SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:16 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 pm
Hey Warty, thanks for being so welcoming and warm when I joined, I appreciate it, you're a credit to this forum, I enjoy and learn plenty from your posts.
Thanks mate

Thanks for your kind words my friend! :)
And glad you like my posts, though still keep in mind: While I do post a lot, I am certainly not one of the really experienced and knowledgeable members here.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 pm
Hey Warty, thanks for being so welcoming and warm when I joined, I appreciate it, you're a credit to this forum, I enjoy and learn plenty from your posts.
Thanks mate

Thanks for your kind words my friend! :)
And glad you like my posts, though still keep in mind: While I do post a lot, I am certainly not one of the really experienced and knowledgeable members here.
I think you might be being modest mate, ive been reading your posts and you seem to know a **** of a lot about knives and steel.
Hope you don't mind me sponging it up bro.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
I think you might be being modest mate, ive been reading your posts and you seem to know a **** of a lot about knives and steel.
Thanks again! / I´ll pm you, so to not derail this thread - but it is just honest, not modest to say that I am not a steel expert at all. Just learning from all the great people here who share their knowledge.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:10 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Thanks again! / I´ll pm you, so to not derail this thread - but it is just honest, not modest to say that I am not a steel expert at all. Just learning from all the great people here who share their knowledge.
Cheers and thanks mate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:41 am

How are you liking it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would like to know, too. I’ve never owned a SE knife in S30V, and would like to know how it holds up, compared to other steels in SE.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:38 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:41 am

How are you liking it?
Sorry D, I missed this somehow.

I am actually loving it. Modding the serrations was brilliant. It took a little work and it was a bit of a leap of faith as I felt like I was putting years of sharpening on a new knife but since I bought it used for a good price I had less to lose.

Edge retention seems good and the cutting aggression is impressive. It also seems very easy to touch up on the sharpmaker now that the serrations are toned down. I have been carrying it almost every day for quite a while now and it hasn’t left me wanting anything else.

I hope this thread inspires others to tweak their serrations to their liking. As a plain edge fan it was key for me to get rid of almost any and all snagging which I think I did a pretty good job of.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

James Y wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:20 pm
I would like to know, too. I’ve never owned a SE knife in S30V, and would like to know how it holds up, compared to other steels in SE.

Jim
I wish I could say more about the steel choice but I don’t have much experience with other serrated steels. It does seem to cut aggressively for a long time but that would be expected considering it is 15 dps on the serrated side giving it an inclusive angle that is probably under 20 degrees. It has been very easy to touch up on the sharpmaker.

It has been durable enough. It has survived quite a few zip ties and some accidental contact with metal unscathed. I did have the smallest microchip at the tip when cutting some thick rubber gasket material to make a custom gasket at work. I was trying to cut out small circular holes for the bolt holes and I was pressing very hard. It is hard to describe just how thick and tough this material is and I was certainly pressing the tip into the wood below and twisting the cut. The chip was very difficult to see and only a knife geek would have really even noticed. I am sure it will sharpen out quickly. I trust this knife’s durability.
-Darby
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I am almost done reprofiling my SE saber-ground Endura 4 to 30º on the Sharpmaker with the CBN rods. Well, 15º on the scalloped side and whatever angle the back is ground at, maybe 5º? The scallops are maybe three times as tall now and the points are wavy. I have a little more grinding to do on the inch closest to the handle to reach apex inside the scallops there. I have spent more than an hour actually stroking that CBN rod, over the course of several weeks, possibly two hours. I'm really looking forward to using the brown rods soon! I have had this Endura for years and almost never used it because I didn't like how it cut. It was paper-slicing sharp, but not a great cutter for my needs. I'm curious to see how I like it after the edge is done.

I did the same thing to my Ladybug hawkbill Salt, but it took a tiny fraction of the time. H-1 sharpens much easier than VG-10, and the angle might have been closer to start with, though the scallops gained a lot of height on that blade, too.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Darby,

It does seem to be a tough SOB. Thanx for sharing.

Hey Bill, let us know your thoughts after using it?

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:20 am
Thanx Darby,

sal
Yes sir, I will report back. I’ve been grinding past my bedtime because I’m so close to reaching that last bit of apex near the handle. CBN rods are doing well despite very heavy use on the corners.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:22 pm
I am almost done reprofiling my SE saber-ground Endura 4 to 30º on the Sharpmaker with the CBN rods. Well, 15º on the scalloped side and whatever angle the back is ground at, maybe 5º? The scallops are maybe three times as tall now and the points are wavy. I have a little more grinding to do on the inch closest to the handle to reach apex inside the scallops there. I have spent more than an hour actually stroking that CBN rod, over the course of several weeks, possibly two hours. I'm really looking forward to using the brown rods soon! I have had this Endura for years and almost never used it because I didn't like how it cut. It was paper-slicing sharp, but not a great cutter for my needs. I'm curious to see how I like it after the edge is done.
Also curious how it will cut for you overall when you´re done!

The steeper secondary bevel certainly will do much better, but of course it will not change the rather obtuse primary bevel (I mean the one that starts below the upper sabre grind part of the blade) and it will not change the fact that higher up on the blade wider material will hit the shoulders that are a nature of the sabre grind.

On the other hand: On a more obtuse primary bevel: A 15 degree angle on the secondary bevel will go higher up the blade than on a more acute primary bevel. So will hit that first "shoulder" later, which should be great in things like flatter whittling or cutting stuff with not too much diameter.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:28 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:22 pm
Also curious how it will cut for you overall when you´re done!

The steeper secondary bevel certainly will do much better, but of course it will not change the rather obtuse primary bevel (I mean the one that starts below the upper sabre grind part of the blade) and it will not change the fact that higher up on the blade wider material will hit the shoulders that are a nature of the sabre grind.

On the other hand: On a more obtuse primary bevel: A 15 degree angle on the secondary bevel will go higher up the blade than on a more acute primary bevel. So will hit that first "shoulder" later, which should be great in things like flatter whittling or cutting stuff with not too much diameter.
I know what you mean about the inflection point at the shoulders. I will try it with shoulders intact before making any further modifications. However, I own two saber ground Delicas that I convexed by hand to eliminate the shoulders and it made a huge difference in how they cut. I prefer FFG knives, but my history with Spyderco extends back to a time before the Delica and Endura were available in FFG.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

went to the aquarium today. if anyone is still on the fence about serrations, the great white wants you to know that they are definitely the way to go.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:20 am
Thanx Darby,

sal
That re-profile job took longer than anticipated. Today I carried my Endura 4 SE for the first time since reprofiling the serrations to 15 degrees. I took it up through the fine rods and it’ll push cut paper.

The scallops are now about 1/4” high up the primary bevel, and the teeth are very wavy. I was trimming some Jade plants that had engulfed my mailbox and sawing at them wasn’t super effective compared with my PE FFG E4, most likely due to the greater thickness at the spine and the steeper ramp of the saber grind. Then I thought, “Hmm, this’ll push cut paper. What if I chop at the jade?” So I did and it worked beautifully. Jade is very soft, similar to celery stalks. I haven’t tried the Endura in my kitchen and likely won’t. We have thinner knives much better suited to food prep.

Later I tried to cut the end off a heavy 2” diameter cardboard mailing tube. It bit in well but wedging stopped it before it got through. With great force I could have gotten through, but it didn’t feel safe to do that where I had it, and I had to get to work for a client. There was a metal pipe inside the tube.

It does great cutting plastic film, whether free or against a backing of cellulose. One great feature of SE is its ability to initiate a cut from the belly where a PE wants the tip to concentrate force. Even wavy serrations do a great job at this. Another great quality is how the scallops “trap” a free-hanging film so it doesn’t run away while being cut. The same dynamic applies in corrugated, which I haven’t tested with this knife yet.

I’m so sorry my SE Endela went missing, because it was the ideal FFG testbed. My Caribbean SE works so well with its 20-degree scallop bevel that I’m loath to mess with it, at least for now. I’ll keep carrying the SE E4 and report back as it encounters other tasks. I want to try shaving softwood.

Edited to add: Hooray!! I just found my Endela! It was wedged in the upholstery of a reclining chair along with my spare truck keys. What a relief after many weeks!
Last edited by Bill1170 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:33 pm
went to the aquarium today. if anyone is still on the fence about serrations, the great white wants you to know that they are definitely the way to go.
One day I’d like to get around to making a thread about natural serrations in which sharks will get a starring role!
The thread will ideally cover serrations’ entire known history from origins before the Dinosaurs, hundreds of millions of years ago in the Permian, to the modern day within our context of Spyderco knives.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

VG-10 lasts a lot longer at the PE tip of an SE blade than H-1 does. My Pacific Salt frustrated me with rapid dulling of the tip area.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
One day I’d like to get around to making a thread about natural serrations in which sharks will get a starring role!
The thread will ideally cover serrations’ entire known history from origins before the Dinosaurs, hundreds of millions of years ago in the Permian, to the modern day within our context of Spyderco knives.

No doubt early man mimicked animal teeth when they first figured out flint knapping.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

No doubt early man mimicked animal teeth when they first figured out flint knapping.
I might just have an example of that ready for when I write the thread ;)
Don’t want to spoil too much though!
Last edited by Cl1ff on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: