SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrHE

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by DrHE »

Pac Salt 2 in LC200N is just amazing as it’s basically a flat grind style blade with the SE. I have a old linen strop that keeps it hyper keen. The only thing you need to watch for is making sure nothing you don’t want cut is near the blade because it just cuts though anything. You can Push, pull or just shove it down through the material with weight behind it and away it goes.

Every time I use it I am impressed. I have a ton of Spyderco PE blades I edc and I love them. If I had to just own one that Pac Salt 2 cuts anything that needs cut.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:59 pm
Ok so here's my progress with my dragonfly. I spent about 2 hours on the cbn rods on the sharpmaker, 15 degrees per side. I used barely any pressure, just enough pressure to make sure the blade was in constant contact. I moved back and forth to get both sides of the serrations. After the cbn rods I spent maybe 5 minutes each on the browns and fine. Same pressure.

I also spent a little bit of time running the knife perpendicular to the flat surface of the rods to round the serrations. Same like pressure. Probably spent 3-5 minutes total on that activity on the diamond rods. Do others do that? or just do the normal sharpening to round the serration points?

I think I probably still have a ways to go... some of the photos on here have reprofiled far more than I have. That said, the performance is night and day better. This went from my worst knife which snagged on everything (which I kept for sentimental reasons because it was my first), to something that glides through cardboard, glides through plastic bottles, glides through paper. I didn't know serrations could be this good.

Before:

After:
Hi Seth,

I have never tried blunting the points in the manner you describe above. Steady reprofiling of the scallop side will eventually round the points by itself. It takes a long time if you are reprofiling to 15 degrees from a factory bevel of, say, 20 degrees. The reason is that you start with the shoulders and gradually grind down to the apex. As you proceed, apparent progress gets slower because you’re removing more width of steel as you near the apex. The results are worth the time it takes.

If you watch the Sharpmaker video from Spyderco it shows how to sharpen serrations. For every 5-10 strokes on the scalloped side at 15 degrees (or 20, if that’s your preference) you do a single stroke on the back (flat) side almost parallel to the primary bevel to knock off any burr. This way you maintain a very acute final bevel of 17-18 degrees, instead of the 30 degrees you’ll get by grinding both sides equally.

The pushing and pulling on the scalloped side is good for profiling every part of the scallops equally.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Thanks Bill. I should have just been more patient. That said, I'm pretty happy with the results, so I don't think I did too much damage!
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

I read this post. I considered the words. I thought about it, decided "this guy is off his rocker", then I thought about it again, then I ordered a fully SE Native 5, and I'll be damned if I'm not fully in love with SE now. Wish to **** they made SE versions (or at least combo blades) of EVERY model. Can you image a Yojumbo Wharncliffe full SE??? I hope someone at Spyderco is paying attention.

Thank you for opening my eyes!
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wish I took pictures, but I didn't. I just had to cut some thick HDPE piping so i could fit it in my vehicle. All I had on me were the H1 serrated dragonfly from above, and my K390 PE endela. I had just done 3 hours of cardboard cutting on the endela last night (and haven't sharpened it in a while anway), so it's in need of a sharpening, but I could not get through the tubing with it. Just slipping. The dragonfly cut right through it (sawed through, no pushcuts on this stuff). Only complaint is I kept getting snagged up on the spydiehole. I wish I had my vg-10 SE endela on me. That would have been fun to experiment with.
sal

Post by sal »

We've been delivering very sharp serrated edges since 1982. They take a while to really appreciate, and the Sharpmaker actually makes a better performer than new (in this thread), We call them "high performance matter separators". Glad you are enjoying them.

Hi SpyderForLyfe,

Of course we're paying attention. If Michael wants teeth on his Yojumbo, we'd make it. We'll watch the thread.

sal
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Wow a Yojimbo (or Yojimbo) with a SE edge would be utterly amazing. Count me IN! I am already a fan of this design!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
TheFalseNegativeOne

Post by TheFalseNegativeOne »

I also had my introduction to Spyderco through the $83 Walmart Native (a knife i still carry; was on me today at work). And I also try to only buy/carry serrated edges because of their functionality. Hardest part is finding truly good serrated edges in premium steals. I would love to get a 4V St Nick's G10 Native 5 with SE. I don't think I would ever need to buy another knife. Even better would be a K390 Native 5 with SE.
Nice post!
TheFalseNegativeOne

Post by TheFalseNegativeOne »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:22 pm
I read this post. I considered the words. I thought about it, decided "this guy is off his rocker", then I thought about it again, then I ordered a fully SE Native 5, and I'll be damned if I'm not fully in love with SE now. Wish to **** they made SE versions (or at least combo blades) of EVERY model. Can you image a Yojumbo Wharncliffe full SE??? I hope someone at Spyderco is paying attention.

Thank you for opening my eyes!
I honestly wish every model had the option for full SE. Spyderco really needs a custom shop...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear TheFalseNegativeOne:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
MW99

Post by MW99 »

I'm another one influenced by this thread. I wanted a new knife specifically for the toolbox, and decided on a Pac Salt 2 in LC200N with a Wharncliffe blade. DrHE is absolutely correct - if it touches it, it cuts it, my thumb included. Lesson learned, but I am extremely impressed with this knife. Before this my only SE knives were a Matriarch (which doesn't really count) and an original Delica Clipit from way back when they still said "Patent Pending." Thank you all for the great advice!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear MW99:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
.... I spent about 2 hours on the cbn rods on the sharpmaker, 15 degrees per side.

Just out of interest: You don´t mean literally "15 degrees per SIDE", correct? But rather just on one side?

Or did you actually try to give it an 30 inclusive angle (and so make ithe angle a lot less acute as it comes from the factory)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:06 am
sethwm wrote:
.... I spent about 2 hours on the cbn rods on the sharpmaker, 15 degrees per side.

Just out of interest: You don´t mean literally "15 degrees per SIDE", correct? But rather just on one side?

Or did you actually try to give it an 30 inclusive angle (and so make ithe angle a lot less acute as it comes from the factory)?
Good clarification. I don't give it a 30 degree inclusive angle. 15 degrees on the chisel side, then a pass or two at nearly 0 degree angle on the back side to clip the burr.
Rusty_Shackelford

Post by Rusty_Shackelford »

I avoided any knife with serrations like the plague for fear of sharpening. This thread encouraged me to try out a SE Pacific. I used it this week while replacing exterior water line at our house. In the process of digging the trench, we cut a black corrugated plastic line. I’m making repairs on the line, the SE cut the pipe amazingly quickly. So much faster than any straight edge would have. As a bonus, being LC200N, I didn’t have to worry about corrosion no matter how sweaty I got. I may be hooked.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Which knife has the most vicious serrations? after receiving my first SE Im thinking about getting another. A few of my considerations are:
1. Sheepfoot Caribbean
2. K390 Police
3. Still open to others.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:00 pm
Which knife has the most vicious serrations? after receiving my first SE Im thinking about getting another. A few of my considerations are:
1. Sheepfoot Caribbean
2. K390 Police
3. Still open to others.

Putting serration styles aside, think of this in terms of which knife will cut more viscously. For me any knife that is shaped in a way that increases pull cutting ability also tends to increase serration performance, so knives with straighter edges and negative blade angles do really well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
1. Sheepfoot Caribbean
2. K390 Police
3. Still open to others.

Putting serration styles aside, think of this in terms of which knife will cut more viscously. For me any knife that is shaped in a way that increases pull cutting ability also tends to increase serration performance, so knives with straighter edges and negative blade angles do really well.
I would really like a k390 SE Wharncliff but idk if they offer that in any of the Blue models.
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:
1. Sheepfoot Caribbean
2. K390 Police
3. Still open to others.

I would really like a k390 SE Wharncliff but idk if they offer that in any of the Blue models.

Not yet that I'm aware of. The Police 4 still has a fairly negative blade angle and a shallow enough belly that it still cuts very aggressively. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:46 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Jurmuscle wrote:
1. Sheepfoot Caribbean
2. K390 Police
3. Still open to others.

Not yet that I'm aware of. The Police 4 still has a fairly negative blade angle and a shallow enough belly that it still cuts very aggressively. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
What are your thoughts on the Sheepfoot Carribian.

-Tom