Have you found the one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you found the perfect Spyderco for you?

Yes
51%
No
27%
Other
23%

Total votes: 97

benben

Re: Have you found the one?

Post by benben »

I'm going to say nope, but my SE Pacific Salt, my Yojimbo 2, and my Lil' Native are my "one combination" that I could get by with for just about anything these days!

I'm really late to the serrated Pacific Salt party but now I do understand Vivi and Gringo's appreciation for this workhorse of a knife!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Either the Native 5 or the Shaman. Realistically it’s the N5 because I don’t need the extra size and heft of the Shaman I just like it. It took me a while to come to this conclusion but I’ve realized it’s really the only knife I’d ever need... I just have a hard time admitting I’ve found a perfect knife because I want to keep buying them lol
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:03 am

I'm really late to the serrated Pacific Salt party but now I do understand Vivi and Gringo's appreciation for this workhorse of a knife!
May I ask: How do you personally think the sabre-hollow grind of the Pac Salt SE affects its performance? Be it positive or negative (or not at all)? I´d especially be interested in experiences concerning cutting stuff as high or higher as the blade is (so not paracord, but rather cardboard, larger fruits and so on...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:20 am
benben wrote:

May I ask: How do you personally think the sabre-hollow grind of the Pac Salt SE affects its performance? Be it positive or negative (or not at all)? I´d especially be interested in experiences concerning cutting stuff as high or higher as the blade is (so not paracord, but rather cardboard, larger fruits and so on...)
Over the years I’ve never come across anything it wouldn’t separate into 2 pieces fairly quickly and easily, be it in the kitchen or elsewhere.

The current iteration of SE pac salts may not be the best at everything but for me they will do everything.

While I like FFG blades and all, I have no issue with hollow or saber grinds. So for me I’d say it’s nil.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

No "one model to rule them all" for me, but part of the fun for me is the search, and there are many that I love. But if I could design my ideal spydie, it'd somehow combine the ergos and blade shape of the delica with the corner flipper tab and button comp lock of the Smock. Not sure how that'd be possible, but if anyone could figure it out, it'd be spyderco.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:

Over the years I’ve never come across anything it wouldn’t separate into 2 pieces fairly quickly and easily, be it in the kitchen or elsewhere.

The current iteration of SE pac salts may not be the best at everything but for me they will do everything.

While I like FFG blades and all, I have no issue with hollow or saber grinds. So for me I’d say it’s nil.

Thanks for your reply!
You know, I more and more really want to try a Pac Salt, but am at the same time so "freshly amazed" with the work my serrated Endela does - in FFG. Much better compared to my sabre (but not hollow!!) grind Delica CE and Endura CE serrations.
That´s why I am asking.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I voted YES.

I spent years trying out different models and exotic steels always looking for THE ONE. I really wasn't a fan of the Military before the TI/CF S90V with the R.I.L., I actually had a DLC Military in the collection but only used it sparingly. I think it was the addition of the R.I.L. that put it over the top for me. I've had it almost two years and it gets 99% of the pocket time. Occasionally I carry the Manix 2 or PM2 just for kicks, but they seem so small now... like I don't have enough blade to do anything.

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:34 am
prndltech wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:

Thanks for your reply!
You know, I more and more really want to try a Pac Salt, but am at the same time so "freshly amazed" with the work my serrated Endela does - in FFG. Much better compared to my sabre (but not hollow!!) grind Delica CE and Endura CE serrations.
That´s why I am asking.
Saber ground Enduras come thicker than Pacific Salts.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hopweaver wrote:
I voted YES.

I spent years trying out different models and exotic steels always looking for THE ONE. I really wasn't a fan of the Military before the TI/CF S90V with the R.I.L., I actually had a DLC Military in the collection but only used it sparingly. I think it was the addition of the R.I.L. that put it over the top for me. I've had it almost two years and it gets 99% of the pocket time. Occasionally I carry the Manix 2 or PM2 just for kicks, but they seem so small now... like I don't have enough blade to do anything.

Nice photo! I never did try the frame lock versions, but the G10 Military was a favorite of mine for many years. I can see why anyone would choose it.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Saber ground Enduras come thicker than Pacific Salts.
Thanks Vivi!

I guess now it´s about time for me to stop being a wimp, pull the trigger and try for myself.. ;)
Even if that means no new trail running shoes but running a bit longer in the worn-out ones with the holes... :D
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

For me, it's a moving target. I've owned some for years before I rediscovered them and they became my EDC.

:)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It's not about perfection for me. Variety is fun, both in steels and models.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I selected "other". I can't tell you how many times I've told myself I've found "the one", only to realize another model may be better suited. My latest "the one" is my HAP40 Endura. Fantastic knife! And like Wartstein said, I also have no issues with the handle.

However, my fickleness reaches further than just knives. Without going into too much detail, I feel the need to also have extra tools/capability as part of my edc. Even just the ability to pry, scrape, dig, and turn some screws is satisfactory. In addition, I hate redundancy and love minimalism.

For several months, I forced myself to carry a dedicated knife, a pliers-based multitool, and Vic Classic to supplement. That's way too much redundancy for me, but that was the best system I found at the time. The other day I received the Clipitool Standard in the mail and, once again, I think I've found "the one". ;)

All this to say, the Clipitool Standard seems to be the answer to my problem -- just enough utility plus a Spyder blade all in one package. I'm already considering shortening the blade to 2.5" or 3" and making it SE.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am
Hopweaver wrote:
I voted YES.

Nice photo! I never did try the frame lock versions, but the G10 Military was a favorite of mine for many years. I can see why anyone would choose it.
I too, thought military was the perfect knife for me for a long, long time. The endura as well. Both before the pac salt really started to shine.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I voted yes because i've been through many phases of likes/dislikes over the years and lots of buying/trying/selling trying to find the one. The Cruwear Delica is about as good as its gonna get for me I think. A nice strong FRN backlock with my favorite blade steel. I still haven't tried an Endela, Endura, Stretch Straight Spine, or Police LW, so if there are Cruwear exclusives of any of those, they may very well replace my current "the one". But for now, the Cruwear Delica is my soulmate.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I haven't found a knife with absolutely perfect ergos. The Shaman is close, but to be honest, despite me liking the absence of a thumb ramp, I often feel like something is missing when I put my thumb on the spine. Maybe the mini-thumb ramp on the manix is perfect for me? Perhaps a Manix XL with contoured handles like the Shaman would be the one. The combination of the rounded handle, the sheer size of the handle filling my grip, and the pinky hook anchoring my grip in would be phenomenal.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:

Thanks for your reply!
That´s why I am asking.

I want to try an Endela in SE... buttttt I’m holding out for a SE police LW 😉
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Voted 'other'.. I honestly could live the rest of my life with a Delica, but i'd hate to give up buying other knives :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Not really.

For me, my interest in knives is beginning to shift from "trying to find the perfect knife" to enjoying and appreciating the variety that Spyderco offers. I like so many different steels and design features that I'm not sure my hypothetical "perfect" knife could even exist.

Of the ones I own, though, I'd say the Autonomy 2 is closest.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Voted no.

However, in Wartstein’s confiscation thread, I did say the Spydie I’d claw back first would be my SE Pacific Salt.

And, I must add, the disco announcement got me to buy a backup SE Pacific Salt (I don’t do backups ordinarily), as well as an SE Pacific Salt for my daughter on her 41st birthday (her first Spydie, because she should have at least one, like it or not).

So, I suppose I respect the SE Pacific Salt most of all my Spydies because it can do it all anywhere, and at a ridiculously fair price for all that.

But I don’t love my SE Pacific Salt. For it to be “the one”, it must have my total affection, and it doesn’t.

Other Spydies do have my total affection, but all are functionally wanting in some way or other. And none should be wanting at all if it is to be “the one”.

Truth be told, I’m not seeking the perfect Spydie, but I’m hardly opposed to letting it find me. It’s a journey vs. destination thing for me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”