Massdrop (Drop) Supergold back in stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Massdrop (Drop) Supergold back in stock

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
p_atrick

Re: Massdrop (Drop) Supergold back in stock

Post by p_atrick »

I'd love to see the P4 LW added to this list. I've come to really like it, much more than I expected. That gold lock bar is nice.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Thanks for posting.

:)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Delica is no longer available.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Is SG2 considered "stainless"? What are it's true stainless characteristics? ZDP is considered "stainless" but it rusts quite easily. How does SG@ do around water? Thanks
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Tdog wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 pm
Is SG2 considered "stainless"? What are it's true stainless characteristics? ZDP is considered "stainless" but it rusts quite easily. How does SG@ do around water? Thanks
Disclaimer: There are plenty of people here who are much smarter when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I try and pay attention. I might be wrong, and if so please pay attention to those with more knowledge.

ZDP is only considered "stainless" if you look at the chromium content by itself. At somewhere around the 13% mark, a steel is considered to be stainless. However, ZDP often has more than twice as much carbon as your typical stainless steel (it has cast iron levels of carbon). Most of the chromium is bound up with all that extra carbon to form chromium carbides (which gives the steel its wear resistance). So there is not enough chromium in the solution to provide the stain resistance you would assume.

I believe that SG2 is stainless even though it is cladded. CoS (another stainless steel) is often laminated as well.

EDIT: Putting out the knife signal for help with the "ZDP isn't stainless" thing.
Last edited by p_atrick on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Tdog wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 pm
I think the stainless definition doesn't take into account steels like zdp189 and probably was defined long before it was even an idea in someones head. I believe supergold is very popular is kitchen cutlery in Japan and like most carbon steels you don't have issues as long as you keep it dry after your task. A bit harder with a folder in your pocket but that's why it's clad I guess.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I always miss the SG Delica...

I wish they'd do an Endela or something in it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson