Have you found the one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you found the perfect Spyderco for you?

Yes
51%
No
27%
Other
23%

Total votes: 97

Mushroom

Re: Have you found the one?

Post by Mushroom »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 am
Voted 'other'.. I honestly could live the rest of my life with a Delica, but i'd hate to give up buying other knives :)
Nailed it! There are a number of models I like enough that I could settle with as “the one”, but that’s not why I buy knives in the first place. So I voted “other”.

Many years ago, before I started collecting, I would have said the Lil Native is “the one” for a few reasons. The first being, it has a 2.5” blade, keeping it legal to carry in my jurisdiction at the time. Next, the blade doesn’t have a hump for the Spydie hole, which was one of the things that initially steered me away from Spyderco. (Fortunately, I’ve grown to greatly appreciate it) Lastly, it has G10 scales, which, for some reason, I was prioritizing at the time. Also, did and still do love the wire clip.
-Nick :bug-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

“Other”

My most often carried is my M4 para 3.

I find I prefer different knives for different uses. I love the tool steels, but being in Florida there are times the rust proof Salt 2 is the right choice. I swim with it in the gulf and ocean. I wouldn’t do that with M4!

Could I get by with LC200N or H1? I suppose. But I love my M4 and cruwear. Need to give my rex45 a try, those knives are “in queue”. Would like to try K390, and may be making my first BBS purchase.

I have thought about getting a pac salt... wish I could get a black blade with yellow handle though.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:27 am

I have thought about getting a pac salt... wish I could get a black blade with yellow handle though.
Buy 2, swap the blade and have one backup!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Voted "other." I've found "my type" for my usual edc (there are certainly a few models that I prefer over others and carry with greater regularity), but I hesitate to declare that I'd be perfectly satisfied with one specific knife (or model of knife) for the rest of my days. As others have mentioned, I prefer different knives for different tasks/working environments/etc.. Sure, if we get all hypothetical, I could probably pick one.. but ultimately, I enjoy the variety.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
sok

Post by sok »

I thought so. I went for several years where the Caly 3.5 was king. Last summer(2018), I slapped some carbon fiber scales on my Paramilitary 2 and it has been a battle between the Caly and the Para 2/3 in some form.

I received an Advocate yesterday. This may have been a game changer. I just need to get through the honeymoon stage.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Manix 2 LW. I'd like to try the G10 models, but I am happy with the FRCP. I could live with that if that was the last and only knife I had for the rest of my life.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2 has really dominated my pocket the last three years more than any other Spydie, but I'm not sure I'll ever find "the one". I like variety and currently enjoy many models and steels.

Like many things, it's become about the journey for me, not the necessarily the destination.
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ez556 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:55 am
Manix 2 LW. I'd like to try the G10 models, but I am happy with the FRCP. I could live with that if that was the last and only knife I had for the rest of my life.
Ditto.
carrot

Post by carrot »

To be honest, my carry rotates all the time.

I've spent a lot of time single-carrying the PM/PM2, Manix, Para 3, Delica, Chaparral, Dragonfly, Manbug, and even the Military. They're all great and I rarely feel underprepared carrying any of them.

My carry often changes with the season as I enjoy carrying burlier knives when I'm in jeans and lighter knives when I'm wearing shorts. I carried FRN all summer this year up until I really, really missed G-10 and slipped a Para 3 S110V into my pocket.

Truth be told, before I really caught the Spyderco bug I carried a Caly3 for years. I could just carry its more refined sibling, the Chaparral, forever. But that might get boring :D
benben

Post by benben »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:20 am
benben wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:03 am

I'm really late to the serrated Pacific Salt party but now I do understand Vivi and Gringo's appreciation for this workhorse of a knife!
May I ask: How do you personally think the sabre-hollow grind of the Pac Salt SE affects its performance? Be it positive or negative (or not at all)? I´d especially be interested in experiences concerning cutting stuff as high or higher as the blade is (so not paracord, but rather cardboard, larger fruits and so on...)
Last night I cut up a Sugar Kiss melon, and a pretty big one at that. This serrated blade absolutely glided through that melon like air, and the rind had just minimal resistance, so much I made dang sure I knew exactly where my left hand was at all times! I don't cut up much cardboard but the 10 or so pieces I have cut up, especially the very first piece REALLY impressed me! Seriously, like butter!

I like this hollow grind, I can understand why so many people like FFG better, I like both! But I really like the stout tip of a hollow grind, will it pierce a hole as easily as my Yojimbo or my Urban.....no! But it will pierce a hole and I'll probably never have to worry about snapping the tip off!

I put off buying a Pacific Salt for probably 3 years, and it was on an actual "to purchase next" list I kept but some other knife always got pushed ahead of it, in the meanwhile I would read everyday just how awesome a knife it is........yeah yeah, blah blah......from some guy who lives in the tropics and fishes from a kayak everyday! Sometimes I don't like (read jealousy) that fishing guy! :rolleyes: :D

Bottom line......should have bought me a SE Pacific Salt 3 years ago, turns out fishing man knew exactly what he was talking about!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

carrot wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:16 am
To be honest, my carry rotates all the time.
Mine too. But at this point it's just for fun. If I was down to just one Spyderco, and it was the Maxamet Manix 2 LW, I'd be good for life. If I could only have three, I'd add the K390 Urban (for travel to eEurope) and the 4v Lil Native (for travel to the PRC, where my parents live).
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Pacific Salt. I really can’t wait for the 2 next year.
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

For me it’s military...I’ve been using a plane Jane digi Camo military in S30V for years...The other favorite is the pm2.However I just am stuck on the military...
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Only one? I mostly carry 2 or 3 knives at the same time. It can’t be only one for me. I also enjoy the differences to much. I voted other. Not searching for the one.
Imprezed

Post by Imprezed »

Spyderco stretch for me please. I love the ergos and balance as they fit my hand perfectly. Blade shape/length are awesome as well. Have about 5 stretches in my collection and hope to add more.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Over the years the Caly 3.5 has been my most carried knife. If they could "saltify" it with LC it would likely become "the one" Also if a Mantra 2XL in LC were made, keeping the ti scales and losing the bearings it could possibly be the one. Love the blade shape on this knife and it disappears in the pocket. Full cutting edge and wire clip. Just a great design. Pillar construction makes for ease of cleaning. Knowing Spyderco and crew, "the one" may still be yet to come.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:59 am
I haven't found a knife with absolutely perfect ergos. The Shaman is close, but to be honest, despite me liking the absence of a thumb ramp, I often feel like something is missing when I put my thumb on the spine. Maybe the mini-thumb ramp on the manix is perfect for me? Perhaps a Manix XL with contoured handles like the Shaman would be the one. The combination of the rounded handle, the sheer size of the handle filling my grip, and the pinky hook anchoring my grip in would be phenomenal.
I've been thinking about hand contouring my Manix XL. I feel it could take the ergos to the next level.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
“Other”

I find I prefer different knives for different uses. I love the tool steels, but being in Florida there are times the rust proof Salt 2 is the right choice. I swim with it in the gulf and ocean. I wouldn’t do that with M4!

Could I get by with LC200N or H1? I suppose. But I love my M4 and cruwear. Need to give my rex45 a try, those knives are “in queue”. Would like to try K390, and may be making my first BBS purchase.

If you buy two and do a swap I'll buy a black handle satin blade one from you.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:30 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
“Other”

If you buy two and do a swap I'll buy a black handle satin blade one from you.
Tempting......
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

Voted Yes!

Ed Schempp Persian,Black Micarta,C83BMP and Red Buffed G-10, C83GPRD. Great ergonomics, great for slicing, easy to carry, VG-10 is easy to sharpen.