Have you found the one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you found the perfect Spyderco for you?

Yes
51%
No
27%
Other
23%

Total votes: 97

vivi

Have you found the one?

Post by vivi »

The Pacific Salt getting discontinued by surprise really made me think about my knife collection.

I got my first one as a beater. Didn't care for it much when I got it. Used it for stuff I wouldn't use my nicer knives for. Had a list of knives I'd rather carry before pocketing one. It was a purely situational knife.

It grew on me. I started carrying it on days I didn't need a rust proof or ultra light knife.

Few years ago tried my first in SE, and it made one of my favorites perform even better for me. More aggressive cutting and a significantly thinner edge brought out higher performance than in my PE.

I have a lot of knives that do individual things better, but none can match the combination of features the Pacific Salt offers me. It's the total package: slim in the pocket, very light, rust proof, lockback with a nice closing bias, tip up, large opening hole that's well exposed, and good ergonomics.

Because it's slim, light and rust proof its comfortable in any outfit, any weather. A true 365 day carry.

When they announced it was getting cut, I knew I needed more. If I could only have one Spyderco for the rest of my life, this would be it.

I've found the perfect Spyderco for me. Have you?
:unicorn
prndltech

Re: Have you found the one?

Post by prndltech »

Same. I haven’t met you but I’m pretty sure we’re twins.

I had one in SE that’s pretty much my only dedicated folder I carry... when I heard it was discontinued I bought 5 more.

I’ve actually sold the majority of my knives due to the fact I don’t use them... I still have a few other spydies, but it’s rare for them to get carried. I use and abuse my pac salts, and favor the SE of course.
Last edited by prndltech on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yep! About 80 times

I'm not real choosy. So I could pick several models and be perfectly happy if that was the only one I have.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Native DLC comp lock. Everything I need, nothing I don't. Only took me almost 200 Spydercos to find that out. 👀
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:56 pm
Lil Native DLC comp lock. Everything I need, nothing I don't. Only took me almost 200 Spydercos to find that out. 👀
I can attest to this as well... it only took me years and thousands of dollars to figure out I like/love a sub $100 pacific salt.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted "other".

(Vivi: Thanks for choosing your "Wartstein impression" for a title photo, sure I´ll post one too ;) )

On the one hand I definitely found out what would be the in reality existing folder I´d take if I could only have one for the rest of my life:
Endura 4.
Though at the moment I can´t say if I´d take it in VG10 or in HAP 40,slightly leaning towards the latter

I am one of those who loves its ergos. I know, that some others don´t, especially people with larger hands, but I have L to XL hands and just DO.
It has the perfect bladelength (and more importantly edge-length), is rather light and slim in the pocket, hand is placed rather close to the edge in a regular grip, and I can choke up on the Ricasso as comfortably as on a decicated choil (and do so a lot).
Rather thin ffg blade with a bit stronger tip is also what I am looking for.
And it has a backlock, which is very important to me.

VG10 is a dream to sharpen and in my use more than rust proof enough
With (cladded!) HAP 40 I also did have no corrosion issues so far and it still sharpens quick enough while having great edge retention

On the other hand: Is it "the one"? Is it totally perfect? Not quite maybe... I have a feeling that the perfect knife for me could also be the already two times mentioned Pacific Salt, if it came in ffg.
Since the "salt"-part is not important to me (don´t need total rustproofness), but the lightweight and being linerless, I sometimes think:

Maybe the Endura 3 (not 4) could be the "one" for me... Never had an Endura 3, so I don´t know if ´d like the handle shape, and maybe I should just look for one and try... :rolleyes:

Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I’m close, but not quite there. It’s down to the Para 3LW, or the Lil’ Native PE compression lock. Like Spydergirl, it’s required many starts and stops to get here.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3 - perfect size, weight, fun factor.
Comes in many different flavours :)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Yes. It's the Native 5 for me.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I think so. At least for the past four years. The PM2. And as much as I like my other knives, I haven't found anything which works better overall for my uses. Not for lack of trying.

And although I have a few in different steel, I wouldn't mind adding a variation of this model - LW would be one; I would try it in SE; different lock type, no problem; fixed blade would be nice too.

I know I enjoy carrying and using other models in some situations. But I also know this one would work just fine during any of those times.
Peter
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have found the perfect spyderco, but it doesn’t exist yet. the manix 2 lw is my favorite pocket knife of all time. however, i tend to pair it with my se pacific salt, which is also great. bringing the two together to make a pe manix 2 lw salt in lc200n and black with dlc would really be my perfect spyderco. that sounds super specific, but it’s not far from possible with current production and i think it would sell like crazy.

like you alluded to in your post, vivi, the salt models kind of beg to be abused. i love mine for that reason and would really love to see a salt version of my favorite model.

that said, i’d still call it about as close to perfect as there is for now. xhp is good to go and i’m glad i was able to get that instead of the bd1 for only $5 more.

and, of course, death to pins.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
the only thing holding me back from this knife is i’m hoping they make it in lc200n someday. same knife in all black with liners and g10, but salted.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

For me, it’s the manix xl and shaman equally, closely followed by the zdp/cf caly 3.5. I have to force myself to carry my other primary knives or I wouldn’t carry them at all.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endela,for me.My most carried knife was the Delica,but i felt it was a little too small,sometimes.The Endura was too big most of the times.Now if only the Endy will come out in denim blue scales it will be my dream folder.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Bow River.
Phil Wilson knife for everyone. Real winner. **** of a slicer, compact, easy to carry, fit and finish is very, very good, nice round G10 handle and for the price, it is a steal:)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

for me it is the para 3 and lil native combination. i need some sprints of the lil native and a few more of the para 3.

perfect sizes and weight, now just waiting on the sprints i want.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted NO. Because with the wide range of Spyderco knives I own much less all the others I've accumulated over the years there just isn't one particular fixed blade or folder that meets all my needs.

Also I never carry just one folder>> I always have some type of "companion folder" that I carry for some of my special needs. I usually always have either a fully serrated Hawkbill or another fully serrated blade to go with my main EDC which is usually a plain edged unit.

I've yet to find any knife that can "do it all" >> The closest folder I've found that I could get by on in a typical day would be my double bladed, Spyderco C-44 Dyad model ( the original ATS-55 unit).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I voted "Other" because, for me, there's no single Spyderco that's "the one" but there are .

I love the Stretch and carry one almost every time I leave the house. However, I have to go into Greenville every once in a while, like today to get my one car serviced, and can't carry anything with a blade over 3" there legally and don't like to be without a knife, so it's my favorite large Spyderco folder and I doubt there will ever be on to replace it, but it can't be "the one".

I love my Kiwis, I consider them functional jewelry and they're the only jewelry I ever wear, but they're not as practical as the Stretch for some tasks. So, while it's been my favorite small Spyderco folder for 16 years and probably will be for the rest of my life, the Kiwi can't be "the one".

I love my K05 and my modified K04 "mini santoku", but they rarely leave the kitchen, so neither could be "the one".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope. I've found very good ones and I guess maybe I could narrow it down to the best current one for me but even the best aren't perfect for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Gayle Bradley 1 for Dry stuff

Pacific Salt for Wet Stuff

As many have mentioned above, the pacific Salt punches way above its price point. The one knife I have always bought back ups to have at least 2or3 spare at anytime
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.