SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
confucius

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by confucius »

I also prefer SE. I'm normally carrying this PM2, but sometimes the Para 3. I like the spiky serrations, particularly for opening boxes or cutting tape. I put a single serration on the edge and just drag it.

JB Dix

Post by JB Dix »

Hi from the Great White North! This is a great thread - I am glad I found it.

I got into Spyderco on my last deployment - I picked up a DLC Shaman for carry in the field and a PM2 for EDC. Somehow I have 14 Spyderco knives now. I just picked up a Pacific Salt 2 in LC 200 N, but I was a little worried about sharpening the SE. I wanted a folding knife for my Kayaking vest (for when the ice melts) to replace an older fixed blade and try and trim down all the kit hanging on my vest. I have been caught up in fishing line and net before and know just how well a SE works on that mess.

I have gotten more into sharpening the last few years and picked up a TR Maker guided system that uses Edge Pro stones. I was planning on just using the 400F stones. Based on what I learned here, I used the Salt SE as an excuse to get a Sharpmaker. I've been practicing on some SE bread knives (as well as edge maintenance on all the kitchen knives) and I am impressed so far.

Now I think I might need another SE...
Take heed, dear heart, of this large privilege; The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge. — William Shakespeare
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JB Dix:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JB Dix

Post by JB Dix »

Thanks, Mike!

Like I said, been thinking about another SE and I happened to come across a guy selling an early Rescue on the local buy-and-sell. He said it had been sitting in a sock drawer since he bought it and never carried or used. The box was gone, but it still had the Edge-u-cation insert. He let me have it for $80 (~$63 USD)!

It is the plastic clip and the logo says "clipit" with AUS-8A steel. It's my first "classic" Spyderco.

I love new knife day...
Take heed, dear heart, of this large privilege; The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge. — William Shakespeare
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JB Dix,

Thanx for your service, and thanx for your interest and support in our products, and company.

The Rescue model that you have was made decades ago.('90's) It's actually a collectors item. The current Rescue's (VG-10, H1) are better performers with improved geometries. Just a thought to share.

sal
JB Dix

Post by JB Dix »

Sal,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can tell you know how valuable positive engagement is, and I am very happy to support Spyderco. I am also pretty happy to add the Rescue to small but growing collection! Based on this thread, I completed my Native family with a Lil' Native with a SpyderEdge. I have a Pac Salt 2 in LC200N and will likely end up with another Salt before long.

Cheers!
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

David,
Do you think Sal will allow users that like SE knives to try other patterns? Like the choices of steel’s and such on the sprints.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

USMC-88 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:42 am
David,
Do you think Sal will allow users that like SE knives to try other patterns? Like the choices of steel’s and such on the sprints.

I like that idea but I also know Sal and the gang have done a lot of research on serration patterns, and I'm sure they've arrived where we are today for good reason. The large/small, small/large pattern is basically an industry standard at this point with most companies doing the same basic pattern. Sal did mention something about the K390 models, about having to convince the factory to run the serrations thinner so there does seem to be some push to advance serrations in general. I would be all for exploring different patterns but again I'm not sure how likely it is. I'd like to try a pattern with only large serrations, and a patter where all the serrations are maybe 50% longer. It would be really cool to see something like a SE Mule program that explored this, even if they all used the same steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi USMC,

As David mentioned, we have done much research. We're open, but cautiously so.

Hey David,

Our current bread knife has only large serrations. Our K04 & K05 have different serrations. We all know that the teeth protect the edge (recessed) from hitting the cutting board but now we have one longer tooth to protect the other two teeth.

sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:40 am
USMC-88 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:42 am
David,

I like that idea but I also know Sal and the gang have done a lot of research on serration patterns, and I'm sure they've arrived where we are today for good reason. The large/small, small/large pattern is basically an industry standard at this point with most companies doing the same basic pattern. Sal did mention something about the K390 models, about having to convince the factory to run the serrations thinner so there does seem to be some push to advance serrations in general. I would be all for exploring different patterns but again I'm not sure how likely it is. I'd like to try a pattern with only large serrations, and a patter where all the serrations are maybe 50% longer. It would be really cool to see something like a SE Mule program that explored this, even if they all used the same steel.
One day when I actually decide to hold myself to it and get a thread going about “Nature’s Teeth”, as Sal put it so elegantly, I’ll talk about the various morphologies of serrations found in the teeth of animals.
I’ve been steadily gathering info, learning more, and thinking of new ideas yet haven’t consolidated all of it.
Teeth are complex and fascinating structures right back to their mysterious and surprising origins.

Perhaps I can provide a snack for our thoughts.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:22 am

One day when I actually decide to hold myself to it and get a thread going about “Nature’s Teeth”, as Sal put it so elegantly, I’ll talk about the various morphologies of serrations found in the teeth of animals.
I’ve been steadily gathering info, learning more, and thinking of new ideas yet haven’t consolidated all of it.
Teeth are complex and fascinating structures right back to their mysterious and surprising origins.

Perhaps I can provide a snack for our thoughts.

Sounds interesting and I'm already looking forward to it! :grin-big eyes
•• Beau
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cl1ff,

Sounds great. Looking forward to it.

sal
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

I get it!
I have a knife that I carried in the service that is SE. The serrations are very similar to Spyderco but shorter in depth. Of course now they are worn and smoothed out like David’s after re-profiling.
I feel that (for me) they are necessary because when I need them it’s usually a mater of, I need this cut now! I have never been failed by serrations to cut now….. plain edge not so much, it might take two cuts. I didn’t have time for that. So a SE is usually on my body. I haven’t gone full serrations yet still working with combo’s.
Thanks Sal and crew for all you give for these tools it’s needed and appreciated greatly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

USMC-88 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:29 am
I get it!
I have a knife that I carried in the service that is SE. The serrations are very similar to Spyderco but shorter in depth. Of course now they are worn and smoothed out like David’s after re-profiling.
I feel that (for me) they are necessary because when I need them it’s usually a mater of, I need this cut now! I have never been failed by serrations to cut now….. plain edge not so much, it might take two cuts. I didn’t have time for that. So a SE is usually on my body. I haven’t gone full serrations yet still working with combo’s.
Thanks Sal and crew for all you give for these tools it’s needed and appreciated greatly.

This is the main reason I use them, I can't afford multiple cuts. I've had extremely sharp plain edge blades slide off material and need follow up cuts, but that never happens with serrations. If it's possible to cut in one motion, it'll get cut in one motion.
~David
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

Exactly!

My little lady had gum in her hair and I tried to cut it with a Cruwear blade. I have good sharpening abilities at this point. It was razor sharp. Slid off and never even cut a single hair. I did go get shearers, I didn’t think she would like a serrated blade doing it after that.
Mickiratt

Post by Mickiratt »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:28 am
USMC-88 wrote:
I get it!

This is the main reason I use them, I can't afford multiple cuts. I've had extremely sharp plain edge blades slide off material and need follow up cuts, but that never happens with serrations. If it's possible to cut in one motion, it'll get cut in one motion.
I have a pretty decent collection of high end knives at this point. I'd say that approximately 1/3 of them are Spyderco's. Also, at this point, I only own two serrated blade knives, both spyderco's. Both of them were purchased within the last couple weeks. I'm sold on the utility attributes of them...thanks mostly to posts that influenced me by David (Evil D)...😁
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

Mickiratt wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:58 pm
Evil D wrote:
USMC-88 wrote:
I get it!

I have a pretty decent collection of high end knives at this point. I'd say that approximately 1/3 of them are Spyderco's. Also, at this point, I only own two serrated blade knives, both spyderco's. Both of them were purchased within the last couple weeks. I'm sold on the utility attributes of them...thanks mostly to posts that influenced me by David (Evil D)...😁
NICE! Sal I vote Dave in on the marketing team
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:

I had some SE knives but didn’t get them until I had to use a Ladybug as my retail job knife in a non-knife friendly environment (I just picked a small one to thrash I could lose and not cry over). With some practice breaking down boxes it cut like a knife twice it’s blade length and after two years never got dull. Occasionally I’d spend a couple minutes with a 701 profile stone but never out of necessity…and it was back to scary sharp with little effort.

People see SE like saw blades. They aren’t. You can make a clean cut by dragging a scallop (rather than sawing). They are slow to dull and easy to repair. They look weird but many functional things do. Like a camel in Egypt…sure, it’s odd…but it won’t leave you stranded.
Last edited by Blerv on Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Duplicate post
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Evil D wrote:

I had some SE knives but didn’t get them until I had to use a Ladybug as my retail job knife in a non-knife friendly environment (I just picked a small one to thrash I could lose and not cry over). With some practice breaking down boxes it cut like a knife twice it’s blade length and after two years never got dull. Occasionally I’d spend a couple minutes with a 701 profile stone but never out of necessity…and it was back to scary sharp with little effort.

People see SE like saw blades. They aren’t. You can make a clean cut by dragging a scallop (rather than sawing). They are slow to dull and easy to repair. They look weird but many functional things do. Like a camel in Egypt…sure, it’s odd…but it won’t leave you stranded.

I see this a lot and it just shows that people don't understand how serrations OR saws cut. A saw has several independent edges that cut and remove small amounts of material per pass, while SE is essential one edge with points interrupting it, and when you reprofile them and blend the tips into edges you end up with literally a single continuous edge that is closer to a sort of micro kris than a saw. You can cut all day but you won't get sawdust from cutting with a Caribbean.
~David