Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Post by steelcity16 »

BD1 here as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

ZDP-189

I really enjoy my SE Endura in ZDP-189. It can be chippy and a pain to sharpen, but gets wicked sharp and holds the edge well. I know there are more suitable steels for SE, but this does everything I need of it.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

VG-10 is probably my favorite steel. However, with spyderco's consistent thin edges, I can work with pretty much all of the steels offered as the edge-angles usually match up with that of the sharpmaker.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Everything I like and use seems popular to an extent, except for maybe 3v.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

440C steel, the dendritic edition... :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For both you guys who registered VG-10 and ZDP-189 that's interesting. Because as recent as a couple or 3 years ago that just wouldn't be true. But in recent years both of them seem to have become somewhat unpopular for certain reasons. And I can't figure out why either. Because neither steel is dime store junk or Rip-Mart trash by any means. But I've sure read my share of negative comments on VG-10 in the past 18 months or so for sure.

Back around 2005 to 2009 the ZDP-189 blades were highly coveted. But not so much anymore. I hear people griping that it is a bear to sharpen but to me that's total nonsense because a well sharpened edge on a ZDP-189 blade is one nice cutting machine in my book. And I still own and use quite a few of the older Spyders with VG-10. For food processing and other everyday uses I personally find no complaints with it at all. Oh sure it's not up in the ranks of one of these newer supersteels but it sure gives you great service for everyday uses.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:12 am
440C steel, the dendritic edition... :D
I used to have about 5 blades made with 440C>> now I'm down to 2. I've got a really nice fish fillet knife made by United Cutlery with 440C and I get good service from it at the church kitchen where I do a lot of volunteer work for the homeless. OH yeah you've got to constantly be hitting it on the stone or sharpening steel to keep a high performing working edge but usually no more than once an hour or so. If you're careful not to hit the edge on a plate or metal table top you don't even have to tune it up that often. The one Spyderco and the one United Cutlery blade both with 440C that I still use both maintain a pretty decent working edge for kitchen/culinary uses.

Back in the older days ( 20 years ago or so) 440C was not considered a bad steel at all. But now a days there are so many improved blade steels I sure wouldn't pay much or trade much for a 440C blade. But if I found one at a garage sale, flea market or thrift store for a dollar or so I would grab it. Now I have heard that the one fairly recent Spyderco fixed blade model that has the 440C with the special heat treatment isn't a bad blade at all>> and I bet that's probably the one you're talking about Stuart. But I've yet to use one of those so I can't really comment on it. But I did find it interesting that they would bring back a special edition of that blade steel after all these years.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 am
For both you guys who registered VG-10 and ZDP-189 that's interesting. Because as recent as a couple or 3 years ago that just wouldn't be true. But in recent years both of them seem to have become somewhat unpopular for certain reasons. And I can't figure out why either. Because neither steel is dime store junk or Rip-Mart trash by any means. But I've sure read my share of negative comments on VG-10 in the past 18 months or so for sure.

Back around 2005 to 2009 the ZDP-189 blades were highly coveted. But not so much anymore. I hear people griping that it is a bear to sharpen but to me that's total nonsense because a well sharpened edge on a ZDP-189 blade is one nice cutting machine in my book. And I still own and use quite a few of the older Spyders with VG-10. For food processing and other everyday uses I personally find no complaints with it at all. Oh sure it's not up in the ranks of one of these newer supersteels but it sure gives you great service for everyday uses.
I blame YouTube and our need for bigger and better everything. The knife "gurus" say VG10 is low end steel, that isn't worthy of a true knife user, and Zdp-189 can only be sharpened by a mystical group of monks, secluded in the Himalayas, who specialize in the long-forgotten art of patience.
Last edited by Albatross on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

They have been overshadowed by newer, more sexy new steels but for my uses there is nothing wrong with ATS 34, ATS 55 and AUS 8 (the way Moki does it).
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

8Cr13Mov especially on Bow River. It holds the edge better than VG10 on my Delica. Sharpening response is unbeliveble. Like some carbon steel.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Igi964 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 am
8Cr13Mov especially on Bow River. It holds the edge better than VG10 on my Delica. Sharpening response is unbeliveble. Like some carbon steel.
The geometry on the Bow River puts other fixed blades to shame. That is how a small fixed blade should be ground.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Most here would think 5160 on a folder was strange but I have a Buck 110 folder with it and it's great. :)

I have an O1 folder as well. Great stuff.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

8cr and PE H1... easy to sharpen to shaving sharp. I even sharpened a Byrd Meadowlark on the bottom of a cup with good results.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 am
Most here would think 5160 on a folder was strange but I have a Buck 110 folder with it and it's great. :)

I have an O1 folder as well. Great stuff.
What's your o1 folder? I'd like one. GEC used to make their sodbuster in o1. Wish I had one.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

440C Did Spyderco ever use this?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 pm
I think it was used in a few smaller foldsrs...cat, chicago...one or both of those.

A specially heat treated version of it is used in one of their fixed blades, the Serrata.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 pm
I have an old Meerkat with a 440C blade. Nothing wrong with 440C when done right. Although I’m not into Benchmade anymore, my favorite knife of theirs was in 440C, an axis TSEK. I carried that one for about 3 years as my main EDC and I liked it and the steel.

ATS-34 isn’t one of my favorite steels, but I have an old Spyderco Wegner hunter in ATS-34 that is awesome. I don’t use it anymore, but it performed excellently. It was my only Spyderco in that steel. I’ve had mixed results with it from other makers (Benchmade).

VG-10 is still one of my favorites. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. I’m willing to bet that much of the online criticism leveled at it as “poor junk steel” comes from people jumping on the “YouTube steel guru” bandwagon with other critics. VG-10 is a LOT better knife blade steel than any of the traditional pocketknives I grew up with from Schrade, Buck, Camille’s, etc. I guess that people who really used to use their knives hard almost every day back then got by making their living using “junk.” Junk steel is a relative term, because lots of people in the past would have considered VG-10 to be “too hard.”

I love Victorinox SAK steel, but that’s outside the scope of this conversation here.

TBH, I had mixed results with ATS-55. Some of the knives I had in it were great. I had one PE Endura ‘98 (Endura 3) in ATS-55 that for whatever reason I could not get sharp, or have it keep whatever edge I got on it. That blade would also develop rust spots if I stuck my tongue out at it. I also had the same problem (but minus the easy rust) on a PE SS Dragonfly years ago. And yes, I was hitting the bevels properly. Maybe those were from defective batches? *shrug*

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

What's your o1 folder? I'd like one. GEC used to make their sodbuster in o1. Wish I had one.
Yessir, they made both slippie and one lockback model in O1. I have both and really enjoy them. I like O1 better than 1095 if it's done very well. I do like 1095 though and the old Schrade USA Old Timers were pretty much what made me like a carbon steel for my uses over most of the stainless knives of the early 70's on. The carbon steel sharpened so easier compared to some of the junk stainless that was in my price range then. Knives were under $5 tools for me then . I couldn't even afford Buck and Case knives. :)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Serrata is not using a special heat treat...it is the structure that has been altered by the casting, making the steel reform after casting in a crystaline pattern.
The edge is micro serrated by the process, and so outperforms " standard" 440C...the structure is throughout the knife, so grinding down the the rear of the handle, will reveal the same cutting ability...

Ask a user of the Serrata?

I will always be grateful to David Boye for pioneering the process.
We have never communicated, but I worked out the process over a period of time.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have a ZT with Elmax steel. Really like how it performs. Don't remember seeing it on any Spyderco knives. They probably were before my time collecting Spyderco.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red