SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by Wartstein »

mongo1958 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:32 am
My overall impressions of the Tenacious are favorable. The blade is freak'n sharp.
In comparison to my Parra 3, the Tenacious is a bit heavier. The blade of the Tenacious is a bit longer than the Para 3 with the handle being close to the same size.

Glad you like it!
Also, as you shared in another post, the serrations!

What's really nice with the Tenacious: How much cutting edge one gets to work with! By Spydercos specs almost as much as with the Endura (86 vs 88 mm), when I measure my Tenaciouses resp. my Enduras even the same amount of edge.

Again, just in case this should make you want to try more "teeth": I can really recommend Endela SE and Stretch XL SE! For me they perform even better than the Tenacious SE.

And should you really get into the Tenacious platform: There is the S35VN LW version in plain edge and combo edge. For me one of the best "bang for the buck" Spydies out there. Mine is absolutely flawless and the steel really nice!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

I got the tenacious because of the blade length and the cost was very affordable. It seemed like a good choice for my first SE. I did't want to spend a lot for something I didn't like once I get it home. Holding the Tenacious blade up to my PM2, they are very close in length and curvature. There is one flaw, the edges of the Spyder hole are a bit sharp.
SE part 2: Anyway, I came close to getting the Endura or the Endela but I kept looking at the Native 5. the blade shape and handle remind me of the Shaman. I should receive it around Thursday. 😏
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The edges on the SpydieHole are left a bit sharp as an aid to deployment.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:30 pm
I got the tenacious because of the blade length and the cost was very affordable. It seemed like a good choice for my first SE. I did't want to spend a lot for something I didn't like once I get it home. Holding the Tenacious blade up to my PM2, they are very close in length and curvature. There is one flaw, the edges of the Spyder hole are a bit sharp.
SE part 2: Anyway, I came close to getting the Endura or the Endela but I kept looking at the Native 5. the blade shape and handle remind me of the Shaman. I should receive it around Thursday. 😏
]
Yep, but the Tenacious offers clearly more cutting edge than the PM2. On the flip side no choil though, so it is a matter of preferances.

/ The two Natives I had were in PE, so I can't really talk about the SE, but I'd think it has very nice serrations! Good choice!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mongo1958 wrote:
...but I kept looking at the Native 5. the blade shape and handle remind me of the Shaman. I should receive it around Thursday. 😏

Mongo, are you actually getting an S35VN Native, like the one in the pic?!

They were made in that steel once, but switched to S30V quite some time ago.

(My LW was in S35VN, and honestly: I don't think I can feel a difference to S30V).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:13 pm
mongo1958 wrote:
...but I kept looking at the Native 5. the blade shape and handle remind me of the Shaman. I should receive it around Thursday. 😏

Mongo, are you actuslly getting an S35VN Native, like the one in the pic?!

They were made in that steel once, but switched to S30V quite some time ago.

(My LW was in S35VN, and honestly: I don't think I can feel a difference to S30V).
Umm, I am not sure. Let me check....
Yup: 1 × Spyderco C41SBK5 Native 5, 3.10" CPM S35VN, FRN Handle.
However, even if it is S30V, I'm good.
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Okay, you guys have finally broken my resolve. I'm trying to decide on my first fully serrated Spyderco (I bought two combo edge, G-10 Tenacious...es to keep as emergency blades in my truck and my wife's car a couple of years ago).

Anyway, right now I'm debating the Police 4 and Endura 4, both in K390 SE. I'm really enjoying my K390 PM2 and want more of that steel. The Cruwear/G-10 S2XL really changed my perspective on carrying larger knives as well. Normally my edc is around 3", maybe 3.5" (for the last 2 days I've had my 2.6" Pro-Tech SBR in pocket, love that little guy).

I still want a Harpy and I've also put a Matriarch on my "someday" list mostly out of curiosity. I've currently got a Canis on layaway as well. I enjoy a good Wharncliffe but it'll be a while before it comes in.

Soooo, P4 or Endura 4? Opinions?
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:04 am

P4 for me. Better ergonomics all around. If the Endura fits your hand that might level the field a bit but when most other things are equal I always side with ergonomics, even over price.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:16 am
CrustyOtter wrote:

P4 for me. Better ergonomics all around. If the Endura fits your hand that might level the field a bit but when most other things are equal I always side with ergonomics, even over price.
Thanks, I just went back and looked at the handle profiles instead of focusing on the blades. Those pointed tips on the Endura do look like they'd be problematic if they don't line up with my grip just right. That's one reason I ordered the Canis instead of the Cruwear Yojimbo 2. Of course, I'll probably get the Yojimbo and the Endura eventually as well, plus the K390 Stretch 2 - because I'm weak, I'm a weak man! ;)

edit: SE P4 in K390 inbound. Finally placed my first order with DLT Trading, I've never read anything but great reviews of their shop. I'm looking forward to finding out firsthand.

Thanks to all of you who have made thoughtful posts regarding serrated edges on the Forum, your advice has been very helpful in changing my opinion.
Jack
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:47 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:16 am
CrustyOtter wrote:

Thanks, I just went back and looked at the handle profiles instead of focusing on the blades. Those pointed tips on the Endura do look like they'd be problematic if they don't line up with my grip just right. That's one reason I ordered the Canis instead of the Cruwear Yojimbo 2. Of course, I'll probably get the Yojimbo and the Endura eventually as well, plus the K390 Stretch 2 - because I'm weak, I'm a weak man! ;)

edit: SE P4 in K390 inbound. Finally placed my first order with DLT Trading, I've never read anything but great reviews of their shop. I'm looking forward to finding out firsthand.

Thanks to all of you who have made thoughtful posts regarding serrated edges on the Forum, your advice has been very helpful in changing my opinion.
Congrats brotha! I got my Police SE from them as well. Great service! Enjoy the cardboard slayer 🤝
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:23 am

Congrats brotha! I got my Police SE from them as well. Great service! Enjoy the cardboard slayer 🤝
Thanks! I was sitting here on Easter Sunday debating more Seki City K390 and decided I really wanted a Wharncliffe as my first Delica, it should be here soon - I'll order a K390 SE D4 next time around, I'm sure it'll happen soon. I love K390, my PM2 keeps finding its way into my pocket. This SE P4 is a MONSTER! :O
Jack
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

I guess this in the year of the long knife. I just ordered the P4 SE K390.
I really don't know much about K390 though.
Mongo1958
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:37 pm
I guess this in the year of the long knife. I just ordered the P4 SE K390.
I really don't know much about K390 though.
I ordered a K390 PM 2 from Bento Box Shop early last December. I've carried it more than any other knife since then and I still haven't sharpened it yet. I love this steel.
Jack
TitaniumTroy

Post by TitaniumTroy »

I just wanted to add, the pointiest serrated Spyderco in my collection by far. Has to be my all black ATR, personally I prefer the smaller more rounded type to keep from snagging. Have you ever experimented with Cold Steel serrations smaller serrations, the problem their was resharpening.

I noticed in a close up pic, that a Stingray's dagger like tail. Has small serrations but they canted only in one direction, facing away from the point.

Sorry if covered anything that was already covered but this is a pretty long thread, thanks for posting.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

TitaniumTroy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:50 pm
I just wanted to add, the pointiest serrated Spyderco in my collection by far. Has to be my all black ATR, personally I prefer the smaller more rounded type to keep from snagging. Have you ever experimented with Cold Steel serrations smaller serrations, the problem their was resharpening.

I noticed in a close up pic, that a Stingray's dagger like tail. Has small serrations but they canted only in one direction, facing away from the point.

Sorry if covered anything that was already covered but this is a pretty long thread, thanks for posting.
Those spiky things on the stingray’s tail are barbs, not serrations. The tail is a venom delivery system intended to pierce, not a blade intended to cut. The barbs retain the tail in the target organism long enough to deliver the payload.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Yesterday's mail brought a new Harpy. It's a nice, hefty little guy that I'd been debating for the last year or so. I was surprised by the lack of jimping on the thumb ramp and the slickness of the SS handle but it's an interesting design. Not sure how this will fit in my carry rotation yet, I'll need to get more familiar with how it performs.
Jack
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:16 pm
TitaniumTroy wrote:

Those spiky things on the stingray’s tail are barbs, not serrations. The tail is a venom delivery system intended to pierce, not a blade intended to cut. The barbs retain the tail in the target organism long enough to deliver the payload.
Wow, look at this Great White sharks tooth, and it is serrated. Growing up in South Florida, I would find small sharks teeth, probably from a Nurse Shark or a Lemon Shark. They were sharp too.
Mongo1958
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Your wrong again David. Serrated blades are not better than plain edge blades.

Serrated edges are the way, the truth, and the light. Plain edges, are just raw blade stock waiting for the finishing serration grind.

The only part of a plain edge that matters is the last 1/4" of the tip. Every other part of the blade, serrated out performs 10 to 1 at every task. And every serrated spyderco has 1/4" of a plain edge at the tip. This means, plain edge knives have no need. None at all. Ive spent years carrying serrated spydercos. I sold an expensive benchmade collection because none of them had spyderco serrations. The only issue with a half serrated blade is the half that is not serrated. Serrated hawbills are the way.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

mongo1958 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 2:40 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:16 pm
TitaniumTroy wrote:

Wow, look at this Great White sharks tooth, and it is serrated. Growing up in South Florida, I would find small sharks teeth, probably from a Nurse Shark or a Lemon Shark. They were sharp too.
Imagine taking that to the foot!
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Two serrated enduras. One serrated delica. One serrated tasman. One serrated dragonfly. One serrated police. And i still cant get enough serrations.