gEBc
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

This rainbow patina has also formed in one day of work though it did get some sweat on it.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

The patina is normal. K390 corrodes very very easily. I've had patina/rust spots develop from carrying mine in my shorts pocket on a 30 minute walk on a warm day. Just make sure the blade is kept dry and oil as needed.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The new pics are reassuring. Looks legit.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Yea the new pics show it must have just been some dirt with a strange glare. And now the rainbow sheen. I'm not skeptical anymore.